Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Side Mirror bad luck :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 11:20 AM
01 I30 .. aka White Diamond

Side Mirror bad luck :(

So, I had someone drive by my I30, and swiped the mirror off. I called the insurance, and they said it would be covered, but I couldn't see $500 for the deductable, and I went to Infiniti and they said around $600 parts and labor.

$280 for one mirror, or a set of folding for $285 which includes shipping. (Thanks Metaorbit)

Well to make a long story short, I didn't want to pay them that much either, so I'm going to do it myself. When the mirror came off, I had to cut the wires that controlled everything including the heated option. Is it easy to rerun new wires?

I am putting the automatic folding mirrors on, but don't know about the heat option. Would it be fine without it. I live in Madrid Spain so the weather isn't a real problem.

Input please ...
Old 09-02-2006, 12:26 PM
Got Projectors?

1 - Glad you got the mirrors

2 - Did you ship your car to Spain?!

3 - I don't have heated mirrors, and living in the SE I've never run into a situation where I needed them.

And why did you have to cut the wires? There's a harness connector behind the door panel that you should simply have been able to disconnect.

In any case, you can run ALL new wires if you need to, but unless the wiring from the door to the chassis has been severed you shouldn't need to. The wiring harness for the folding mirrors is the same as the one for the OEM mirrors, you just have to run 1 or 2 additional wires for the folding function.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by MetaOrbit
1 - Glad you got the mirrors

2 - Did you ship your car to Spain?!

3 - I don't have heated mirrors, and living in the SE I've never run into a situation where I needed them.

And why did you have to cut the wires? There's a harness connector behind the door panel that you should simply have been able to disconnect.

In any case, you can run ALL new wires if you need to, but unless the wiring from the door to the chassis has been severed you shouldn't need to. The wiring harness for the folding mirrors is the same as the one for the OEM mirrors, you just have to run 1 or 2 additional wires for the folding function.
1. Didn't get them yet. I'm ordering on Monday, but having them shipped to a friend so he can get them painted, and then have them shipped to me.

2. I shipped my car because I am in the Military ... Couldn't leave my baby home alone.

3. I don't care about that option anymore ... It's overated. The car will be garaged.

I cut the wires because I lived in Indiana, and this happened in Ohio. I couldn't leave it hanging. Didn't know when it would be getting fixed. Couldn't ship it with the mirror hanging.

I hope they look as good as I want them too.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:17 PM
Got Projectors?

Gotcha. From what I'm gathering it sounds like you cut the wires right at where the mirror meets the door. If that's the case you have nothing to worry about. The other end of the wires go about 8 inches inside, behind the door panel where they terminate in a harness connector. You should just be able to remove those wires at the harness connector; the new mirrors have their own wire harness attached to them with the same style connector.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by MetaOrbit
Gotcha. From what I'm gathering it sounds like you cut the wires right at where the mirror meets the door. If that's the case you have nothing to worry about. The other end of the wires go about 8 inches inside, behind the door panel where they terminate in a harness connector. You should just be able to remove those wires at the harness connector; the new mirrors have their own wire harness attached to them with the same style connector.
Finally got the mirrors ... Them lil bastards are sexy!!! Can't wait to get painted and installed. if I remember correctly, you said you just ran wires for the folding, but where did you tap them into. Just 12v power?
Old 02-24-2007, 08:16 AM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by flewdawg
Finally got the mirrors ... Them lil bastards are sexy!!! Can't wait to get painted and installed. if I remember correctly, you said you just ran wires for the folding, but where did you tap them into. Just 12v power?
Can't remember for sure...but I *think* it just gets the power through the harness and switch. IIRC I just ran the wires from the back of the new switch to each mirror.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:44 PM
Learning English...

flewdawg, you need 2 dual wires from each side - one for the folding function and the other for the blinker. And yes, the power 12v is taken from the switch...

OT: I know your car has the OEM Navi and i'm curious to know whether it works in Spain or not?
thanks
Old 02-25-2007, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by brio_max
flewdawg, you need 2 dual wires from each side - one for the folding function and the other for the blinker. And yes, the power 12v is taken from the switch...
So there is no splicing here, except for the blinker, which goes to the side blinker ...

Originally Posted by brio_max
OT: I know your car has the OEM Navi and i'm curious to know whether it works in Spain or not?
thanks
If I could get some disc, I might be in the house ... I've contacted Zenrin, or whatever their name is, and they don't reply back. I hate having a $2000 cd player
Old 02-26-2007, 05:35 AM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by flewdawg
If I could get some disc, I might be in the house ... I've contacted Zenrin, or whatever their name is, and they don't reply back. I hate having a $2000 cd player
Have you tried a Nissan dealer or something in Spain? I know some Nissan/Infiniti cars shared map discs here so I can't see why it would be any different there. You'd of course want to find a car with a similar CD-based nav system.