Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

NOOBIES: The "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 04:14 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

This thread is for the new members so that they are able to post a LEGITIMATE question. It can be ANYTHING that is I30/35 related and NOT covered in the existing sticky threads. If we think it is important, we will either answer or make it into its own thread. If not, we will delete it.

This is only for LEGIT I30/35 questions that may be specific to one user.

This is for noobs only and will be open only as long as we feel like maintaining it. SPAM OR POSTWHORING WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.

I got this idea from another forum and will try it here...

ALL MEMBER RESPONSES MUST BE A QUOTE OF THE ORIGINAL QUESTION! New questions, obviously, need not have any quotes.

Postwhoring will not be tolerated! If you get an answer to your question, please move along. If you have a followup, by all means, post it. We don't need 10,000 posts thanking someone for helping them out. These will be deleted.

Here are some links that will also be helpful:

4th gen FAQs (READ ME! PLEASE! READ ME!):
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=53828

Modification and other HOW-Tos (tells you how to do common things done to 4th Gens):
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=385898

ECU Fault codes or Check Engine light diagnostics (4th Gen):
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=76800

5th gen FAQs (READ ME! PLEASE! READ ME!):
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=28014

Modification and other HOW-Tos (tells you how to do common things done to 5th Gens):
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=25552

ECU Fault codes or Check Engine light diagnostics (5th Gen):
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=279360

[color=red]THIS IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR SEARCH!!!
How do I search? http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=375724

Last edited by i30ds; 09-22-2007 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:09 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by axlebear
I have just registered but am not allowed to post a question on the site yet.
I have the service engine soon light on. I tried to read the codes using instructions for a earlier Maxima vehicle but the 2000 I30 I have is different.
Does anybody know the proceedure for obtaining the codes from the ECU on a 2000 I30?
Welcome to the site!

You really have to go to somewhere that has an obd2 scanner. It is the only way that I know of to pull codes on the 2000 and newer models. I know that autozone will pull them for you for free. Call around- many parts or repair places offer a free CEL-reading service. That is what we did on the 2000 Maxima.

Also, try the 5th Gen Maxiam FAQ section- it will have other information that might help you out.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:58 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by speed3000gt
Hi i just bought an '00 I30 with 159000 miles on it... Do the I30s have any common problems to look out for? How is the transmission on these cars? It kind of jerks shifting from 1st to 2nd but its not too bad.
Yeah a lot of miles are on the car but im getting it for 5900.

Thanks for any info.
Transmissions are fine at that mileage, if you keep up on the maintainance- really just flushing and refilling the transmission regularly. I woudl either have it professionally flushed (not a "power" flush, but a flush), or drain it and refill it 2-3 times over 3 months to get the gunk out.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:56 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by mydecember1985
What exactly is a "power" flush? One of the ones they do at a shop, leaving the car idling for half an hour with the machine hoooked up to it?? I've been a bit scared to flush a tranny since my Diamante bout a year or 2 ago. Like 2-3 months after I flushed it, started having serious problems with it, had to sell it before it fell apart on me .

Springs still havent arrived yet.... isnt 8 businness days long enough to ship from AZ to FL???
Yes, that is a power flush- and the EXACT reason why I don't recommend them...
Old 08-15-2006, 03:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by cprx7
Thanks for this thread it's really a great idea.

I recently purchased a 2002 I35 with 40,000 miles. I was wondering if anyone has a link or a copy of the FSM. I've seen a CD for sale on ebay that it's supposed to be the FSM. Has anyone bought this? Does Hayes make a repair manual for this car?
Thanks.
Here is a picture of the car:
I recently got a factory I35 FSM on eBay that was very good from the ID super*sale. I paid less than $10.00 including shipping and they sent me a CD with the FSMs for the 02, 03, and 04 I35s. I would not attempt to buy anything from a third party such as Chilton or Hayes. Many times they have incorrect or incomplete information.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:52 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by TJShag13
Hello all, my question is : Will the BCM of a '98 i30 work in a '97 i30? Also, will it make any difference if one or the other is an i30T? Thanks.
Originally Posted by TJShag13
Can anyone help me out???
Wasn't this answered in the 4th gen thread? And what is a BCM?
Old 08-18-2006, 07:22 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by phenryiv1
Wasn't this answered in the 4th gen thread? And what is a BCM?
BCM controls the windows, mirriors, sunroof, and stuff like that. It sits forward of the shifter under the radio.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by clockwork777
Been here for a while, but still haven't gotten around to getting 15 posts
As info for you and other newbies, by dontaing $20.00 to Maxima.org, you instantly get posting and searching capabilities in all forums REGARDLESS of the number of replies you have posted. It's a quick way to get full privileges and it's a great way to give back to the org. Well worth the money if you ask me.

