Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Drivers' Seat Quit Moving

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 05:21 PM

Drivers' Seat Quit Moving

My drivers sit will not move fore / aft any longer. All other functions (tilt, incline, etc) work.

Any suggestions on trouble shooting the issue?

Thanks,

James
Old 07-01-2007, 05:54 PM

Mine did the exact same thing. I just forgot about it since it got stuck in my driving position. But I do miss my seat moving when I get in and out of the car .
Old 07-01-2007, 06:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This is a common problem with this gen of Max/I30. You will need to replace the seat motor. Attached below is a TSB that shows you how to do it.

http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownershi.../ITB00-067.htm
Old 07-01-2007, 08:04 PM

w0rd...Mine did the same thing. Had to replace the seat motor. Fortunately, my warranty covered it.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:18 PM

Don't replace it until you have followed the procedure for checking it first, it's in the tsb
Old 07-17-2007, 05:29 PM

Mine did the same thing too. My dealer replaced it under the extended warranty.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:40 PM

you sure you didnt accidently unplug your connections when you were playing with the seats. this happened to my mom's benz and all it was that the seat came unplugged so i fixed it and it worked again.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:22 PM

The same thing happened to my 2000 I30...I called one dealership $650 to do it, another $570. The part retails for $255, Dave B. told me its ~$200. I would try to replace it myself but since the motor won't run and the rear bolts are covered by the seat, the tapping didn't work for me. Does anyone have any clue on how to move the seat to get to the rear bolts?

Chucky.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:58 PM

This has happened to me before as well. More in the Winter months but i have yet to replace the motor. Simple tapping on the motor with a screw driver helped my motor i did that a few seperate time when it got stuck and its been working flawlessly since then. Give it a shot
Old 08-06-2007, 06:19 PM

I pulled the trigger already and had the dealer fix it, it was the TSB, cost me close to 600 bucks but I couldn't figure out how to get the seat to move and I figured if the wife can't drive it that would be a safety issue also if a valet guy happen to be shorter than me. If you can get your moving, I would try doing it yourself while its working and you can get to the rear bolts, its a known issue.

Thanks for replying....Chucky..
Old 08-22-2007, 05:48 PM

Just after a week of reading this thread my seat also quit moving. And the worst part is that the seat is all the way t the front. CRAP!
Old 08-22-2007, 07:38 PM

just tap it with a screwdriver. It fixed mine about a month ago, no problems since.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:12 AM

already tried tapping the motor with a screwdriver and didn't work. All I can hear is a CLICK when pushing the button forward or backward.
I'm about to smash that thing with a hammer if I have to.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:37 AM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

You guys are funny. There is a TSB out for this, just go to the dealer and get it fixed. If you break something trying to fix it, then the dealer will not replace/fix the problem.

My seat went out on me the day I bought the car home from the dealer with 4 miles on the odo. I was so pissed. I got a courtesy car the day I bought my car because the seat motor died, imagine that. I have not had a problem since, 3.5 years now.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:56 AM

The fact that there's a TSB for this issue doesn't mean the dealer will fix it free of charge. I still have to pay the $600 bill.
I own an 02. My basic coverage expired on September 06

Originally Posted by leeI35
You guys are funny. There is a TSB out for this, just go to the dealer and get it fixed. If you break something trying to fix it, then the dealer will not replace/fix the problem.

My seat went out on me the day I bought the car home from the dealer with 4 miles on the odo. I was so pissed. I got a courtesy car the day I bought my car because the seat motor died, imagine that. I have not had a problem since, 3.5 years now.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:26 AM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

Originally Posted by Gian13
The fact that there's a TSB for this issue doesn't mean the dealer will fix it free of charge. I still have to pay the $600 bill.
I own an 02. My basic coverage expired on September 06
Doesn't make sense or you have a bad dealership. My dealer (praise the all mighty) Passport Infiniti has always fixed any of my TSBs as a courtesy from the dealership. My 03 G35 that I had was out of warranty and everytime a TSB came up, I went to the dealer to get it fixed FREE. Did you show them the TSB?? If your dealer is being an @$$, then call another dealer.

I also had my tranny replaced free on my G35 and I was 9000 miles out of warranty. I know simple seat motor can be replaced out of courtesy.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:51 AM
Got Projectors?

