Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

wtf, My car is Cali spec???

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 02:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

wtf, My car is Cali spec???

Ok, so today i was ordering up my diff. bearings and some other stuff, including an o2 sensor, so after I gave the infiniti part's guy my vin, he comes back and says a minute later, "wow, hey, did you know your car is cali spec?" I replied "No it's not, I just replaced one upstream and the only downstream o2 not long ago and theres definitly only three" I didn't beleive him, but for sits and giggles I popped the hood and started looking at the 'emmisions label' and sure enough... "this car conforms to all federal epa and california emmisions...." So he says, yeah see, the computer is right. So later on he says to me, "hey, you're right, your car does only have 3 o2's, that's weird"

So, I'm really confused here, why is my car cali spec, it was bought new at a massachusetts dealer? Also, asides from 4 o2's, which my car definitly doesn't have, what are the other differences between the cali and fed cars? Obviously the ecus are different. is there a way I can decode my ecu part # to see if it has a cali ecu in it? I'm confused here, and I want to make sure I'm not down a few horses because of any emissions crap that I shouldn't have. it's a '96 stick.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:52 PM

You know, thats so wierd.

I gave my VIN to the dealer and he told me that my 2000 I30 is a Federal model.

I then lifted the car and checked underneath it, I have FOUR (4) O2 sensors.

???? What gives???

- Omar
Old 12-24-2005, 06:11 AM

you should look at your emmisions label, I'm curious what it says
Old 12-24-2005, 07:42 AM

Well the reason is......Japan sends the cars here to cali not to NY or something. When they come here to japan they get shipped everywhere and thats why there are soo many cali specs. Even my car is cali spec and I live in NY. Its no big deal just when you start gettin rid of cats, youll feel a nice difference in pic-up hehehe
Old 12-26-2005, 09:49 AM

Well that explains it a little, but I found out some more confusing stuff at the bar last night, My freind's '96 is also cali spec and has 4 o2 sensors!
Old 12-27-2005, 11:21 AM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
Ok, so today i was ordering up my diff. bearings and some other stuff, including an o2 sensor, so after I gave the infiniti part's guy my vin, he comes back and says a minute later, "wow, hey, did you know your car is cali spec?" I replied "No it's not, I just replaced one upstream and the only downstream o2 not long ago and theres definitly only three" I didn't beleive him, but for sits and giggles I popped the hood and started looking at the 'emmisions label' and sure enough... "this car conforms to all federal epa and california emmisions...." So he says, yeah see, the computer is right. So later on he says to me, "hey, you're right, your car does only have 3 o2's, that's weird"

So, I'm really confused here, why is my car cali spec, it was bought new at a massachusetts dealer? Also, asides from 4 o2's, which my car definitly doesn't have, what are the other differences between the cali and fed cars? Obviously the ecus are different. is there a way I can decode my ecu part # to see if it has a cali ecu in it? I'm confused here, and I want to make sure I'm not down a few horses because of any emissions crap that I shouldn't have. it's a '96 stick.
There is no difference between 96-98 fed and cali spec emissions. The difference between the two occured in 99 in the form of a third precat that is built into one of the exhaust manifolds.

I have a 97 with the fed spec sticker under the hood and my fried has a 96 5spd with the fed & cali spec sticker and the cars are mechanically identical inside and out in that regard.