And now, back to our show.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:17 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by blackpearle
Just got an '03 I35 about a month ago. I'm working on removing the Bose system piece by piece and so far have a 4 channel amp and new front speakers installed, going to install rear door speakers in the next day or so. My question is, What are you I35 guys using to install an aftermarket head unit?? I know there is not a kit available for the I35, only the Max and I've heard that the Maxima kit will work but it doesn't fit perfect. If anyone has some pics of this, I'd greatly appreciate it! I really want this Bose headunit gone now, my CDs are skipping at times and it just sounds like crap.
There is a sticky in the audio forum that gives all of the part numbers, but the adapter is made by PAC. Again, I don't have the actual model number, but it is in the first few sticky threads in the audio subforum.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:19 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by Nomad
joined I30 crew yesterday. Have A question not covered in stickies. My headlights are non-Hid's and I'd really like this option for my car (my old max was with HID's) I've noted that it's kinda hard to find 2k2+ HID headlights. Would it be easier for me to get bulbs to fit the low beam socket and utiize my old ballasts? Any issues with glare 4th geners talk about? Could I just get housings?
I am not 100% sure about this, but I do not think that they make HID swap-in aftermarket housings for the A33 I30. I am not really up on the HID thing either, but I am sure that swapping in the bulbs and ballasts to your current housings has been covered in here somewhere. Try reading the first few pages in this forum, or use the ghetto search to check in the 5th gen maxima subforum.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:24 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by 97lude
just registered but can't make threads yet. Hoping to get a 02-03 Maxima in the near future, but in 2 weeks I will be recieving a 97 Infiniti I30.
What mods, if any, can you do to it? Besides serious engine work.
I've looked on ebay, but can't find much of anything
Does anyone have pictures of the one peice headlights on a i30?
Thanks!
Anything that you can do to a Maxima, you can do to an I30. What are the specs on yours Transmission? Current mods (if any)? What wheels are on it?

Early mod suggestions:

Handling:
Springs and struts
Front Strut Tower Bar
Rear Sway Bar
Better/bigger rims and/or tires

Performance:
Y and/or B pipe replacement
Cold Air Intake or other intake

Looks:
Removing the amber from rear taillights
Removing some or all badges from the rear of the car
Cefiro Headlights
Cefiro or ES300-style grille
New wheels (can go with the handling option)

Interior:
Swap in Maxima SE white gaude faces
Swap in 97-99 Maxima center console

Click on the link http://maxima.cardomain.com/ride/233635 to see what all I did to the 97 I30.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by clockwork777
Been here for a while, but still haven't gotten around to getting 15 posts

1st Q: Does anyone still sell chrome guage rings for the A32? I tried Sy Cefiro, but he doesn't carry them anymore.

2nd Q: I have a '96 I30 with the old homelink visor that doesn't do rolling code. Is it just a case of replacing the visor with a newer one to get this feature? What years had this feature?

3rd Q: Does anybody have any pictures of A32 I30s with Cefiro headlights that have been retrofitted with projectors?

Thanks!

CLockwork,

You can get a rollong code visor from at least a 2000 model & it will bolt right up & works fine. Try a boneyard for the part before shelling out for new...

I've made the change on mine (though mine was a '97 w/o the rolling code). I do not know if 98 & 99 models had the rolling code yet but thought that everything after 97 did.