Lee - dealerships are only obligated to fix TSBs for free during the warranty period.

But I agree, sounds like a crappy dealer. I, like you, have had great service from my dealership on things like that. But they are in no way obligated to do it.

Just distinguishes the good from the bad, I guess.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:12 AM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

Originally Posted by MetaOrbit
Lee - dealerships are only obligated to fix TSBs for free during the warranty period.

But I agree, sounds like a crappy dealer. I, like you, have had great service from my dealership on things like that. But they are in no way obligated to do it.

Just distinguishes the good from the bad, I guess.
Hmm never new that... I thought TSBs were always fixed. I seriously would call Nissan North America and asked them first. I did that for my tranny before I even went to the dealer and they called the dealer and asked them for me.

That goes to show you how good of a dealer I had.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:43 AM
Got Projectors?

Hmm never new that... I thought TSBs were always fixed. I seriously would call Nissan North America and asked them first. I did that for my tranny before I even went to the dealer and they called the dealer and asked them for me.
Yeah, recalls are always fixed, but TSBs are just "bulletins" about an issue, nothing more.

That goes to show you how good of a dealer I had.
You and I both. Though I'm sure it helps if you've already established a good relationship with your dealer's service department. The regulars are probably much more likely to be taken care of than someone who comes in only every once in a while.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:27 AM

I just called Infiniti and spoke to a rep about the TSB on this issue.
She basically explained that a TSB is only a TSB, not a recall. In other words, no dealer is obligated to fix the problem for free.
I hope enough Maxima/I35 owners file a complaint about this same issue so someday this TSB becomes a recall.
My local mechanic is taking a look at my car right now. I hope he can fix it so I don't have to take the car to the stealership.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:59 AM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

I just called Infiniti and spoke to a rep about the TSB on this issue.
She basically explained that a TSB is only a TSB, not a recall. In other words, no dealer is obligated to fix the problem for free.
I hope enough Maxima/I35 owners file a complaint about this same issue so someday this TSB becomes a recall.
My local mechanic is taking a look at my car right now. I hope he can fix it so I don't have to take the car to the stealership.
Gian13 - Have you been to the www.Infinitihelp.com website?? They usually have all TSBs and descriptions for you to print out. I usually go there and find things that may be wrong with the car and have my mechanic look at them. Might be worth a try to find the TSB for the seat motor, and see if they have a diagram/instructions on how to fix it.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:03 PM

Check the wiring thourgoughly. It is easy to screw the wiring up while vacuming under the seats.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:19 AM

Doesn't make sense or you have a bad dealership. My dealer (praise the all mighty) Passport Infiniti has always fixed any of my TSBs as a courtesy from the dealership. My 03 G35 that I had was out of warranty and everytime a TSB came up, I went to the dealer to get it fixed FREE. Did you show them the TSB?? If your dealer is being an @$$, then call another dealer.

I also had my tranny replaced free on my G35 and I was 9000 miles out of warranty. I know simple seat motor can be replaced out of courtesy.
Wow, the next time I'm in the Northern VA area I'll have to see if I can get Passport Infiniti to do the "wind noise from back windows" TSB for free. I go through Northern VA when I drive to and from college.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Seat motor issues!

The seat/slide motor on the max/I35 are very easy to replace if ur good with ur hands. it took me about 25 mins with the seat stuck back. but if ur ify than just let the dealer fix it. And the dealer will always try to make u happy as long as u have a good sevice history with them i.e. u spend money with them!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-14-2007, 08:58 AM

Mine just quit today. It just makes a clicking noise...I'm going to try tapping the motor like the TSB suggests and if that doesn't fix it I'll have to have it replaced. Oddly, the service records show this having been done once before. Apparently the replacements suck too.

EDIT: One thing the dealer I spoke to about it said is that it may be the switch, not the motor, in which case the repair would be far less expensive.

EDIT again: I called Infiniti corporate because I'm frankly annoyed that this same part would fail twice on the same car. They denied that it was a common problem and said that it was just my bad luck that the motor failed.

