Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Navigation flip-up screen

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 06:50 AM

Navigation flip-up screen

Have a question for anyone that has experience with the OEM Navi. I have a used Navi screen that I cannot seem to get to open. I saw it working in the donor car but it will not open now. I wired it with Navi control unit (the control unit works) and I have tried bench testing by connecting the the power wires and ground wires to a battery charger.

Anyone have an idea? Is there a trigger wire that tells the screen to open? I have also connected the ACC and IGN ON wires to the battery charger and got nothing.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-13-2010, 07:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

How. Expensive is that navigation system to put in my A33 I30t?
It seems to me like unfortunately you may have burnt the unit. Can you see it displaying any light from the sides of the display?
Old 08-13-2010, 07:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

How. Expensive is that navigation system to put in my A33 I30t?
It seems to me like unfortunately you may have burnt the unit. Can you see it displaying any light from the sides of the display?
Old 08-14-2010, 12:41 PM
Donating i30 Owner

Originally Posted by 2001i30
Have a question for anyone that has experience with the OEM Navi. I have a used Navi screen that I cannot seem to get to open. I saw it working in the donor car but it will not open now. I wired it with Navi control unit (the control unit works) and I have tried bench testing by connecting the the power wires and ground wires to a battery charger.

Anyone have an idea? Is there a trigger wire that tells the screen to open? I have also connected the ACC and IGN ON wires to the battery charger and got nothing.

Thanks in advance
yes there is a trigger wire. did you check the Screen mechanism diagram in the FSM?
Old 08-16-2010, 06:05 AM

Thanks, HomerMac, got it working yesterday. The signal wires (which i wasn't aware are the signal wires until yesterday), were wired backwards. The screen and the navi cvontroller came with the harnesses/pigtails. I do not have the harness that's somewhere under the dash that the screen and navi contoller connect to, so I spliced the pigtails from each unit to the other. The signal wires connect to the harness backwards (by wire color), and I followed the FSM which didn't work. Once I switched the wires the unit opened.

cardoluis910 - I paid $300 for the the screen, navi, contoller, radio, brackets (which aren't necessary, can use the brackets you have) and dash panel. In addition the components came with the harnesses/pigtails (which are necessary) and I tested the system in the donor car before it was removed.

I have not installed it yet, I was bench testing it this weekend. Hopefully I have the time to do it next weekend.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:30 PM

Same Issue....

"I command you.... Rise from your Grave!!!"

Hey man, I think I'm having the same problem. Can you tell me what wires need to be swapped. Like by color or pin number. Cause I'm wiring one up, and that's the only thing that's not working for me
Old 11-01-2010, 04:53 PM

Viola!... but....

Actually I sat down and looked over the wire diagram and noticed the navi/disp disp/navi pins on each unit and swapped them. POWER!! So now I have the screen, but now when I turn the car off, "Tel" shows up on the display and when I turn the car back on, the radio is on max vol. Time to rummage some more, lol
Old 11-02-2010, 05:55 AM

Glad you figurd out the trigger wires. As for the other issues, check all your wiring again. I assume the the "Tel" is for telephone? I think a phone may have been an option. As for the volume, the I35 did come with auto adjusting volume, I wonder if you hooked up the wire for this. I am familiar with the FSM diagrams, but do not remember seeing a wire for this, so can't be more help than that.

The first time I start the car each morning the screen opens and immediately closes. I have to keep it on manual open and afte the car is started I press the open button. After the initial start it opens and stays open on each subsequent start. Still havent figure out why it does that.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:40 AM

Voice guidance

Fixed! I pulled it apart again. I started by looking for the telephone harness, the FSM showed that we have a prewire for it, harness M16. tore some things aloose, and found where it is, but you only can reach it if you take the dash off. So I went back and took out the system and noticed that the 2 of the 3 wires for voice guidance were touching. Got in there and stuffed them up to the insulation into the harness and replugged it, and the TEL went away, and I have the voice guidance working now. I had tried to hook it up initially, but the harness pin connectors weren't built into my audio M68 harness cause it was non navi. And I don't think I have the volume adjustment feature you're talking about, cause I have an I30, not 35. Wish I did for the sport shift and rear heated seats, lol. But now everything is straight. Just waiting for the gps antenna, and I'll get to full on testing. Right now it boots up wit me in Hoboken all the time. Like I could afford to live there