Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Vibrations over 70

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 07:35 AM

Vibrations over 70

Hey guys,
So Ive looked all over for this issue and really haven't found a definite answer and thought id ask if someone has come across this problem recently and what they did to solve it. Now during my research, I have acome across these solutions:
1) wheels balancing (road force balancing)
2) Engine mounts going bad
3) axles going bad
4) getting an alignment
5) suspension components needing replacement
6) Possible bent rim
7) replacing control arms, tie rods, sway bar end links.

Now Ive all ready tried wheel balancing, not the road force ones and that didn't solve the problem. Alignments Ive heard people say will not really solve a vibration problem which I agree with. I have a feeling its the axles cause when Im over 70 and you know how highways turn right and left, well when im going right, the vibrations increase a tad bit, but when I go left, they increase a whole lot more which makes it sound as if the left one is going bad or something. Im gonna get it inspected soon but just wanted your thoughts on it. I know this is a hard problem and unless you see something physically wrong with the part, all you can do it trial and error and try fixing all the parts that can cause this problem but I want to avoid spending $1000 to fix something that can be for $200. Any help would be appreciated

Last edited by thenewguyy; 01-26-2014 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:38 PM

Jack up the front end and start tugging on everything. Hold the tire at 3 and 9 and check for play in the tie rods. Do the same at 12 and 6 for the lower ball joints. Put a pry bar between the ball joint and where it attaches to the steering knuckle and move the bar up and down. There shouldn't be any movement of the ball joint. Hold and move the CV axle at different places and check for play at the outer and inner joints/boots. Grab the outer tie rod and check for play and do the same with the inner tie rod near the steering rack. To rule out the wheel bearings, spin the front tire with your hand and while it's spinning hold the springs of the strut. You shouldn't feel any vibrations/roughness in the springs during this time.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by mclasser
Jack up the front end and start tugging on everything. Hold the tire at 3 and 9 and check for play in the tie rods. Do the same at 12 and 6 for the lower ball joints. Put a pry bar between the ball joint and where it attaches to the steering knuckle and move the bar up and down. There shouldn't be any movement of the ball joint. Hold and move the CV axle at different places and check for play at the outer and inner joints/boots. Grab the outer tie rod and check for play and do the same with the inner tie rod near the steering rack. To rule out the wheel bearings, spin the front tire with your hand and while it's spinning hold the springs of the strut. You shouldn't feel any vibrations/roughness in the springs during this time.
Thanks for the great reply, will look into it all =)
Old 03-06-2014, 09:21 AM

So a little update on this. I havent had the chance to look at all the things mentioned by mclasser but I have an oil change coming up and will all this looked at by my mechanic then. I had an isue with my rear passenger calipers seizing (wife drove around with handbrake on without knowing about it). Put in a brand new caliper and they said the driver side isnt as bad and put something in the lines to free it up. I was thinking maybe this might take care of the vibrations but no cigar there. They also did mentioned my tie rods were slightly loose and they tightened it or something but vibrations are still there. Ill get all this thoroughly checked out very soon but it got me thinking, any chance motor mounts could be bad? I have no shake at idle, its all at 70 plus so Im thinking pretty slim chance its the mounts.

PS. looks like my oil pan is leaking oil, its not as much that if i park a car overnight, id see a puddle or any drops but just the fast its wet has me thinking of changing it with my upcoming oil change. Now I called a few places, some say I need the gasket, others say I dont and can use the silicon stuff, who is right? and I think just changing the lower one should be sufficient, right?

Last edited by thenewguyy; 03-06-2014 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:56 PM

Vibrations are typically caused by tires and wheel balancing, especially vibrations at high speeds. Had the same problem in my 97 i30 after new Falkon Ziex 912s.
Jack the car up and do the wheel shake test for extreme play. 10 and 2 movement is the wheel bearing, 3 and 9 movement is the tie rods, and 12 and 6 movement is the ball joints.

In regards to the leak, are we talking oil, coolant, or power steering fluid? Could be lots of things that leak off of the oil pan. Have a mechanic check it out if you have trouble diagnosing...
Old 03-07-2014, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by sanford7575
Vibrations are typically caused by tires and wheel balancing, especially vibrations at high speeds. Had the same problem in my 97 i30 after new Falkon Ziex 912s.
Jack the car up and do the wheel shake test for extreme play. 10 and 2 movement is the wheel bearing, 3 and 9 movement is the tie rods, and 12 and 6 movement is the ball joints.

In regards to the leak, are we talking oil, coolant, or power steering fluid? Could be lots of things that leak off of the oil pan. Have a mechanic check it out if you have trouble diagnosing...

Thats exactly why I did wheel balancing as soon as I felt vibrations over a certain speed limit. Ive had my tires checked by a few people for any imbalances in addition to the balancing and they found nothing. I will get my whole front end checked out pretty soon since I have an oil change coming up. As for the leak, its not exactly a leak, as in I dont see drops of any sort on the floor but the oil pan itself is damp from the bottom. I wasnt sure anything else could cause for it to be damp other than the oil it holds, Im thinking I can prolong it until the next oil change when Ill know for sure exactly or I can just change it now. Not sure yet.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:21 AM

This happened to me and it was due to my tires 5 pounds over the limit.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:01 PM

I actually have had my tire pressure checked and adjusted to be on the safe side, but that didnt help.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:58 PM

How about an axle? How many miles do you have on the front axles?
Old 03-10-2014, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by venturous
How about an axle? How many miles do you have on the front axles?
Im not sure exactly how many miles are on it, I bought the car few months back with about 72k miles, Its possible they are the original axles and might be going bad. Going to my mechanic tonight to get a thorough checkup done
Old 03-12-2014, 08:19 PM

I also have the same issue. I always had vibration on my 2003 I35, I changed axle, tie rods and control arm but the vibration never went away. I checked my tires a week ago and found out that the front driver side tire has uneven wear, I think that's whats been causing all the vibrations. I will take it to the alignment shop to see it there is an alignment problems. Is there anything else that can cause this vibration, I was thinking of replacing struts mounts and springs, can anyone please let me know how to go about it. I have almost 200k miles and the vibration has always been there.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by zee4112
I also have the same issue. I always had vibration on my 2003 I35, I changed axle, tie rods and control arm but the vibration never went away. I checked my tires a week ago and found out that the front driver side tire has uneven wear, I think that's whats been causing all the vibrations. I will take it to the alignment shop to see it there is an alignment problems. Is there anything else that can cause this vibration, I was thinking of replacing struts mounts and springs, can anyone please let me know how to go about it. I have almost 200k miles and the vibration has always been there.
Vibration is usually wheel/tire balance related, BUT if you have an aftermarket axle without the rubber dampener then that's the issue 9 out of 10.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:57 AM

Luckily for me, changing the tie rods have taken care of the vibrations for now, fingers crossed lol
Old 03-14-2014, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by thenewguyy
Luckily for me, changing the tie rods have taken care of the vibrations for now, fingers crossed lol
That's good, my problem is probably alignment or strut mounts etc. The vibrations was there even on original drive axles, its always been there.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:36 PM

That's good, my problem is probably alignment or strut mounts etc. The vibrations was there even on original drive axles, its always been there.
changing all the bushings wont hurt either