Maximas for Sale / Wanted Have a Maxima that you want to sell? Looking for a Maxima? Let the world know about it. Be sure to include your location in the description!

99 Maxima SE-L blk/blk A/T 83K mi. in NYC

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 09:12 AM

99 Maxima SE-L blk/blk A/T 83K mi. in NYC

Good Sunday morning, all.

I have a Maxima that I would like to sell so I can possibly get a newer one myself.

This is a 1999 Maxima SE Limited with approximately 83,400 miles on the clock. It's been in the family since April of 99 and has been driven by my father (initially) and then me (I drive it right now). The car is black on charcoal cloth and has an automatic transmission. The only modification that was ever done to it was a nice Pioneer head unit, which makes a world of difference over the stock one and has an iPod hookup. I probably wouldn't include that head unit with the sale, though, because I would like to transfer it into the new car.

All in all, the car has served us well. We changed the oil every 3,000 miles and used premium gasoline. It also hasn't really been driven a whole lot, since my father only used it on the weekends while he had it. It's only after I started driving it that I put mileage on it. I think 83K is still very low for a 99 model car, though.

There are many negatives about the car, though, so that's why I'm just throwing this out here more as a feeler than anything else.
Here's a list:
- This is a NYC car. It has always been parked on the street and driven on the harsh NYC roads. it has more scratches and dings than I would care to count. Overall, it's in decent physical shape, though.
- There was some minor body work done to it after a parking garage attendant ran it into a pole. I think I still have pictures of the damage somewhere but it was to the driver's side front quarter and it was fixed.
- I was hit (albeit only slightly), while waiting at a red light, by a van. Fortunately, I reacted well and he only caught the very corner of the bumper, scuffed it and chipped the tail light.
- I left the car parked in Manhattan one day properly (read: straight); when I came out a few hours later the car was displaced (it was parked sideways and moved back about a yard). There were a few small scuff marks and the alignment was a little off. I honestly have no idea what happened. It was just really bizarre.
- My father was clipped by a garbage truck a long time ago, leaving a scratch on the bottom of the rear driver's side door.
- My father is a smoker. He hasn't driven the car in a while, though.

- I'm driving on two different front tires - those will need replacing. The spare wheel is in the trunk but the tire is busted.

- Although the car has long been paid off, I don't know where the title is, so we're going to have to request a new one from the DMV.

- The car is having some mechanical problems and I just can't find the time to try to resolve them. It's throwing a CEL and continuously shaking (I can only liken it to hiccuping). It doesn't accelerate properly, especially from a stop.

I've done a few things to try to address this issue but I don't recall off the top of my head what they were. With the schedule that I keep, I just simply don't have the time to try to find a reliable mechanic and try to resolve everything.
It just recently passed the NYS inspection and I had the oil and front brake pads changed.

This probably makes the car sound worse than it is but at least I was thorough.
I'd like to get $3,000 for it if possible. Let me know if that's reasonable.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:55 AM

Offers accepted. I'll post pictures soon.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:36 AM

Need pics
Old 03-14-2008, 01:34 PM

From what it sounds like, $3000 sounds steep for it. But, If you can post pics I can get a more accurate guess.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Please post pics. I'm too interested in this car. Thanks!
Old 03-15-2008, 10:53 AM

If $3K is steep that's fine. I'm curious what I can get for it - that's why I was so descriptive and put down any issues the car has had. I've arranged to take it to a mechanic next Saturday. I'll see what he says and then decide whether I want to spend time and money repairing this car or if I'll just opt to buy another.
The thing that I like about this car is that it's really quite perfect for daily NYC driving and really this should be good for another 50,000 miles but who knows why this happened...

In any case... I'll try to post some pictures this week (I don't have a camera, so I'll need to borrow one) and I'll let you guys know what the mech says next Saturday.

Thanks for the comments.