Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Projector Headlights??? Can it be done?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 07:20 AM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

Projector Headlights??? Can it be done?

I have been browsing the 5.5 and 4th gen threads and I am really envious on some of these guys rides out here that have the HID Projectors from other manufacturers on their car. Like the X5, A4, E55 and other projectors seem to look very nice on the 5.5 gen maximas.

I know we all talk about HID kits for fogs and headlights but, has anyone thought of a projector look for the headlights? Can this be done? I have already opened my headlights to clear them before so, adding projectors should not be that hard. I wouldn't mind using are stock HID bulbs, I just want the projector look. (o-o)

Kings, Nocturnal or Sy? Any suggestions?
Old 01-26-2006, 07:48 AM
Got Projectors?

There's no reason why you couldn't do it. Lots of tutorials out there. Just get a projector that will fit and mount it in there. You already have the ballasts.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:26 AM
Tha Snatcher

It's very possible. I bet they'd look bad *** in your headlamps. If you want to do more research on the subject, i'd recommend going to www.hidplanet.com/forums and taking a look around.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just received the extra headlight I ordered off ebay. I'm slowly working on it lately Lee. You better not beat me! lol. I'm using MDX projectors and gonna mount them in my stock headlights. Really just need ballasts. I'm gonna try and see if I can find some way to mount them so they'd still be aimable up and down using the stock aiming screws.

Want to order another pair of angel eyes and see if I can put brighter LEDs in too.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:44 AM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

Originally Posted by Iron Scimitar
It's very possible. I bet they'd look bad *** in your headlamps. If you want to do more research on the subject, i'd recommend going to www.hidplanet.com/forums and taking a look around.
Hey Iron - Thanks for the reply. I know you have put projectors in your car (seen it in person) and was wondering how hard was the install? Did corey help you or this was something you did on your own? Were the projectors a direct fit to your one piece lamp or did you have to do some glueing and other stuff?

I will check the link you supplied us....
Old 01-26-2006, 11:03 AM

If you want to install projectors it is not exactly a plug and play thing. You have to cut apart your reflector and prolly the back of the lamp, find a way to mount it and then fit some sort of shroud around the projector so it will look good from inside the lamp.

Projectors would look great on the A33, but It looks like a large task. I would definitely want some extra lamps for this job.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:18 AM
Tha Snatcher

Originally Posted by leeI35
Hey Iron - Thanks for the reply. I know you have put projectors in your car (seen it in person) and was wondering how hard was the install? Did corey help you or this was something you did on your own? Were the projectors a direct fit to your one piece lamp or did you have to do some glueing and other stuff?

I will check the link you supplied us....
Nah, Corey didn't help me. I had a friend from Phily do mine although I'll be doing another set on my own as soon as I get another set of headlamps. The projectors aren't a direct fit. What you do is separate the headlamp from the aiming braket. Once is apart, you use a dremel or a rotory saw and cut the rear of the headlamp so the rear of the projector fits.

There's a lot of trial and error performing a retrofit.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:03 PM

I have been browsing the 5.5 and 4th gen threads and I am really envious on some of these guys rides out here that have the HID Projectors from other manufacturers on their car. Like the X5, A4, E55 and other projectors seem to look very nice on the 5.5 gen maximas.

I know we all talk about HID kits for fogs and headlights but, has anyone thought of a projector look for the headlights? Can this be done? I have already opened my headlights to clear them before so, adding projectors should not be that hard. I wouldn't mind using are stock HID bulbs, I just want the projector look. (o-o)

Kings, Nocturnal or Sy? Any suggestions?
Lee.... GO FOR IT!! It will definitely look good see below
Old 01-26-2006, 12:37 PM

i wish somebody would have said something sooner. i just sold a set of projectors for Lexus Ls 430, shrouds and all. they went for $900. and i also had a set of Q45 projectors, those i let go for $700., i would have gladly sold it at cost for you guys. these cost me $400.00 for both sets. i got the entire headlamps from a junk yard. my plan was to retro them into both sets off headlamps i had and sell one to recover costs, but with getting sick and my CTS getting worst my retro days are just about over. i'll keep an eye out for any more lamps, but these cars are hard to find in a junk yard, it took almost two years tofind them.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:01 PM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

