Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Koni Yellow Stiffness Setting

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 10:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Koni Yellow Stiffness Setting

Hey everyone, I'm putting in Koni struts tomorrow with Eibach springs and was wondering what the best front/rear setting for the Konis is? I want the best possible handling I can get without making the ride unbearable. I'll probably also be putting in a RSB and FSTB in the near future if that makes a difference. Thanks!
Old 05-23-2012, 10:34 PM
Got Retrofit?

Go full stiff.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:26 PM
Schnell kaputt

Koni Yellows are rebound adjustable only. I suggest dialing back 1/2-3/4 turn from full stiffness in the rear. The adjustment **** is terribly non-linear (the last ~1/2 turn on them from full stiff causes huge changes) but you can check how much of a difference it makes and whether both sides match by compressing the piston on both and let them rebound at the same time. Mine are about 1/2 turn on one side and about 3/4 on the other for matched rebound. Since you're already going to add an RSB I would stay away from maximum rebound stiffness as you'll increase oversteer. You can set the fronts in the middle and adjust from there. If you can afford the time and patience, adjust either the front or rears first and dial them in before you tackle the other end.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:06 PM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
Go full stiff.
I would disagree with this. I ran shortened Konis/Eibachs for about 4-5 years and since the OP is concerned with ride quality, I would generally not recommend anything over 1/2 stiff for the front and 3/4 stiff for the rear. Heck, I ran my fronts at full soft on the street and only turned them up to full stiff for auto-x. And I only turned them up at auto-x to look cool, since it made no discernible benefit to handling

Since I haven't seen it mentioned specifically in here, I will state the obvious that the rears are only adjustable when off the car, whereas the fronts can be adjusted with that silly **** device. I set the rear at 75% and never touched it again.

Originally Posted by Bonka
Koni Yellows are rebound adjustable only. I suggest dialing back 1/2-3/4 turn from full stiffness in the rear. The adjustment **** is terribly non-linear (the last ~1/2 turn on them from full stiff causes huge changes) but you can check how much of a difference it makes and whether both sides match by compressing the piston on both and let them rebound at the same time. Mine are about 1/2 turn on one side and about 3/4 on the other for matched rebound. Since you're already going to add an RSB I would stay away from maximum rebound stiffness as you'll increase oversteer. You can set the fronts in the middle and adjust from there. If you can afford the time and patience, adjust either the front or rears first and dial them in before you tackle the other end.
That's a great idea to keep in mind! I don't think I matched my rears when I installed them. But why are you talking about oversteer like it's something to be avoided? Oversteer is awesome!

I would also like to just state that my ride quality improved dramatically when I switched from the Konis/Eibachs to the BC coilovers with upgraded spring rates! The point is, in my opinion, it doesn't really matter what the Konis are set to; they're going to ride poorly if they're on Eibachs. If you're not planning on doing any sort auto-x or road courses you could probably set the rears closer to 1/2 stiff and be quite happy.

As far as oversteer goes, I can say that in some 30+ auto-x events with the K/E combo I encountered oversteer a total of more or less exactly three times. With the BCs on the car I have played with oversteer in 2/2 races. Even like this, the car is pretty damn neutral, so I wouldn't worry about anything on a K/E setup. I have my RSB set at full stiff and the panhard rod swap.

Last edited by 95maxrider; 05-24-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:18 PM
Schnell kaputt

Says the guy with better feel of an A32 than most others on here I ventured to assume the predictability of understeer would be preferred for most people especially without track/road course experience

Actually you bring up an interesting point, 95. I personally found the addition of an RSB onto our solid axle makes the rear a little more jittery than I'd like on the I, hence no RSB on the coilovered Maxima. Perhaps I'm more used to understeer bias than I think
Old 05-25-2012, 06:06 AM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by Bonka
Says the guy with better feel of an A32 than most others on here I ventured to assume the predictability of understeer would be preferred for most people especially without track/road course experience

Actually you bring up an interesting point, 95. I personally found the addition of an RSB onto our solid axle makes the rear a little more jittery than I'd like on the I, hence no RSB on the coilovered Maxima. Perhaps I'm more used to understeer bias than I think
You're probably right, if I didn't have all my track experience, my lift-off oversteer experiences would have been much more difficult to control. I should note that that has only ever happened while racing and never once on the street (and I drive hard on the street).

It's true the RSB does add some harshness to the rear end, but for me it's not enough to remove it. Heck, even with the panhard rod, RSB and stiff rear coilover springs the car still isn't tail happy enough for me! Understeer is safe but boring; oversteer is more dangerous but infinitely more fun