8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Issues with Door not opening???

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016 | 03:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thumbs down Issues with Door not opening???

Just wondering if anyone is or had an issue with getting in their car. For the past two mornings "16 degree weather" I could not get in my car through the drivers side door. But I have no issue with any other door. After several attempt 30 plus minutes it opened and once closed it wouldn't let me out. It only seems to do this in the morning. And well it happened again this morning so I'm going to the dealer. Just was wondering if anyone else experienced this issue..

The Door is unlocking and locking it just will not open. And no its not frozen because all the other doors never had and issue.
Old 01-06-2016 | 07:09 AM

Not happening on mine.
Old 01-06-2016 | 09:05 AM

That sounds like the door is frozen or you have a defect. Take it to service and tell them the issue.
Old 01-06-2016 | 11:03 AM

We've had a few recent mornings in the 10-20 degree range here in Jersey and no problems for me. Although my car is garaged, is yours exposed?
Old 01-06-2016 | 04:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Smile Fixed

Took to Dealer this morning. They replaced door actuator and locking mechanism. Both were defective..smh
Old 01-08-2016 | 06:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have issues with the doors not opening as well. The car has been back to the dealer 7 times or more. The whole door units have been replaced and the issue was still present. Then the dealer discovered a kink that occurred during manufacturing. This was fixed but another door does not open and there appears to be no kink. This is happening, at different extremes, to other owner as the temperature falls. I have had my vehicle since October of 2015 and have had little use of it because of ongoing issues with the operation of the doors. I have been checking and not only is this a safety concern but it maybe illegal in some places to operate a vehicle on public roads with this limitation on your vehicle. Can others experiencing issues with their doors comment on the thread? Thank you.
Old 01-08-2016 | 09:07 AM

Good grief, I'm wondering why you don't change dealerships or get Nissan corporate involved. 7 or more times to the dealership for the same problem is so wrong for a new car.
Old 01-08-2016 | 09:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the advice Richard66 - The local dealer is doing everything they can, to a point. I bet many owners of the 2016 model will experience similar problem with their car if the live in a maritime climate which dips below freezing. The interior door mechanism design is slightly different from many other Nissans, and it appears problematic. There is one other 2016 in my area and that person is having trouble as well, all be it not to such an extent as I am. The design is such that any slight installation flaw will result in a "freezing up" effect. I have driven the car a mere 1500 miles since October because it has been out of service with this issue. The local dealer, the only one within 200 miles, has replace the whole mechanism and still ended up with the same result. The saddest thing is that I am paying for a car for the past three months and not getting the chance to enjoy it. Along with the poorly operating, and limited featured Nissan connect app, I am not impressed with the lack of attention paid to the fine details. I am attempting to spear on others to speak up on the door freeze issue in order to speed up a recall.
Old 01-09-2016 | 08:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Were are having the same issue rsnook. even though they swapped some defective parts on my door, the temperature is a lot warmer now and that may be why its working again. I have a feeling when it gets down to 10 to 15 degrees again this will happen again. If it does happen again I will let you know. Its a tight squeeze climbing over the middle console to get out the passenger door, and quite embarrassing. I got my car Oct 29th and my Nissan connect services still don't work. Il be back to the dealership Monday to see what the next step is with that.
Old 01-09-2016 | 12:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks soldierp91x, appreciate your updates. I would advise others to check when your car was made on the driver's door post. Mine was made in May, 2016. There might have been a bad batch of door controls or change in supplier. Thanks again.
Old 01-09-2016 | 11:09 PM

Good idea to note the manufacturing date. This may be irrelevant, or it could result in limiting the problem to a short time span, which could help Nissan corporate to narrow the problem to some situation with parts that existed only during that time span.

By checking the small numbers on the bottom of the right end of the window sticker, the very day the car was assembled can be seen.
Old 01-10-2016 | 09:01 AM
Dab

i was stationed up at ft drum for some time so i know about frozen doors, it sounds like you have a condensation issue with your door jam or spacer (rubber seal), meaning when running your car the day or night before your park it for the night you have moisture seeping from the inside of the cabin thru the door, then when you park it for the night that moisture freezes and you can not open the door. Get your rubber seal replaced and check for leaks or cracks. Hope this helps
Old 01-20-2016 | 04:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Same Issue

I brought the car in at my 1st oil change and told them it has happened on the really cold days. They said they couldn't find anything and to bring it to them when it is happening... I used to at least be able to open it from the inside but the past two days every time I get in and out of my car, I've been climbing over the center console. I'll be bringing it back today, and hopefully will have it fixed... Wish me luck.
Old 01-29-2016 | 03:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Omg!

Purchased Platinum in December. Replaced handle still frozen. Just replaced actuator yesterday. We'll see it's 30 degrees. It's ridiculous for this type of $ . For 3 mos out the year to not be able to open drivers door. What's the recourse if they can't fix it???? Nissan Corp is s joke. The last person told me "all car do this" really. I'm sure ill be back at the dealer. Nissan connect is a joke. Serves no purpose. Dealer told my all phones don't work. I have an apple. Again really! Worse purchase of a car to date!

Last edited by Myymaxx; 01-29-2016 at 04:00 AM.
Old 02-19-2016 | 04:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have the same issue. Been to the dealer 3 times, they said it never happened. It probably happens to me at least twice a day. After climbing over the center console, I figured I'd take a video to at least show them I'm not BSing. We'll see what happens. It's really ridiculous.
Old 02-21-2016 | 06:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yea after they replaced the parts I mentioned above, its been a lot warmer weather and nothing to far below freezing. I'm sure I will probably have this problem again when it gets really cold. On the Facebook forum I see a lot more are having this same issue. I would expect a recall of some sort. This is Dangerous.
Old 01-30-2023 | 04:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Angry Still happening on 2022's

Originally Posted by soldierp91x
Yea after they replaced the parts I mentioned above, its been a lot warmer weather and nothing to far below freezing. I'm sure I will probably have this problem again when it gets really cold. On the Facebook forum I see a lot more are having this same issue. I would expect a recall of some sort. This is Dangerous.
Yes this is happening still....I had to crawl in the drivers seat from the passenger door and I'm not a small guy.......grrrrrrrr. Once in drive and stopped again the door will open. This has happened to me about 3 times so I guess I'm heading into the dealer for a resolution.
Old 01-17-2024 | 09:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by soldierp91x
Just wondering if anyone is or had an issue with getting in their car. For the past two mornings "16 degree weather" I could not get in my car through the drivers side door. But I have no issue with any other door. After several attempt 30 plus minutes it opened and once closed it wouldn't let me out. It only seems to do this in the morning. And well it happened again this morning so I'm going to the dealer. Just was wondering if anyone else experienced this issue..

The Door is unlocking and locking it just will not open. And no its not frozen because all the other doors never had and issue.
yes!! It happened to me yesterday!! My car is at dealership for that and the seat warmer is cooling on the seat and heating on the back. Ugh