Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

2000 Infiniti I30 shuts off when put into gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 08:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2000 Infiniti I30 shuts off when put into gear

Hi, I'm new here and in need of some advice for my 2000 Infiniti I30. I purchased used a week ago, and two days later I had a hard time getting it to start. After giving it a lil gas I got it to turn over, but it sounded like it was choking to death rumbling, shaking, and idling up and down. While it's running, I'm hearing a popping sound and when I put it in drive or reverse it shakes and shuts off. I can't get it out the driveway and don't have a lot of money for repairs. Maybe with your advice I can rule out some things and not get hit in the head by run around mechanics. I also forgot to mention that when I looked under the hood there was no air filter in the car. I don't know how long it's been that way, but I've only driven the car myself for two days after purchasing as is.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sounds like MAF sensor to me, those are the exact symptoms my car exhibited when I bought it.

After being screwed over by what I thought was a trustworthy mechanic to try and find the problem, I discovered this site and was able to fix it myself in 5 minutes for under $100 bucks (mechanic had quoted $800 to "take care of the problem" and wouldn't tell me what needed to be fixed).

You can buy MAF sensor cleaner at the auto parts store and try cleaning it first, and see if there is any improvement. Mine was too far gone, and needed to be replaced.

Good luck, I hope it is a simple fix for you.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thank you for the advice. I tried and couldn't get the plug off the sensor.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by kbrown2112
thank you for the advice. I tried and couldn't get the plug off the sensor.
Keep in mind, this is a 13 year old car and the plug is probably just a little stuck on from age and possibly never being removed. Took a few minutes to get the plug off the MAF on my I30. Since I think it's the same plug design with a clip to push in, get a small pair of pliers and grab onto the clip better. I did this when I changed my headlight bulbs and it made things much easier.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok, I changed the MAF sensor and nothing has changed. It still shuts off in drive or reverse. The car starts right up, sounds really rough though. Anymore suggestions to what may be wrong. Haven't been able to drive now for over a month.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:46 PM

Is the check engine light on? Does the check engine light work? Test it. Get in the car and turn the key to the ON position but don't start the engine. All the warning lights should be lit up, including the SES (check engine) light. Then take the car to an auto parts store and ask them to read the codes. Its free.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by kbrown2112
Ok, I changed the MAF sensor and nothing has changed. It still shuts off in drive or reverse. The car starts right up, sounds really rough though. Anymore suggestions to what may be wrong. Haven't been able to drive now for over a month.
My first thought was MAF.. Other Possibilities I would also check out: spark plugs, ignition coils, air filter, o2 sensors, catalytic converter, fuel filter, IACV, throttle motor. Since it's a 2000, I would definitely check out the ignition coils. Replace them with the updated coils.. Those were notoriously bad.

Last edited by Compton; 03-28-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

No, the check engine light is not on. I also thought it might not be working, but it does. Also the night before having this problem, I added a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner in with the gas. I put 87 because I was trying to fill up at BJs and they didn't sell premium. I figured I would just add an octane boost later. The car ran fine before doing this.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:40 AM

This is an interesting revelation. I wonder exactly what the car is trying to run on for fuel. Till you get a fresh tank of gasoline, diagnosing will have to be put on hold.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Okay, while waiting on someone to help me take the gas out I decided to try the octane boost along with a fuel injector cleaner. So far the the popping sound seems to have settled down and the idling is still a little rough at the beginning. But as the car warms up the idle goes down to about 7pts before zero and when I turn the heat or a/c on the car shuts off. If I press the button to let the windows down it shuts off then too. The idle drops to zero and just dies as if I took the key out or something.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:06 PM

A car shutting off when you turn on something electrical sounds like you have a discharged battery and an alternator that is not charging. Get a volt meter and check the voltage at the battery - before starting the car and while it is running.

not running = approx 12.4 volts. running = approx 14 volts.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey Everyone, I just bought a 2000 Infiniti I30, and i am having the same exact problem. unknowingly i filled the tank with regular gas (octane 87) and soon after the check engine light came on and i have had issues keeping the car running after starting it. I can start it but can only keep it running by revving it, sometimes this helps to keep it on but usually it just dies as soon as i take my foot of the gas. if i am fortunate to keep it on going, putting the car in reverse it shuts off, making a turn it shuts off and if i turn of the engine, trying to start it the same issue occurs. i've spoke to several people and the first thing i tried was putting lucas octane boost in the (full) tank. still no change and it is getting harder to keep it running. at one point the engine tempt rose to the very top (from revving the engine i suppose) i bought this car two days ago. if anyone has had this issue or knows how to fix it any help will be truly appreciated.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by onaderu
Hey Everyone, I just bought a 2000 Infiniti I30, and i am having the same exact problem. unknowingly i filled the tank with regular gas (octane 87) and soon after the check engine light came on and i have had issues keeping the car running after starting it. I can start it but can only keep it running by revving it, sometimes this helps to keep it on but usually it just dies as soon as i take my foot of the gas. if i am fortunate to keep it on going, putting the car in reverse it shuts off, making a turn it shuts off and if i turn of the engine, trying to start it the same issue occurs. i've spoke to several people and the first thing i tried was putting lucas octane boost in the (full) tank. still no change and it is getting harder to keep it running. at one point the engine tempt rose to the very top (from revving the engine i suppose) i bought this car two days ago. if anyone has had this issue or knows how to fix it any help will be truly appreciated.
Have a OBD2 scan done first and foremost. This will tell you what is wrong. (SES Light)

AutoZone does free scans.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:59 PM

Not sure how much rain you have had in your area, but we have had a bunch here. With the symptoms that have been noted, I wonder if you guys have gotten some bad gas with water in it. It just seems too coincidental that both had a problem after getting gas. Unless you are under load, you should not notice any difference between 87and 93 octane.
Randy