While you're at it, see if you can grab the front door sills with the chrome inserts!
Old 08-24-2006, 03:25 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by speed3000gt
Where is the PCV Valve on the 2000 I 30/ Maxima engine?
Its on the rear valve cover under the intake manifold.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:34 PM

thanks a lot for the reply! Where did you get those door sills? Any suggestions on where to get OEM one peice headlights, i've heard some on ebay are terrible knockoffs?
Thanks again
email sycefiro at yahoo.com and ask about the one piece lights you need. He might have a set or be able to get them for you. Tell him Double E sent you.

He's good people.

I owned a 2000 Limited at the same time as the 97t I still have and before selling the 2000, I switched the door sills & visor. A boneyard would be an easy place to start otherwise.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:25 PM

do you have to take off the bumper to get the headlights off?
i dont have the car until this weekend so i can't tell
No, you don't have to take off the bumper to get the headlights off for A32. But A33, you'd need to take off bumper to get the headlights off. Email me if you need the one piece headlights.
Thanks
SY
sycefiro@yahoo.com
Old 09-10-2006, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by gohikeone
Hello all...thanks for having this handy noob forum.
After searching many different forums and sites, I've successfully removed the upper dash to find the lights to replace for the analog clock. Going to order them from AUTOLUMINATION. However, my AMB and FAN SPEED buttons on the AC module are also out. I've tried to remove the radio/AC unit to get to them, but have been unsuccessful.

I saw some pictures of the 2K Maxima wood paneling being removed around the shifter once the phillips screw is taken out behind the ash tray, however in the 2K I30, there is no screw. I can't seem to get the paneling around the shifter to come out, I can get it to pop up, but it seems to be hung under the ashtray/lighter assembly.

My questions are:
1) how do i remove the lower dash around the shifter and ash tray so i can access the back of the radio/AC unit?
2) are the lights for behind the AC the same as the 2K Maxima, I found in another forum the part number 27545-1W600. Can anyone confirm?
3) since i bought the car used with the clock lights blown, i've never seen it illuminated. Would getting the "white" light bulbs for the clock be approriate?

Thanks all!
While I can't answer the questions about the bulbs specifically, I can answer the question about getting the climate control unit out. You will basically need to fully remove the radio along with the climate control unit and ashtray as it is all one unit. If you PM me with your email address, I can send you the removal instructions. These instructions include how to remove the paneling. You are on the right track with this - you do have to pry it up with a screwdriver. If it is not coming out all the way, you will need to use some force.

Also, I would just try to buy a new climate control unit. They go on eBay for relatively cheap money and to me, it's much less hassle than trying to replace bulbs.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:27 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by gohikeone
Thanks! However, I guess b/c I'm a noob I can't PM you with my email. Is it against forum policy to post it in a message?
You have to get past 15 posts to use PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:33 AM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by mydecember1985
I know I've been around for a while, but what does this mean????????????

"10Char"

For the last 3 months, I've wondered but never thought to ask.
You have to enter in a post length of at least 10 characters. So people just put down "10char" after a reply that was less than 10 characters in order to make it greater than or equal to 10 characters.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:13 AM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by Sasquatch
Does anyone know how to troubleshoot the steering wheel controls for the radio? Mine work intermittantly and I usually have to push the buttons a bunch of times before it does what I want. It's getting worse by the day. Any advice?
Some folks in the 5th gen forum have had to replace their steering wheel controls for the reasons you described.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:58 AM

this may be a dumb question, but how do you switch the bulbs on the i30 foglights? I haven't gotten a chance to take a look yet
I believe you need to get underneath the light, look for an access hole and unscrew a mounting bolt that will allow release of the light through the front of the lower chin.

Then it is just a matter of removing the socket from the back and putting in the new bulb.

Be careful, the fog light is a glass housing (on mine).
Old 10-13-2006, 02:42 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by DeceptI30n
I was thinking about changing the muffler on my i30 and i've seen posts talking about other stuff like B pipes and y pipes, and I just got really confused. so what's the difference between those and how does this exhaust system work? and also what exactly changes the sound? I'm looking for a classy/sporty (not too loud) sound and not sure what I exactly need to get. Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for help.

