Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

HELP!Going to buy i35.Are there diff. models diff. in years etc.?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 04:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

HELP!Going to buy i35.Are there diff. models diff. in years etc.?

Hello,ive been researching nonstop for hours and since I am really interested in buying an I35(I believe they seem to be the best bang for the buck out there at this moment for around 35-4500) and still cannot seem to seem to get the right answers... Is there any different model i35's for example i35t or say regular,sport etc.? Do they all have the vlsd? I would EXTREMELY appreciate a clear answer on any possible differences as far as motor/trans/suspension/wheels(last of my worries)/visual etc.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-23-2014, 12:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cool thanks for all the input guys...btw, yall forgot to mention in your "Whats the Difference between the I30 / I35 and I30 / I35t", what actual model "t" youre talking about as far as if youre talking about the i30t or the i35t AND if any of the models OUTSIDE of the "t" to be able to have ANY of the feautures listed.

I know a solid ammount about cars and practically 90% of all models and makes out there, but you expect a true newbie into the car scene to actually know?

Not even mad, but was REALLY suprised not even ONE person responded to a simple question. Like yall have a petition of "HA, look at this guy, do the ten hours of research buddy. You only get a reply a year after joining."

Id love a reply now, maybe youll get one in return after...Its how it usually works lolz.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:20 PM

I35 was a single model single trim car. All options are added when u go to dealer and order to ship or just pick ones with options you want. There is no "t" option on i35. They only come in auto. The car is decked out factory. If you want options, get a maxima. I35 will have leather and comfort everything standard. Only thing I think were options would have been LSD/Sunroof/Navigation.

http://www.cars.com/infiniti/i35/200...=USB30INC071A0
http://www.edmunds.com/infiniti/i35/...tyle=100183175
Old 05-26-2014, 12:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by NismoCefiro
I35 was a single model single trim car. All options are added when u go to dealer and order to ship or just pick ones with options you want. There is no "t" option on i35. They only come in auto. The car is decked out factory. If you want options, get a maxima. I35 will have leather and comfort everything standard. Only thing I think were options would have been LSD/Sunroof/Navigation.

http://www.cars.com/infiniti/i35/200...=USB30INC071A0
http://www.edmunds.com/infiniti/i35/...tyle=100183175
Thank you very much for your reply and putting in some information.. definitely did not know there was not a "t" model and that LSD is simply an option on the 3 years they made the i35...because to be honest that was the only thing that I thought would be nice to have especially since its FWD and a slightly heavier luxury car. Any recommendations on things to possibly look for when buying them that TENDS to be a common problem,anyone? I definitely am going to take whatever i35 im close to buying to the dealer for a diagnostic but perhaps things that the diagnostic can miss.

Once again, thanks a lot. I do also know that every year they made standard adjustments during different years that were optional on others.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:41 AM

I believe the I35 was the same for all years. There was no Touring model, just a Sport package that added different (8-spoke) wheels, the side sills, rear spoiler, and stiffer suspension. The 2004 may have had VSC from what I read but I can't be certain. Not positive about the LSD on the I35, but I know the A33 I30 Touring models had them. Look for Cold Weather Package I35 models that had heated rear seats as well as a heated steering wheel.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:44 PM

Going back into my notes, LSD was not an option for i35. Only one part number for left axle and it is the same as non-lsd 2000-2002 maxima. LSD axle has a different part number. All you get with i35 and added package would be the rims and suspension like MaxMike93 said and navigation.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Going back into my notes, LSD was not an option for i35. Only one part number for left axle and it is the same as non-lsd 2000-2002 maxima. LSD axle has a different part number. All you get with i35 and added package would be the rims and suspension like MaxMike93 said and navigation.
Wow&youre 100%, like ive seen and others have said... I thought it was pretty much 100% that the sport package had LSD. Which is funny because all the other upgrades the sport package has can easily be done for cheaper and better by ourselves.

Thanks a bunch for taking your time to input.. Anything i35s are known for going out? I just REALLY need to hit a home run on my next purchase after finally saving some money. Or just for fun,if you had 4gs, what would you get?
Old 05-27-2014, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by adama1212
Wow&youre 100%, like ive seen and others have said... I thought it was pretty much 100% that the sport package had LSD. Which is funny because all the other upgrades the sport package has can easily be done for cheaper and better by ourselves.

Thanks a bunch for taking your time to input.. Anything i35s are known for going out? I just REALLY need to hit a home run on my next purchase after finally saving some money. Or just for fun,if you had 4gs, what would you get?
Like posted a lot, oil burning is a big issue for the early VQ35 engines in the 5.5 and I35. Check the exhaust for a weird smell or blue smoke while revving it or taking a spirited drive. If it is in a cold-weather state where salt is used on the roads in the winter, check the lower radiator support and rear wheel wells for excessive corrosion. My support is just starting to bubble so I'll have to do something to try and protect it, but it's far from rotting. Other than that, they are pretty much a comfortable, bulletproof ride.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MaxMike93
Like posted a lot, oil burning is a big issue for the early VQ35 engines in the 5.5 and I35. Check the exhaust for a weird smell or blue smoke while revving it or taking a spirited drive. If it is in a cold-weather state where salt is used on the roads in the winter, check the lower radiator support and rear wheel wells for excessive corrosion. My support is just starting to bubble so I'll have to do something to try and protect it, but it's far from rotting. Other than that, they are pretty much a comfortable, bulletproof ride.
Thats what i was waiting for, an actual owners feedback. I appreciate it my man. Most on the web have around 150-180k miles. Still safe at those stages, if everything else checks out?
Old 05-27-2014, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by adama1212
Thats what i was waiting for, an actual owners feedback. I appreciate it my man. Most on the web have around 150-180k miles. Still safe at those stages, if everything else checks out?
A couple people have close to 300k but I wouldn't look into buying a car with that many miles. For something in your price range, I'd look for something maybe just over 100k IF there is records of that service being done. All Infinitis have a service guide included with the books so look to see if major repairs had been done if they have passed their interval. Just because things will wear and need to be replaced especially on a 10+ year old car. I got lucky three years ago finding mine with super low miles but I paid $11K. I'm at about 59k miles now and all is good (except for this weird noise that apparently not even the techs at the dealer I work at can hear).
Old 05-27-2014, 11:44 PM

+1 for MaxMike93

I got mine in 2004 for 11k with 62,000 Miles. I now have 215,000 miles. Even though our vq is slightly different, I know the early models have the oil consumption problem, but if you pick up one without, and you do regular changes with synthetic, you should be fine. At worse you can swap out vq's for newer model short block assembly and its still penny on the dollars for what you pay for in total. 4k is close to what i spent on swapping the tranny alone.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

+1 for MaxMike93

I got mine in 2004 for 11k with 62,000 Miles. I now have 215,000 miles. Even though our vq is slightly different, I know the early models have the oil consumption problem, but if you pick up one without, and you do regular changes with synthetic, you should be fine. At worse you can swap out vq's for newer model short block assembly and its still penny on the dollars for what you pay for in total. 4k is close to what i spent on swapping the tranny alone.
Yeah well obviously you guys were in different boats when yall purchased yours haha.For example, parts would be a lot cheaper these days IF something were to take a dump because ofcourse you always have to be prepared for the worst. When were talking about oil consumption problem, what years are we really talking about and is there anyway once again if the drivers test(me)&diagnostic at the dealer CANT catch it?

P.S- How touchy&often are sensors known for going off or going bad? Thanks again Mike&Nismo.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Common Problems:
- Oil consumption (already stated)
- Pinging
- Sub woofer failure
- Window regulators (according to infiniti mechanic I spoke with)
- Bose head unit failure
- Power steering pressure hose

All in all they are pretty reliable cars. I've had mine for over 4 years starting at 56K miles and now have over 122K. In that timeframe, I have replaced the following:

- Injectors (one got clogged)
- Solenoid pack for the trans (Just went bad not sure why)
- Spark plugs, twice (routine maintenance)
- MAF (because they came out with an updated one that was supposed to fix the pinging)
- Valve cover gaskets
- Radiator
- Power steering pressure hose
- PCV valve 2-3 times (routine maintenance)

Make sure whatever you buy is not an oil burner, or a pinger. Either one will drive you nuts! I don't know of any problems with sensors on these cars. Hope that helps.