Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

HOWTO: Replacing HVAC Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 05:13 PM

HOWTO: Replacing HVAC Bulbs

Hi all,

I've been asking quite a few questions around here and thought I'd give something back: Here's a semi-helpful writeup showing how to replace burnt-out bulbs in the HVAC panel on a 2001 i30.

Replacing the bulbs was incredibly easy -- There are quite a few steps to getting there though. However, everything is plug-n-play. No soldering, splicing, or any other scary stuff.

You have to remove the whole center console to get at it, then some minor surgery.

Honestly, I think the hardest part of the procedure is removing the shift surround panel because that's the one held in by those never-release clips that could probably be used for towing since they hold so well.

Once you remove that panel and the upper vents/hazard switch panel, you'll see four hex/phillips screws that, when removed, will let you remove the whole stack from radio to ashtray.

Youll want to have the shift in "1" to give you some more room. Throw a towel on the shift display to prevent scratches and prevent screws from falling into the abyss. I lost one of mine in there somewhere.

GENTLY remove the wiring harnesses from the back of the components. You can label them if you want to, but they only fit in one place. Save some mental anguish later and count out loud every plug you remove. Be aware that you removed however many, write it down, and then make sure you plug in the same number of plugs. Aint nothing worse than getting it all together and realizing you forgot to connect the antenna.

One good thing is that on cars this old, the wires have taken form of where they want to be, so if you hold up the harness they will line up with their sockets. On my 2001, there was one unused socket towards the passenger side of the radio -- possibly for the trunk mounted CD changer... I'll have to find an iPod converter for that....

Something to know: You have to remove the vent/hazard flasher panel to access the upper screws. While everything is disassembled, the car IS driveable, however in addition to no heat, you will also have no turn signals since they are routed through the hazard switch. Be advised.

Here's some details:

Separate the CC unit from the console stack. I removed one whole side of the "rack" assembly and put it aside, then removed the two screws holding the CC unit into the rack. Note that the short screws go into the radio. If you put the long screws into the radio on reassembly, you will be very angry.

GENTLY pull away the clips which hold the button panel to the unit

Remove the four phillips-head screws to separate what I will call the "brain half" from the "control half" Pull the two halfs apart slowly and you will see the interlocking pins which hold it together. That's the inch-long white strip near the center of the next photo.

The three blue circles you see along the top edge of the "control half" in this image are the bulbs. Give them a gentle quarter turn to the left, replace them, and put it all back together.

As for the replacement bulbs -- go to Radio Shack and pick up a few packs of #7219 bulbs - they're 2 for $1.79. When you pull out the old bulb, stare at it for a while and you'll see how the wires go through and back and around. Using some tweezers and something pointy (I used a safety pin) you can gently unthread the old one and then stick the new bulb into the holder.

The little blue caps won't fit on the new bulbs (too big) but I used a blue sharpie marker to color the bulb and I can't tell the difference between new and old. HINT: Color the bulb AFTER putting it into the holder or you'll have blue fingers.

Nothing special about putting it all together -- just like the old Chilton's books would say: "Installation is the reverse of removal."

Last edited by Montego Murph; 03-01-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:15 PM

UPDATE:

Do NOT follow my money-saving suggestion of buying the plain light bulbs and coloring them with a sharpie. This does not last.

After less than a week (and maybe 6 hours of use) the blue has discolored and the bulbs I replaced are now painfully yellow.

Many have suggested LED's. I dont like them, I prefer the softer glow of incandecent. I'll try to track down some decent substitutes for the OEM (unless I find them at a reasonable price) and keep everyone posted.

Sorry for the bad advice...

Murph
Old 03-10-2010, 11:24 PM

Definitely keep us posted, I replaced the clock lights with the same bulbs from Radio Shack and it's very yellow in color.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:03 AM
Schnell kaputt

I replaced most of my interior bulbs with the Radioshack variety so the dash lights are all yellow too. My friend purchased a 100pk of bulb condoms on Ebay they only come in one size though. I have to wait until he comes back in town to test fit one of them on the bulbs but it's an option.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:51 AM

UPDATE:

Contact Dave Burnette at Southpoint Nissan. 888-254-6060
He's got the bulbs, the bases, and the little blue thingies that go on the bulb.
$3.06 each, free shipping until 3-31-10
27545-1W600 is the part number.

He was very happy to hear that maxima.org referred another happy customer

Once mine come in, I'll do a proper step-by-step writeup.