Basically, an aftermarket y pipe will eliminate the two pre cats that the stock one has. An after market b pipe will replaces the stock one which has restrictive bends and crimps. After market pipe diameter is larger than stock on both pipes as well. This help with exhaust flow. Changing the y and b pipes but leaving the muffler stock will produce a near stock sound. My recommendation for a muffler would be a dynomax. That will produce a sporty but VERY respectable tone.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:02 AM
Learning English...

Through google I think I found that NGK not Denso is the plug to get. And that the PFR5G-11 double platinum is one? Please correct me if I am wrong.

NGK PFR7G-11(coldest type) is what i bought yesterday, but not instaled yet...
You have to use NGK PFR from 4 to 7G -11
Old 10-20-2006, 08:20 AM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by A-Man
I had a question. I'm in market of finding a good muffler. I want to make the car sound bold. I don't like the high noice! like those civics with a fat exhust on them. I like something similar to bmw 3 series. so if you guys know of a good muffler let me know.
My recommendation for a muffler would be a dynomax. That will produce a sporty but VERY respectable tone.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:25 AM
Armed and Dangerous

I'm sure this question has been answered many times but I'm not good enough yet to have access to the search function.

For my 2001 I30 what spark plugs should I use? Is the 3.0 picky when it comes to plugs? My other car has ion sensing and anything but the stock plugs messes everything up. I'm kind of partial to Densos but not sure what would be better the "double platinum PK20PR11" or the "iridium IK20".

Thanks in advance.
The VQ is not picky when it comes to spark plugs. There is a guy on here that has been running autolite spark plugs in his 96 for the past 40K with out incident. NGK is really the way to go, but I'm sure Denso will suit you fine.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:00 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by psk79
We have nissan and infiniti showrooms right next to each other owned by the same person. I got the part numbers for oil and air filters from infiniti and called nissan and asked their prices. Infiniti oil filter price - $10, Nissan price - $6.52
Infiniti air filter price - $14, Nissan price - $9.87. These are all the same part numbers. I wonder may be I should doing this for all teh maintenance...
Is there any difference in parts even if they have the same number?

Thanks.
There is no difference. If you order that stuff from a nissan whole saler, slash the nissan price you listed by 50%.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:29 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by olounda
So i am really new here, and am getting a slight oil leak just above the oil pan and oil filter. I was told by the way the engine is built, the rear valve cover gets hot and it prematurely wears the gasket out. I was told i need to replace it. I know it is a lot of work, but any advice would be great. has anyone had to do this?
Make sure the leak is coming from there before you do anything else. I replaced both valve cover gaskets when I installed my variable intake. They were not leaking but it was the best time to do it. Basically, you are going to have to remove the intake duct work, then the throttle body, the IACV, and then finally the upper intake manifold collector. Its a lot of work and you gotta have the tools and the talent.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:40 AM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by slowls
Ok I'm new here and can't post new threads only reply's for some reason. I have a 2003 infiniti i35 which as near as I can tell its the same as the maxima it has the VQ engine and its an auto since it has the same engine as the maxima the g35 and the 350z shouldnt all the maxima bolt-ons work and all the internals from the 350z and g35 work as well. I'm thinking of swapping 350z,g35 cams into it but im not sure if it will work. Can some one tell me if my theory for all the performance upgrades for the maxima will work for the i35. and also why i can post new threads.
All 5.5 gen maxima performance upgrades will work on the I35. You have to make 15 posts in order to start a new thread.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:39 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by shissqbob
alright guys, for my own question...are the UDP (underdrive pulleys) worth buying? have any of you had experience with them in the past? i see all of the logic in providing faster revving response and hp gain but the only problem is like laws of motion. If you have a heavy object (stock pulley) at rest, it'll take a nice amount of power to make it go. If you have a light pulley then it will take less force to move. The argument is, if you have a stock and aftermkt. pulley, wouldn't the stock pulley be better during motion because it's like a snowball effect...a heavier object with momentum will stay in motion better than a light one?

sorry for being so wordy

thanks in advance
I have no personal experience with an UDP, but I have heard mixed reviews for other guys around here. Some think is worth it, others don't.

Its probably one of those mods like the cone intake... no really going to give you much, but is still nice to have.

