Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

SAI angle for 03 i35

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 01:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

SAI angle for 03 i35

My steering axis inclination angle is supposed to be around 13 degrees but it's at 15 degrees and when I went to align it they didn't say anything they just gave me back my car and I didn't notice anything until my uncle was looking at the readout and mentioned it. As a result the steering was still pulling slightly to the right after 5 or 6 seconds right after the alignment. Then about a week later my alignment was pulling to the right like normal. So what could it be?

I also can hear my power steering whine when I lock my wheel out to either side, especially the right, I replaced the power steering pump hose with a 03 maxima hose which doesn't look as high quality sadly haha. Maybe that's why?

Lastly I cannot reach cattman to buy my header or y-pipe. I've tried calling several numbers and emailing him several times for weeks, I guess I'll keep trying unless someone has those parts for sale.

Thank you all, let me know if I can help anyone with anything and I also have 03 oem i35 sidemarkers for sale!
Old 05-20-2014, 07:23 PM

On a MacPherson strut suspension, the steering axis inclination line runs through the lower ball joint and upper strut mount or bearing plate. SAI is a built-in nonadjustable angle and is used with camber and the included angle to diagnose bent spindles, struts and mis-located cross members.

Camber is the lean of the wheel/tire from vertical ans SAI is the lean of the strut from vertical.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:19 AM

Your power steering pump is supposed to whine at the end of travel. You should not turn the wheel all the way as the pump essentially pumping fluid against itself when the rack is at the end and it hurts the pump/system. When I hit full lock I turn back 20 degrees or so immediately.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by DennisMik
On a MacPherson strut suspension, the steering axis inclination line runs through the lower ball joint and upper strut mount or bearing plate. SAI is a built-in nonadjustable angle and is used with camber and the included angle to diagnose bent spindles, struts and mis-located cross members.

Camber is the lean of the wheel/tire from vertical ans SAI is the lean of the strut from vertical.
Yes I read somewhere that the sai angle means something is bent and that's why the wheel is off center. So is it as simple as replacing a strut or other suspension component? Or is this permanent? Btw the car was in an accident in the front passenger corner.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:39 PM

It is a pure guess to say that replacing any part will correct the SAI angle without have the car checked. When you add the accident factor, that adds the possibility that the frame could be bent/warped and allows the lca to be mis-positioned.

It is not permanent if you chose the have it corrected. But you need to have the car checked by a collision/frame shop. A regular body shop or wheel alignment shop won't have the proper equipment.

See page 63 in the FSM for all the alignment angles that are checkable.

http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Infiniti/I35/2003/BT.pdf