Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

I35 No start condition SOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 10:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I35 No start condition SOLVED

I accidentally took my wife's I35 keys to work with me today so she grabbed the spare key and fob we had put away so she could go to work. Well she called me at work telling me the car wouldn't start. I could hear it crank but not fire through the phone. Without being there I couldn't think of one reason why the car wouldn't start as it's given us no problems as of yet, but I initially thought that maybe the key's immobilizer chip was the problem...no problem I'll try one of our good keys when I get home from work (I work about 30 minutes from home so it'd have to wait). She was luckily able to get a ride to work herself.

So after work I come home and using her key, go out to the car, crank it...nothing. Cranks nice and strong but no fire. Hmmm...its too cold and dark so I figured I'd check it out in the morning.

So in searching the 5th Gen section I found this:

Originally Posted by ridinwitha35
Edit: ignore what I said here...

LOCK MODE FUNCTION
When the starting operation is carried out five or more
times consecutively under the following conditions, IVIS
(NATS) will shift the mode to one which prevents the
engine from being started.
- Unregistered ignition key is used.
- IMMU or ECM’s malfunctioning.
ESCAPE FROM LOCK MODE
1. Turn ignition switch OFF.
2. Turn ignition switch ON with registered key. (Do not start engine.) Wait 5 seconds.
3. Return the key to OFF position.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 twice (total of three cycles).
5. Start the engine.
Other useful info:
I tried this procedure for the hell of it (with my key this time) and BAM she starts right up! Like it never happened!

For what ever reason the spare key, given to us by the stealer, isn't registering with the immobilizer system and her repeatedly trying to start it this morning caused it to go into Lock Mode. But hey at least the fob works!

I noticed I couldn't find anything in this section so thought I'd bring it over. I also wanted to thank this forum

Last edited by Sam o nela; 12-23-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Sam o nela
I accidentally took my wife's I35 keys to work with me today so she grabbed the spare key and fob we had put away so she could go to work. Well she called me at work telling me the car wouldn't start. I could hear it crank but not fire through the phone. Without being there I couldn't think of one reason why the car wouldn't start as it's given us no problems as of yet, but I initially thought that maybe the key's immobilizer chip was the problem...no problem I'll try one of our good keys when I get home from work (I work about 30 minutes from home so it'd have to wait). She was luckily able to get a ride to work herself.

So after work I come home and using her key, go out to the car, crank it...nothing. Cranks nice and strong but no fire. Hmmm...its too cold and dark so I figured I'd check it out in the morning.

So in searching the 5th Gen section I found this:

I tried this procedure for the hell of it (with my key this time) and BAM she starts right up! Like it never happened!

For what ever reason the spare key, given to us by the stealer, isn't registering with the immobilizer system and her repeatedly trying to start it this morning caused it to go into Lock Mode. But hey at least the fob works!

I noticed I couldn't find anything in this section so thought I'd bring it over. I also wanted to thank this forum
Thanks for the info, I'm sure that this will save someone lots of money in expensive diagnostic costs.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:17 AM

lol, I show up in search results. But that stuff was taken directly from the FSM; an invaluable resource.

I spend my time mainly in the 5th gen Maxima section since not a lot goes on in here & due to the vast similarities between the Maxima & "I" models.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:11 AM

Greetings I am a new member.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Priceless.
I struggled for 2 days and finally saw your post. You saved me like 500$, so registered in this forum to say thank you.
Car didn't started from work to home, towed it to mechanic the next morning (paid 10$ tip to the Geico tow person as it was very hot and he worked hard) and mech cant fix it, told me to tow it to the dealer as it looks like immobilizer lock.
Called up a different tow company again in the evening but by the time he arrived the shop was closed and he wont tow it, because there is no authorization letter from the mechanic. So came the third day and started searching google again to find this marvelous page. If you are in front me of me; I would have kissed you
Thanks again..
Old 10-11-2014, 11:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I35 starting problem

I came across this info after finding an 2002 I35 for my niece, and using a second key trying to start the car it went into lockdown mode. I hadn't even delivered the car to her yet and I thought GREAT! I followed the directions exactly with original key and it started right up. Just wanted to say thanks for the information.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:57 AM

Great information. I've immobilized a couple of 99 models along the way.. I knew there was something like 3 to 5 strikes and you're out..
Old 11-18-2014, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
Great information. I've immobilized a couple of 99 models along the way.. I knew there was something like 3 to 5 strikes and you're out..
In hopes of never having to deal with the car in lock out mode....
Easiest process for me was just taking the chip out from the "good key" , removing the top cover from the steering column ( just in front of the cluster bezel) and using some electrical tape, sticking the chip on the outside of the ignition cylinder.
This way any duplicate key can be used and you would not have to pay extra for a chipped key or the dealer fees of programming the system.

Last edited by ABIGBRAIN; 11-18-2014 at 06:42 AM.