Last edited by MattB85; 09-14-2007 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:42 PM

I figured out that taking the beanie that was caught up in the tracks (old owner must have accidentally left it there) works great.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by trent.davis23
I figured out that taking the beanie that was caught up in the tracks (old owner must have accidentally left it there) works great.
Yeah that will definately help.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by MattB85

EDIT again: I called Infiniti corporate because I'm frankly annoyed that this same part would fail twice on the same car. They denied that it was a common problem and said that it was just my bad luck that the motor failed.
that's BS.
My power seat decided to quit working a couple of months ago and just when I got a motor to replace it with my seat decides to star working again.
I guess I just gotta wait for the motor to die again.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:30 AM

that's BS.
My power seat decided to quit working a couple of months ago and just when I got a motor to replace it with my seat decides to star working again.
I guess I just gotta wait for the motor to die again.
I ended up just taking it in to the dealer...$410 to replace the motor. The seat works fine now and hopefully the problem won't recur.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by MattB85
I ended up just taking it in to the dealer...$410 to replace the motor. The seat works fine now and hopefully the problem won't recur.
I got me a used I35 seat with the working motor on it for $75 at a local junkyard. I hope the motor works though. I honestly haven't tested it yet... lol
Old 10-16-2007, 07:09 AM

only half of my seat moves
Old 10-16-2007, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by trent.davis23
just tap it with a screwdriver. It fixed mine about a month ago, no problems since.
Tapping the motor also fixed my problem.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by infinititec1
The seat/slide motor on the max/I35 are very easy to replace if ur good with ur hands. it took me about 25 mins with the seat stuck back. but if ur ify than just let the dealer fix it. And the dealer will always try to make u happy as long as u have a good sevice history with them i.e. u spend money with them!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Infinititec1,
You said you replaced the forward/backward drive motor with seat stuck in the backward position. I usually do most of my repairs . Could you please give me a hint how you did that.

Appreciate you answer.
Thank you
Old 10-27-2008, 03:17 AM

you bumped a way old thread!
My car seat got stuck the other day tho, and i was pretty pissed, then i just pulled the seat forward manually a little bit while pressing the forward motion and it worked, looked like it just got stuck. so try that out, maybe it'll work for you
Old 10-27-2008, 10:28 PM

Wow, thank you. I touched the motor (slightly pulled it forward) while pressing the forward switch and it worked. The seat moved forward. It stopped working again when I moved seat back.
Does it mean the motor (forward/backward) is bad and it has to go?
Do you know the Nissan part number that I have to buy?

Thank you again.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Stuck on ONE side only

The driver seat forward/backward movement is stuck on the door side. Pushing the control to fron or back causes seat to rotate a little like it's stuck in the track on the door side.

Am I correct that there is only one motor for the front/back movement?

I'm thinking something is stuck or binding in the track.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by hgarraway
The driver seat forward/backward movement is stuck on the door side. Pushing the control to fron or back causes seat to rotate a little like it's stuck in the track on the door side.

Am I correct that there is only one motor for the front/back movement?

I'm thinking something is stuck or binding in the track.

Any suggestions?
Never mind, I found the Infiniti TSB and it was the gearbox which is part of the motor. Part ordered, wallet hurting.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Drivers power seat on 2004 Maxima won't move

My driver's seat is stuck, at least in my memory position. As other, the tilt and elevation work, the seat just won't move back or forward. When I hit adjustment button, you can see the seat move a little crooked, then quit. The dealership looked at it and said "needs seat track" ($835.00) and service manager said something about the worm screw. I guess I will try tapping on the motor to see if that helps. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-15-2009, 08:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Driver side seat stuck on I30

Wow, great group. My seat was stuck all the way back. Wife can't drive it. Now needs to drive my truck. I had a heck of a time getting the seat out. After a little prying on the plastic I got it out and will order the motor tomorrow. The TSB makes replacing the motor a lot easier than hacking along. That dealer pricing is a little scary for an electric motor. Guess they got to make their money some where.
Thanks everyone for posting all this information. It really help me.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Same Problem? Different Direction

My Drivers Seat, 2002 I35 Touring w sideairbag, no longer does the tilt adjustment. Motor sounds like it's working but there is a definate gear noise as if the gear teeth are gone.

When taking the seat out, do I need to do anything other than disconnect the battery to disable the side airbag?

Quick Reply: Drivers' Seat Quit Moving