Originally Posted by kingofsorrow
i wish somebody would have said something sooner. i just sold a set of projectors for Lexus Ls 430, shrouds and all. they went for $900. and i also had a set of Q45 projectors, those i let go for $700., i would have gladly sold it at cost for you guys. these cost me $400.00 for both sets. i got the entire headlamps from a junk yard. my plan was to retro them into both sets off headlamps i had and sell one to recover costs, but with getting sick and my CTS getting worst my retro days are just about over. i'll keep an eye out for any more lamps, but these cars are hard to find in a junk yard, it took almost two years tofind them.
Kings -

I would not want a set of high end projectors, they cost $$$$$. I just need any set of projectors to test out the retro-fit. I was looking on ebay and found some off of certain vehicles for like $50-$100. NewLove had a good idea with the MDX projectors, I saw them too, however he did say something so I will not buy those yet. My brother has a TSX and I would love to rip his headlights out and try his LOL. I think any SUV with the wider and taller headlamps would work good with our cars since the headlights shroud is so damn big.

I need to get a pair of those ebay I30 cefiro head lamps so, I can have a test copy before messing with my OEM stock lamps.

Sy- do you have a cheap pair or old pair of 2000-2001 I30 non-HID lights I can tool with??
Old 01-26-2006, 02:04 PM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

Originally Posted by SYCEFIRO
Lee.... GO FOR IT!! It will definitely look good see below
Sy - Is that your cefiro? If so, did your front bumper come like that? I luv the lower grill. Is that a insert??
Old 01-26-2006, 02:29 PM

The bumpers do come like that overseas (well in some markets). It is not an insert.

Those look like some huge projectors in there though. I would like something a bit smaller with a larger shroud, maybe from a 3 series.

Kings, if you do find another pair of Q projectors please let me know. I think those would look killer painted black and fitted into my headlamps.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:00 PM

Sy- do you have a cheap pair or old pair of 2000-2001 I30 non-HID lights I can tool with??
today is your lucky day. i have a pair of I30 halogen headlamps. i'll pm you when i get home tonight with a price.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by NewLoveI30
Kings, if you do find another pair of Q projectors please let me know. I think those would look killer painted black and fitted into my headlamps.
i'm working on getting another set. if the deal comes thru i'll let you know. it should be about 2 weeks before i hear from my hookup.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:43 PM

If you're talking about me and the MDX projectors Lee, grab a set if you can get them. They take some modification to fit a D2S bulb though. Dr Roy has a DIY tutorial on his cardomain page. He also shows how MDX projectors can be modded for more color at the cutoff.

I'll try to do one this weekend and get pics posted. Won't be going on my car anytime soon though.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:46 PM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

Originally Posted by StL I30
If you're talking about me and the MDX projectors Lee, grab a set if you can get them. They take some modification to fit a D2S bulb though. Dr Roy has a DIY tutorial on his cardomain page. He also shows how MDX projectors can be modded for more color at the cutoff.

I'll try to do one this weekend and get pics posted. Won't be going on my car anytime soon though.
Sorry Stl I30 - I meant to say you had the idea with the MDX projectors, hehe.

So guys, what projectors are out there that we can use on the I30/I35 that are not too hard to do with the retro-fit. I really want something simple and nice looking like the Acura-Audi-Bmw projectors. I am guessing whatever we look for, the shroud has to be large enough to fit our headlamps right?
Old 01-26-2006, 07:35 PM

The MDX projectors need modification to fit a D2S bulb? I thought that's what they were designed to use.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:43 PM

NewLove, I'm pretty sure the MDX use H11 from the factory.

Thought about picking up another pair for the high beam location and using the halogen with them. Maybe mount them upside down or just remove the cutoff shield. Alot of work for lights I barely use though, but it would look good. My old non-hid ES300 had 3 sets of projectors. Low, high, and yellow fogs. Loved that.

Yellow fog projectors will be a future project.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:33 PM

Wow, I just checked and the MDX does have halogen projectors... I thought HID was at least an option.

Personally, if and when I do decide to do a projector retro, I will definitely be using projectors that were designed for a D2S in the first place. If Im going to do all that work and spend the money, I want the best coverage I can get. After all, this isn't all about looks for me.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:54 PM

you should do some more checking NewLove.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/578450/6

Nice cutoff, nice coverage. Looks pretty damn good to me. But to each his own I guess.

