Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Airbag question

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 08:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Airbag question

Hello, both my steering wheel and passenger dash airbags were deployed in a recent fender bender. I got replacements, but my questions is if I can just plug them in after taking the battery out for 24 hours? I've read that in a lot of cars you have to replace or reprogram a module or something. If anybody has any insights or info, I would greatly appreciate it. I want to fix this myself if possible.
Thanks!
Old 03-26-2017, 03:57 AM

You first need to verify that the air bag sensor in the bumper that caused the airbags to deploy is good. I'm pretty sure it is a one-time use part and needs to be replaced or the new airbags will deploy immediately. You will also have to replace the seat belt tensioner if the car is a 98 or newer. The newer ones will not lock the belt after an accident.

The actual airbag control module should still be good. Disconnecting the battery cables for 5 minutes or so will reset it.

I would suggest that you go here - http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Infiniti/
select your model (i30 or i35) then select your year, then click on RS.PDF and start reading.

If the future please tell us what year your car is because they are not all the same, there are changes made almost every year.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you for your reply! my car is a 2002 Infiniti i35, sorry forgot to mention that. I inspected it and there is no physical damage. Just some dried coolant from the smashed radiator. Is this a one time use sensor and would you recommend replacing it if there is no physical damage?
Thanks!
Old 03-29-2017, 03:00 PM

The sensor in the bumper is the only one that will cause the steering wheel and dashboard airbags to deploy, so it did operate. The big question is whether the sensor is a one time use sensor. I don't know the answer to that.