Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

power antenna woes - down, then up, then down

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 12:48 PM

power antenna woes - down, then up, then down

There is a Clarion CX-501 in the 1998 i30. It was installed several years ago using a Metra kit and some other magic to mate properly with the Bose speakers. Everything about this head unit was perfect for several years.

Maybe a year ago the antenna mast was damaged (backed into the garage door, which hadn't gone all the way up yet). I had a new OEM mast and drive ribbon installed by a mechanic. Everything remained good with the power antenna immediately after the repair for several months...

...until recently, when the power antenna mast began to intermittently remain down, even though the Tuner source was selected on the head unit.

If you leave the Tuner on during your journey, the antenna mast may rise and fall several times before you arrive at your destination - with no corresponding "event" on the head unit (like power on or off, or a spike) whenever the antenna goes up or down "on its own" (except that reception improves, or degrades).

Switching to a source other than Tuner (if the mast happened to be in the up position when you switched away from Tuner) always causes the antenna to retract to closed - this part of the system seems to be operating "as designed".

But just switching back to Tuner (which should always raise the mast) is no guarantee that the mast will actually rise again. Right now I don't have a way to make the antenna rise if it were down - just have to wait until it comes up again.

The mast always goes all the way up and all the way down - with no grinding, or stopping halfway through.

I don't know for certain that the mast replacement 6 months ago necessarily has anything to do with this current issue - although it seemed prudent to mention it.

Any idears or suggestions (before "examine connections on back of head unit")?

Thanks -

BrianA in Houston
Old 02-25-2016, 06:28 PM

The head unit controls the up and down by sending a 12 volt signal to the antenna. This signal should be constant when the antenna is supposed up. You can verify this by checking for 12 volts at the antenna wiring plug, the black with red stripe wire. That connector has 3 wires. The other wires are pink - 12 volts to power the antenna motor and black - chassis ground.

First make sure that the wire harness plug is securely plugged in. If you have 12 volts on the black/red stripe wire and the antenna mast is down, then the printed circuit board in the antenna motor is bad.

If you don't have 12 volts on the black/red stripe wire, then you will have to look at the head unit.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:39 PM

I tested the connection - there was 12V on the red/black wire but the antenna remained down.

I've removed the antenna and disassembled it - the circuit board doesn't show any obvious burn thru, and I don't know what else to look for. Pointers appreciated - I can trace a circuit, and solder.

The black rubber around the antenna base is in two pieces, and the grey gasket on the grey inside-fender escutcheon is separated from the escutcheon. These parts need to be replaced - maybe the whole antenna anyways.

The contours of the fender around the antenna hole, inside the rubber antenna base profile, have been slightly deformed due to previous over tightening...not sure whether to bend the sheet metal back into shape or try again with a new part. The damage to the rubber part is partly due to this sheet metal deformity. Suggestions?

Anybody know a good deal on a new OEM antenna?
Old 03-03-2016, 08:40 AM

orderinfinitiparts.com says:

2820031U16 - antenna, power $224.55
2821631U10 - antenna, base $6.41
2821950Y05 - antenna, mount nut $7.02

$34.94 shipping makes it $272.92 Total. That's a lot of scratch.

Any idears on cheaper access to the OEM part?
Old 03-08-2016, 01:12 PM

http://www.nissaninfinitiparts.com/a...and-radio-scat

I have the "antenna, power" and "antenna, mount nut" on order. Not sure what all the "antenna" will come with but I don't think a "base" is going to be included. Has anyone used a generic or aftermarket base that has the correct contours for an i30 fender/power antenna combo?

The "2821631U10 - antenna, base" is the irregularly shaped black plastic piece that actually touches the fender and is the main exterior-facing component (other than the mount nut). Mine is old and broken.

The word from Infiniti (via a local Infiniti dealer) is “28216-31U10 is out of production with 0 inventory”. This was my second attempt to locate this part - orderinfinitiparts also could not obtain this part.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/auto-pa...and-radio-scat

the Maxima's power antenna number is not an exact match to the infiniti's ("31U06 vs 31U16" and the drawings aren't a 100% match either) and the corresponding maxima "base" (#6 in the nissan drawing) is a) not an exact match for the Infiniti drawing and b) also not listed for sale.

where could I find a new 2821631U10 if not available from Infiniti thru dealership parts desks?
Old 03-11-2016, 10:30 PM

This has me intrigued. I don't know why the part is different between the Infiniti and the Maxima. I went on-line to nissanpartsdeal.com and the part is listed as "This part is discontinued. It is no longer available for purchase" as a Maxima part.
http://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts...216-31u10.html

I go on-line to infinitipartsdeal.com (same company in reality) and there are no messages about not being available.
http://www.infinitipartsdeal.com/par...odel=&Filter=()

I would call infinitipartsdeal and talk to them, they may still have inventory. If they don't have it, then I don't know where you could get it other than a junk yard or make your own.

What is interesting to me is that when I had to replace the antenna on my 97 Maxima, the parts matched the Infiniti drawing, not the Nissan drawing, specifically I had the Guide-antenna rod, 28223-50Y00 which is shown right below the 28216-31U10.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:45 PM

I was not able to find a new Base, so I put it back together by reusing the old Base. Aftermarket $40 Metra (and other) antennas come with a whole mess of different Bases - but the Bases are not available separately.

I used spray tack to attach the grey rubber gasket to the top of the Antenna housing (at inside fender attach point), as the new antenna didn't ship with a gasket installed.

I'm glad I ordered the Nut, as the original nut (and the top of the original antenna) is of a totally different design than its new OEM brethren - and the old nut will not interchange onto the new antenna.

I didn't try to reshape the fender line - it fits together pretty good, or "perfect", now once the Base in installed, and the mast now functions as expected.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:56 AM

This new antenna was working, but now it is not. Now only showing 7 volts on the black/red wire when radio is on - it was 12V when I checked it two weeks ago. Still have good 12V on the pink wire, both made thru the connector ground.

Is it possible to access the back of the head unit after removing the glovebox, or must I go thru all the motions of "replacing the radio" (remove center dash trim) in order to pull the harness connector off the back of the head unit?
Old 03-21-2016, 07:51 PM

I fixed this from the front - there is nothing to be gained by going thru the glovebox, that was a stupid question.

http://www.installerworld.com/Instructions/96I0R.htm

The 12v antenna lead has an insulated barrel connector - the male portion (harness side) was pushed too far into the barrel and not making contact with the female (hot) side.

Of course now I wonder if the old antenna really was defective after all...guess Ill have to test that one day, I'm between bench 12v power supplies at the moment. I did see 12v at the black/red wire and the old antenna remained retracted...AND the new antenna worked right away (and for several days) after installation. Weird.