Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Clunking noise in i30t 2000

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 04:28 PM

Clunking noise in i30t 2000

Hi All,

At slow speed I am hearing a clunking noise from the right front. If I give more gas the clunking increases. I also feel this clunking happen going up at steep drives. I also feel like the engine is running kinda loose compared to the newer cars which seem to run tight.

Any suggestions to correct this.

Thanks,

Mohiudr
Old 07-11-2007, 06:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by mohiudr
Hi All,

At slow speed I am hearing a clunking noise from the right front. If I give more gas the clunking increases. I also feel this clunking happen going up at steep drives. I also feel like the engine is running kinda loose compared to the newer cars which seem to run tight.

Any suggestions to correct this.

Thanks,

Mohiudr

Well for starters just changed my right front wheel bearing, it was making a sound similar to the sound u stated but more of a grinding ......and the higher the speed the higher pitched the grinding got. So i went to autozone and got a wheel bearing for like 50 bucks or so and put it in myself....rides like a champ now. *Note if u plan on doin this urself make sure u have the correct tools...i.e. crows feet, wrenches, patience....oh and of course a shop press...the bearing has to be pressed into the hub.*

And b sure to have the front end alignment done...
Old 07-12-2007, 11:11 AM

I was thinking this problem is something to do with timing chain or something in the engine. The sound is related with the gas you give and the low speed.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:04 PM
Learning English...

I was thinking this problem is something to do with timing chain or something in the engine. The sound is related with the gas you give and the low speed.
Do you hear the clucking around 2000rpm mostly when going up hills or so?
Old 07-15-2007, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by brio_max
Do you hear the clucking around 2000rpm mostly when going up hills or so?

Yes. Also when it is going on low speed
Old 07-17-2007, 02:52 AM
Learning English...

Yes. Also when it is going on low speed
Yeah, i've seen many people on here incl. me having the same problem. You can search the org for "rattling and knocking" and you'll se the threads i'm talking about... I think that's from the coils...
Old 07-17-2007, 11:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Mine sounded like there was a bolt loose on the exhaust manifold or one of the heat shields at the bottom of the car, I kinda lived with it for the longest time. Same symptoms, going up or down hill in some what light to medium accelaration, and the wheels felt a little loose going through small bumps or ripples along the road.

Funny part is when I had my shocks replaced with KYB's all the noises that I just mentioned went away. I don't know if I had a bolt loose or if it what other thing it could be b/c I had my car to the mechanic once for him to figure out what the rattleing noise was coming from, and he couldn't find it, told me it was my exhaust heat shield and the only way to get rid of it is to remove the heat shields but I never did it, so in my case it was something to do with the shocks/struts.

I'll be interested to find out.

Chucky.