Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Scraping noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 05:19 PM

Scraping noise

So I have this slight scraping noise coming from my driver side front wheel. Ive done research on it and have read about backing plate hitting to stuff getting caught up in the brakes, can anyone whose experienced this help me out, thanks

This guy describes exactly what im experiencing but out cars don't have that plate if I recall

and this is a little extreme of what I am experiencing but its somewhat similar
Old 07-06-2015, 07:19 PM

Your car should have those backing plates on it unless someone took them off. It is a splash shield to prevent stuff, especially oily stuff, from getting on the rotors and then contaminating the brake pads.

As far as what is causing the noise, I don't know. Take the tire off on the wheel that is making the noise and spin the wheel and see where the noise is coming from.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:09 AM

Heres the pics I tool today and theres no backing plate behind the rotors
Old 07-08-2015, 12:28 AM

OK, someone took the shield off so it probably isn't the noise maker. When you rotated the wheel, where did the scraping noise sound like it was coming from?
Old 07-09-2015, 07:21 AM

I haven't had the chance to take the wheel off yet but want to see what it could be before I go to the mechanic so am basically trying to see what he says with what I find out. A quick video of me driving around with the noise

View My Video

You hear it better in the second half of the video
Old 07-09-2015, 09:40 AM

There a 3 things that can make noise when the wheel turns: brakes, axle and wheel bearing.

I didn't bother to watch the video. If you can't be bothered to take the wheel off and spin the hub, I can't be bothered to watch the video.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
There a 3 things that can make noise when the wheel turns: brakes, axle and wheel bearing.

I didn't bother to watch the video. If you can't be bothered to take the wheel off and spin the hub, I can't be bothered to watch the video.
ha? dude, I don't have the tools to take it off, calm down, I said before I go to my mechanic, I was wondering if anyone can guide me as to what it could be so I could go to my mechanic informed rather than him poke around and say everything looks good. Jeez, someone woke at the wrong side of the bed today.....
Im doing everything I can to get help with the pictures and videos, if you don't wanna help, no one asked you to post in here
Its a 30 sec clip dude, all it was a click and view, didn't ask you to waste half you're day now

Last edited by thenewguyy; 07-09-2015 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by thenewguyy
ha? dude, I don't have the tools to take it off, calm down, I said before I go to my mechanic, I was wondering if anyone can guide me as to what it could be so I could go to my mechanic informed rather than him poke around and say everything looks good. Jeez, someone woke at the wrong side of the bed today..... Im doing everything I can to get help with the pictures and videos, if you don't wanna help, no one asked you to post in here
His request is much more simple than yours.
He's trying to help you, but made the mistake of thinking that you were willing to do any work.
You don't want to walk into the mechanics with a guess, yet that's all anyone can do here without you doing a little bit of diagnosis.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:02 PM

wow is the literacy level here non existent or what? Did you even read my post? Actually nvm, you wont understand what im saying so just move on....
Old 07-09-2015, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by thenewguyy
wow is the literacy level here non existent or what? Did you even read my post? Actually nvm, you wont understand what im saying so just move on....
Pictures and videos do little to nothing in your case.
You have to inspect it yourself or just take it to the guy you're paying to find out.
/thread
Old 07-09-2015, 03:47 PM

Thank you, that's all I wanted to know appreciate everyones help
Old 07-10-2015, 03:05 PM

Update on this, as Dennis had mentioned initially, it was the backing plate, apparently the ones on our car don't cover the entire rotor as you see normally but its there, just a lot smaller and as soon as my mechanic spun the wheel, he saw what was happening, he cleared it out as in made some room and the noise is gone.