Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Y pipe installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 11:45 PM

Y pipe installation

Does installing the Y pipe need manifold removal?

I thought it was pretty straight forward, meaning no excessive parts removal. Get under the car, remove the old and fit the new.
about 2 hours labor.
Am I missing something?

This Mech wanted to look at my car to replace the cats. He took a look and said everything's under the engine, it needs a day of work.

Also where can I get California legal Cats. code P420 and P430.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:32 AM

Manifold removal ... No.

California cats ... Parts store or Warpspeedperformance.com
Old 12-20-2016, 10:36 PM

If you can remove your cats, you can clean them with citric acid baths if the ceramic honeycomb is still intact and re-use them. Info is on the internet.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Turbobink
Manifold removal ... No.

California cats ... Parts store or Warpspeedperformance.com
Y pipe has been out of stock at warpspeed.
Any other place?
Old 02-06-2017, 12:45 AM

Found this-
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6594848
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....jsn=__GIP__3__

are these the right parts?

How much labor cost am i looking at.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:32 PM

Those look like the correct parts.

If you are doing it and haven't done anything like this, it could take you maybe half a day. An experienced mechanic with a car hoist and power tools (impact wrench), hour and a half.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Those look like the correct parts.

If you are doing it and haven't done anything like this, it could take you maybe half a day. An experienced mechanic with a car hoist and power tools (impact wrench), hour and a half.
I am not gonna do it. Don't have the right tools.

Mechanics I have spoke to gave me estimates upwards of 1000$. One guy said its gonna cost 1650$.
One guy said he's gonna get a cat from used i30 and no warranties on the cat.
The Search for good mechanic continues....
Old 02-08-2017, 09:32 AM

One thing you need to know (it sounds like you do) is that the car has 3 catalytic converters on it. I am going to assume that your car was built for California emissions.

Two of the cats (the pre-cats) are in the exhaust y-pipe coming from the engine. The third cat is after the y-pipe roughly below where the passenger sits.

Code P0420 is for the bank 1 half of the engine, which is next to the firewall. This pre-cat is built into the y-pipe, so the y-pipe must be replaced.

Code P0430 is for the bank 2 half of the engine, which is next to the radiator. This pre-cat is a separate piece that bolts in between the exhaust manifold and the y-pipe. If you were able to get a Warpspeed y-pipe, this pre-cat would not be replaced by it.

There are no codes for the main catalytic converter that is located after the y-pipe.

If you do decide to get parts from a junk yard car, the exhaust system is the same as the Maxima uses. There are probably more Maximas than Infinities.

The problem you have with mechanics is that they don't like to put parts on cars that the customer has purchased. When the mechanic sells you the parts, they mark-up the price, sometimes even double the price.

There are mechanics that you can hire by the hour. Usually they prefer that you buy the parts. Finding one is difficult, especially a competent one. One place you can find them is on Craigs List, but there are probably more bozos than good guys. Maybe you can finds ads in the free cars for sale newspapers at the grocery stores.

Another possibility is a local trade school. They sometimes take in outside work. The same goes for high school shop programs if you can find one.