Go look at an H11 bulb, than a D2S, than come back and tell me if the filaments are in the same location.

If they didn't work well, people wouldn't be using them.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:40 AM
Got Projectors?

I think what NewLove was saying was that if he was going through the trouble of a retrofit he would go ahead and use OEM HID projectors rather than retro-fitting the projectors for the retrofit.

That said though, there are some halogen bulb types that are better candidates for retrofit than others. I'm not familiar with H11 bulbs, but I know that there are H7 projector units out there that are virtually identical if not identical to other D2S units.

What StL said about the position of the filament versus where the position of the arc of a D2S bulb is very important. It's also one of the reasons why a HID retrofit into a H3 based reflector or projector is a bad idea. H3 bulbs have transverse filaments (whereas D2S and D2R bulbs have axial arcs).
Old 01-28-2006, 03:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have xenon headlamps and one went out. Can anybody point me in the right direction to buy a replacement? I want it to be the same quality. And about how much $ will it cost?

I just bought a 2000 Infiniti I30T and one of the headlamp's light is out. BTW, I tried to create a new thread after searching around this forum a little bit, but i couldn't...I'd really appreciate any help!
Old 01-28-2006, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by chek1234
I have xenon headlamps and one went out. Can anybody point me in the right direction to buy a replacement? I want it to be the same quality. And about how much $ will it cost?

I just bought a 2000 Infiniti I30T and one of the headlamp's light is out. BTW, I tried to create a new thread after searching around this forum a little bit, but i couldn't...I'd really appreciate any help!
Is it just a HID bulb? Try putting the bulb from the working headlight into the bad one. If the bulb works in both locations, replacements can be found for around $100.00. make sure you get D2R, not D2S.

If that didn't work, look at the wiring, and the ballast.

Try Googling for the best place to buy replacement bulbs, or search here. 4300k D2R is what you need. Phillips/Osram are of higher quality as well.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:38 PM

you should do some more checking NewLove.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/578450/6

Nice cutoff, nice coverage. Looks pretty damn good to me. But to each his own I guess.

Go look at an H11 bulb, than a D2S, than come back and tell me if the filaments are in the same location.

If they didn't work well, people wouldn't be using them.
Wasn't trying to step on any toes bud. I've read a lot about the MDX conversion and it does have very good results. I was just stating that I will be going a different route when I choose to do a retro.

Go look for a bottle of sedatives and come back with a better attitude.

Good luck with the retro as well. I will be very interested in seeing the final product.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:15 PM

well im not gutsy enough to try the retofit but im reading on and hopefully someone can do this
Old 01-28-2006, 10:22 PM
Donating i30 Owner

... buy the after market lights of ebay.. then replace the plastic glass with the OEM glass form ur headlights.. but dont cut into ur OEM lights..
Old 01-31-2006, 09:01 AM

Well, my progress so far:

Waiting on angel eyes to continue. Cutting shroud this week.

Sorry to NewLove, misunderstood you. Good luck with your retro, I'm sure it'll turn out good.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:24 AM

Props to you STL... Do you already have them mounted, or is it a test fit?

Either way it looks good already. What shroud are you planning to use?
Old 01-31-2006, 11:43 AM
Tha Snatcher

Well, my progress so far:

Waiting on angel eyes to continue. Cutting shroud this week.

Sorry to NewLove, misunderstood you. Good luck with your retro, I'm sure it'll turn out good.
wow, you didn't pop off the front lens at all?
Old 01-31-2006, 12:21 PM

Thanks NewLove. I run a CNC waterjet, among other duties, at my company, so I'm thinking of cutting a dog bowl to use as the shroud. Still gotta do alittle searching to see if there is something better.

Iron.... no I did remove it, I just put the lens back on for the pics.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:08 PM

Man if someone could produce headlights like the 1pc cefire, with projectors and the angel eyes for day running lights, that would sell like hotcakes.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:28 PM

One piece Cefiro's with dual High/low projectors FTW!

You should be the first Monty
Old 02-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Donating i30 Owner

.. im selling my bi xenon projectors and auxilary light that fit into the a32 headlight PERFECTLY... the link is below to the Pic of the headlights i had... take a look in my sig