Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

2000 i30 jerk while shifting

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 12:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2000 i30 jerk while shifting

I own a 2000 i30 with appx. 125,000 miles on it. A couple of weeks ago, I started to notice that it would jerk roughly to the left while I was accelerating hard. The jerk only seems to happen when the transmission shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear, and only at more than 3k RPM. A Google search produced no results besides another person with the same issue on a different forum that was never resolved, and the service manual I have has nothing on this issue. Do the experts here have any idea what might be going on here?
Old 01-13-2014, 01:01 PM

From what I understand, you're saying the car pulls left when the jerking occurs?

What's the tranny service history, i.e., last fluid change, type of fluid in it now, etc?
Old 01-13-2014, 02:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yes, the pull to the left is what I'm referring to when I say a 'jerk.' It's a sharp sudden movement, as if somebody had grabbed the steering wheel and pulled it left. Unfortunately, I bought the car used with 123k miles on it, so I have no idea of the history of the transmission except that it was a lease car up until it was sold at auction a couple of years ago. I did a fluid change myself when I bought the car about 4 months ago. If I recall correctly, I re-filled it with Mobil 1 synthetic ATX fluid, but I could be wrong.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:32 PM

How are the trans and engine mounts?
Old 01-13-2014, 11:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

All of the mounts look just fine. No excessive wear or cracking to be found.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

have you found jerk yet?

I had the same problem with my I30 a couple of times, check your lower control arms either bushings are wore out or ball joint is gone. Either way they don't sell replacement bushing or lower ball joint, so you have to replace whole control arm Napa has the best price on them. You can replace your self if you have experience working on your car I wouldn't advise a first timer to try it.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by squeak34
I had the same problem with my I30 a couple of times, check your lower control arms either bushings are wore out or ball joint is gone. Either way they don't sell replacement bushing or lower ball joint, so you have to replace whole control arm Napa has the best price on them. You can replace your self if you have experience working on your car I wouldn't advise a first timer to try it.
Replacement bushings are available through energy suspension and ball joints can also be purchased separately. I used Moog.

Please don't hand out false information as fact.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

check your facts

Well in Montgomery Alabama no one claims to have access to either shops or part stores and why replace those when a brand new control arm is less than a 100 dollars at Napa, and after 14 years I think I have researched every part on this car.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

its the cv shaft!!!!
mine went and at first i only heard clicking while making turns for a couple weeks then it got worse. it jerked randomly on the highway and half the time my steering wheel didnt move with the jerks. it was like it was disconnected momentarily felt like one of the front tires went flat. i had a few passengers with me it was downright SCARY! at first i slowed down to 40 and i swear almost cried thats how bad it was then it got worse couldnt go over 20 mph or im sure i woulda been in a ditch. an hour later we get to our hometown pulled up to wendy's drive thru and snap snap snap my front end felt like it went criss-cross applesauce. i then bounced and wobbled my way home. thank god my house was a few blocks away. im so positive its your cv's because with acceleration came the random jerks. if your car made noises while turning before the jerks started happening. bring it to a respectable mechanic and have him look at the half shafts. i have witnessed it . it can be very deathly so please get it checked out.
i got both the left and right fixed for a little over $200 at a ford dealer (got a deal because ive known the guys there for most of my life) and now shes riding better than ever

Last edited by SonnyCash; 03-28-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

better with lunch

maybe she jerks while shifting because after the shift the CV's have that bit of torque to manage again (if that makes sense)

edit - lol subject line has my capatcha answer
Old 03-28-2014, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by squeak34
Well in Montgomery Alabama no one claims to have access to either shops or part stores and why replace those when a brand new control arm is less than a 100 dollars at Napa, and after 14 years I think I have researched every part on this car.

You're way too new to be so sure of yourself. The Internet can find things before any part store.

ES bushings are an upgrade from the rubber to polyurethane. No new control arm comes with polyurethane, if that is your argument.

That being said, I don't like to mess with pressing out ball joints and I do buy the whole arm from rockauto to save the frustration, BUT I upgrade the bushings.

The parts still exist though, oh knowledgeable one.

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...FexcMgodPhgAng

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...FckWMgodplEABQ

Last edited by Fakie J Farkerton; 03-28-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Frank_Horrigan
I own a 2000 i30 with appx. 125,000 miles on it. A couple of weeks ago, I started to notice that it would jerk roughly to the left while I was accelerating hard. The jerk only seems to happen when the transmission shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear, and only at more than 3k RPM. A Google search produced no results besides another person with the same issue on a different forum that was never resolved, and the service manual I have has nothing on this issue. Do the experts here have any idea what might be going on here?
I am having this same issue with my 2003. The first time it happened I thought a ghost had taken the wheel. I checked all the mounts for engine and tranny and they where fine. Don't think it's the shafts, but will check. Seems more like lower control arm
Old 04-29-2014, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jsmitty2564
I am having this same issue with my 2003. The first time it happened I thought a ghost had taken the wheel. I checked all the mounts for engine and tranny and they where fine. Don't think it's the shafts, but will check. Seems more like lower control arm
man, its been awhile since I posted here..

I had the same issue with my 01 I30 years ago.. It was indeed the lower control arm bushings.. Mine would pull hard to the left when accelerating then the wheel would jerk hard back after accelerating.. The bushing was basically gone.. I replaced just the bushings and it was good as new.. I did both half shafts at the same time but just because my boots were totally gone as well.. It is most def the bushings or lack of that is causing this..