Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Infiniti i35 / Nissan Maxima Vapor Canister Purge Valve Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 06:28 PM

Infiniti i35 / Nissan Maxima Vapor Canister Purge Valve Replacement

If you have same car and have a Service Engine Soon indicator and the light is on because of emission leakage, you might need to replace the vapor canister purge valve. Keep in mind though that before you do that, check your fuel cap, if the plastic inside it is yellow color instead of white, replace it first. The fuel cap will cost you about $20 whereas the purge valve will cost $50 and up.

Replacement of the Vapor Canister Purge Valve is very easy. I took some pictures, but it was hard to take them so they turned out not too good.

First thing you need to do is get tools ready. You will need the vapor canister purge valve, two screws, 10mm wrench, punk buster is recommended as the screws that hold vapor canister purge valve might be hard to take off. Use punk buster on them once, then wait about 10 minutes and use it again.

First thing you need to do now is take out the hose that is connected to the purge valve.

Then try to take the screws out. It might be hard to get to the screws, at least to one of them. You can always remove the hoses around the valve as it is very easy to put them back in once you done. Some of them are secured with clamp. You can move the clamp simply by using pair of pliers.

If you are unsuccessful to take out the screws, you will need to replace the Vapor Canister as well. This canister cost $200 and up, so try your best to avoid the replacement. If you will replace it, it’s simple job as well. Just take screws around the canister and remove the canister along with the valve attached to it.

If you were able to remove the screws, then slide the valve out of the canister. You will notice that there is electrical connector still attached to the valve. Gently try to remove the connector from the valve. Be careful not to break the connector as it will cost money and lots of stress to install new connector. Once you done with that it’s time to put in new valve.

Do exactly the same, but in opposite order. First, put connector on the valve. Now, slide the valve inside the canister. Secure the valve with two new screws. Put all hoses back where they were before. It should not be hard, but to be on a safe side, you can take a picture before starting the replacement.

Hopefully I explained everything; if you have any questions feel free to ask here. I just hope I can answer them to you :smile:

Since I first published it on my web site, here is the link to the original (my) source:
http://bestpcreviews.com/car/191-inf...placement.html

By the way you are more than welcome to add this tutorial anywhere you want with the link to original source

Last edited by pahanorlando; 02-08-2011 at 06:31 PM.