As far as the argument goes, it does not matter if the pully is already moving. It is still harder for the crank to turn a heavier pully or flywheel.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:46 PM

I have an I35 that is a dark reddish maroon color what is the actual color and how rare is it because I haven't seen another one in the same color, not even searching the internet. I take some pic when i get a chance if noone can identify the color in an aid to identify the color
Pretty rare color. I believe I've only seen 2-3 I30's in that color. Never seen an I35 in that color tho. I stockpiled the info you are looking for a while back. I'm hoping one of our moderators will move it to the FAQ, be it only 85% complete. Until then, here it is:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=492170
I have also bumped it for any new info, so you will most likely read that before you read this.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:26 AM
Armed and Dangerous

I'm also looking for a good header but the only one I can find is the stillen maxima one and its $800 is there any one that makes a good header thats cheaper than the stillen one and a good deep sounding exhaust.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....shorty+headers

learn it, love it, live it.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:22 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by jwa
Just purchased a 2003 I35 and was wondering why the steering controls for the cruise and radio are not illuminated...thx in advance for your response...
Because they're not.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:03 PM

alright....so I decided to build a sub box for my ride and I don't know how...does anyone know of instructions or good guides out there for custom sub-boxes?

First, you need to look at your sub's specifications. The user manual for the subs should have a diagram of how to properly tune them.

But.. you will have much better luck answering this in the audio forum.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:23 AM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by gdiddy
I just purchased 03' Infiniti I35 and waiting on 20" Diablo Wishbone's, however, I noticed there is a 15 mm offset difference beteen front and rear wheels. I asked the rim shop if I should buy 15 mm offsets and they said it wasn't recommended because the material they make them out of has a tendency to shrink and expand resulting in either a less smooth ride or the rim flying off. Is this true and should I buy the 15 mm offsets as I know that will greatly improve the look in my opinion?
I think if you're going to be riding on 20" wheels you won't notice that much of a difference in ride quality. It's going to suck, period.

Good quality spacers shouldn't have issues like that anyway. H&R and Eibach make some good hub-centric spacers.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by gdiddy
Sorry for the ignorant post but I am a newb and have read through virtually every post. Seems there is a lot of mention about the term.... MAF. Now that I know what it does and how most members complain about it going bad, ... WHAT DOES MAF MEAN? Once again, excuse my ignorance.
MAF= Mass Air Flow
Old 11-08-2006, 09:19 AM
Armed and Dangerous

Someone told me I can use some of the mechanical parts, exhaust,turbo, etc, of a late 300ZX for a 2001 I30! is that even possible? He said I just have to make some minor changes to the parts.
HELL NO!!!
Old 11-09-2006, 02:54 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by rdcisneros3
Edmund's auto maintenance guide tells me that my car needs the spark plugs changed (120K). Is there anyone that has done this on a 98 I30 that can tell me how difficult it is for someone with average mechanical skills?
Anyone with average mechanical skills wouldn't even have to ask the question.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:06 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by rdcisneros3
Well you're a real helpful one, aren't you? It would be better if people like you just ignored these posts, rather than wasting your own time and mine with that.

Does anyone else know if this is a job that can be done at a home garage, or should I take it to a mechanic?
Take the d!ck outta your @ss... It was a joke. The number of people I've helped on this site is higher than you can count.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:20 AM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by mhc_70
I have a 97 I30T auto. The cv joints/axles need to be replaced.
I have done this on a 88 maxima and was wondering if
the axles were held in the tranny with the same type
of o-ring clip? If so are there any tricks to prying it out?
Thanks for the help.

Matt
Yup, they are held in with the ring clip... It just pops right out with a little effort.

Be ready for a battle on the passenger side axle on a high milage vehicle though. It has a tendency to rust to the support backet.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:22 AM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by jwa
I have a 2003 Infiniti I35 and I want to install a FSTB but I can't seem to find one specifically made for the I35 and was wondering if anyone knows where to purchase one or if the FSTB for the 2003 Maxima will fit without major alterations?...thx for your replies!
Maxima one will work.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by jwa
Thx i30ds for your reply re: the FSTB, it's good to know that the Maxima FSTB will fit the i35 but will it bolt right on or will there have to be alterations done to make it fit?
direct bolt in.

Quick Reply: NOOBIES: The "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread...