Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Looking @ an I30 - Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 12:06 PM

Looking @ an I30 - Opinions?

Saw this...as an ever avid deal hunter I look for cheap stuff a lot. I was thinking of selling my 4th gen after I picked this up and got it fixed... what do you think of the car for the price and the issue? Guy says in D it just revs up as if it was in neutral, drives fine in 1st, 2nd, and reverse. Think it needs a transmission?

http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/cto/3098534527.html
Old 06-28-2012, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Saddles
Saw this...as an ever avid deal hunter I look for cheap stuff a lot. I was thinking of selling my 4th gen after I picked this up and got it fixed... what do you think of the car for the price and the issue? Guy says in D it just revs up as if it was in neutral, drives fine in 1st, 2nd, and reverse. Think it needs a transmission?

http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/cto/3098534527.html
600 is cheap, and I approve of the color but it looks like it has been beaten on. Dig in further, maybe a carfax too if youre serious. Trannies at my local junkyard are fairly cheap, don't know if you have any in your area
Old 06-28-2012, 04:52 PM

I buy and sell cars here and there. I ended up with a 95 max for $640 - $1000 after I got it up to snuff thx to the org. Really enjoy having the older body style car for my DD instead of my 5.5gen. My girlfriend rolled her truck so I am kind of needing to try to sell my 95 at a bit of a profit to help her replace it, and thought it might be nice to pick up this i30 and fix it to replace my DD and enjoy the upgrade at the same time

I talked to him, he says body is straight, I agree with you though I see some scuffs or something on the hood. AC and all power options work. He said just one day it wont move in drive, never felt slipping. 1st and 2nd gears work. Reverse works. Says it is like hitting the gas in neutral while in drive. I probably ought to just go look at it, but I know if I do I'll bring it home and thats why I needed opinions first

I am wondering if it could be something simple with the transmission...since it has some gears. But I understand this could be a slipping band? And these cars bands are adjustable? Need to do more research. Heading that way now.

Looking forward to potentially getting more involved over here in i30 land.

Last edited by Saddles; 06-28-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Saddles
I buy and sell cars here and there. I ended up with a 95 max for $640 - $1000 after I got it up to snuff thx to the org. Really enjoy having the older body style car for my DD instead of my 5.5gen. My girlfriend rolled her truck so I am kind of needing to try to sell my 95 at a bit of a profit to help her replace it, and thought it might be nice to pick up this i30 and fix it to replace my DD and enjoy the upgrade at the same time

I talked to him, he says body is straight, I agree with you though I see some scuffs or something on the hood. AC and all power options work. He said just one day it wont move in drive, never felt slipping. 1st and 2nd gears work. Reverse works. Says it is like hitting the gas in neutral while in drive. I probably ought to just go look at it, but I know if I do I'll bring it home and thats why I needed opinions first

I am wondering if it could be something simple with the transmission...since it has some gears. But I understand this could be a slipping band? And these cars bands are adjustable? Need to do more research. Heading that way now.

Looking forward to potentially getting more involved over here in i30 land.
Well sounds like you have more experience than me with this, and that you know what you are doing. Asssuming you are mechanically skilled, I'd then encourage you to consider the deal. I'm not too knowledgable on transmissions, but I would think it is a linkage problem?