Maxus Archives Discussions From Past Maxus Meets
View Poll Results: Which type of driving event do you want for Maxus '05?
Road Course
30.91%
Drag Racing
52.73%
Autocross
14.55%
None
1.82%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

What type of Track Event for Maxus?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 05:15 PM
STFU n00b!

What type of Track Event for Maxus?

I'm going to fill this forum with stickies, but it's the only way I know how to do this..

Keep in mind This event will be in addition to the Show & Shine at whatever dealership we end up choosing Since Maxus is planned over the entire weekend, we will likely try to do a driving event on Sunday and do the Show & Shine on Saturday.

Which type of event would you rather do?

The ones that will most likely happen would be:
1. Rent the road course for a day at Motorsport Ranch
2. Do a drag event at Texas Motorplex in Ennis.
3. There is also possibility of setting up an autocross course at one of the local SCCA event sites, but this depends on their scheduling.

UPDATES:

Road Course: The road course will be around $100 per car, and you will get around an hour of track time. I'm in touch with the management at Motorsport Ranch and trying to work out all the details.

Drag Racing: Ennis is closed this weekend to prepare for a Monster Truck race on of the following weekends. There are many 1/8 mile tracks in the area, but no other 1/4 mile tracks.

Auto X: None of the local clubs have an event planned that weekend, and none are willing to help us put one on. so I'm counting Auto X out.

Also keep in mind wear and tear on the cars. Motorsport ranch is pretty hard on tires, and will wear on your brakes, but you get the most track time. there is the chance that you could go off course and break something, although the worst I've ever done is flatspot some tires at that track. As long as you're not stupid, you'll be able to drive your car home with no problems.

Drag racing is... well.. you know.

Auto X is great fun and not too hard on the cars. 99.9% of the people that go to an Auto X can still drive their cars home at the end of the day.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:50 PM
Old Timer

Likely Autocrossing. Lower speeds mean less liklihood of anyone killing themselves. Less car damage, and easy to set up.

David
Old 01-05-2005, 07:08 PM
STFU n00b!

Only easy to set up for the goons putting up cones. get behind the scenes and it's a circus, involving a mountain of paperwork and insurance BS.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had to vote drag racing, simply because it's an easier method of comparison. Don't get me wrong though, auto-x is awesome, and I'd definately be down with that. A road course would be fun, but like you said Matt, there is alot of wear and tear, and I know my brakes are not up to the task.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:20 PM
Oh hi....

Originally Posted by Brad92SE
A road course would be fun, but like you said Matt, there is alot of wear and tear, and I know my brakes are not up to the task.
Not to mention license requirements that few of us meet.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:44 PM
SLOW

I vote for drag racing because I sincerely doubt my car will be ready for the road course by June.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:47 PM
aka UNCDooD

drag racing here. turns scare me. :Wall:
Old 01-05-2005, 08:11 PM
STFU n00b!

Licensing is not an issue for tracks like these. the event will be scheduled as a high performance driver education type event, thus no license required. there will be instructors available to those who need them (pretty much anyone that hasn't been to that particular track before, let alone a road course in general).

The only real requirements are a safe car, a driver that's not stupid, and a helmet.

Honestly, there are more issues with getting an Auto X set up than to get the track rented for a day. we're not sure what's going on at Ennis yet either since they have nothing posted for a schedule, but I'm sure there will be something there that we could participate in as a group.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:16 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I vote for drag racing. It's simple and easy to schedule especially if we go on a test-n-tune night. I'll have to hang out in the shadows though because I'll have a G35.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:34 PM
aka UNCDooD

If its drag racing involved I'd be willing to represent a company on the track.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:39 PM
STFU n00b!

Usually transponders aren't a problem, just don't expect to be able to call up State Farm and file a claim when you're participating in a timed event and roll your car in the dirt.
Actually, MSR is a VERY safe track. I've seen several people go off and never do damage to the cars, as long as they don't try to play hero and pull back onto the track while they're sideways at 80mph!

As for actually renting transponders and such, I'm not sure. I'll have to contact them about it, which I'll definitely do if we determine we'd like to do the event there.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:02 AM
Unsuccesful STL Coordinator

Drag.......
Old 01-06-2005, 09:06 AM
Unsuccesful STL Coordinator

This was an opinion poll right Topelement? That is what people are expressing here. Let it be.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:33 AM
STFU n00b!

I'm hoping for a road course event myself since it's the most structured event and you get WAY WAY more track time- but the two big problems are cost and people's apprehension to putting their car on a track.

I also realize that majority rules and I'm trying to make an event that will please the most people for this, so we'll have to see what the options are. I called the drag strip and the road course and left messages with both event coordinators.

Ennis should be open for regular head-to-head racing, but I've heard of 4-5 hour waits in the staging lanes and you're lucky to get two runs in a night.. There's the possibility of renting the track as a group for the entire evening, but it's going to be $$$$$.

MSR has proposed one of their "Club Days" at the track, which includes two classroom sessions, two 15 minute lead/follow sessions on the track, and two open run sessions on the track, for a total of AT LEAST one hour of track time. Cars will be broken up into at least two run groups based on experience/speed/ability. Cost will be $95 per car for the day and helmet rentals are available for $10 if needed. The track does these events quite often with all kinds of car clubs, so they're designed with the most safety in mind and to be beginner-friendly. They also limit the track time to 15-20 minute sessions at a time so that the beginner doesn't overheat the car and wreck it- giving you the greatest chance of driving your car home from the event.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
Ennis should be open for regular head-to-head racing, but I've heard of 4-5 hour waits in the staging lanes and you're lucky to get two runs in a night.. There's the possibility of renting the track as a group for the entire evening, but it's going to be $$$$$.
If this is the case, I would rather not do the drag racing. It would be really frustrating to have to wait that long to get only a few runs in, especially if you messed up one of them. If renting the track is a possibility, I think that would be the best option, even if its more costly.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:12 PM
aka UNCDooD

we can get everyone to pitch in on the cost of renting the track. i'm game.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:44 PM
STFU n00b!

I'm waiting on a response from the dragstrip on that stuff.. it will be next week before I know anything on that. usually renting the track runs $3000-6000, and for 50 people to drag (a high estimate here), that means $60-120 per person for drag racing..

So we'll see what the track says and we'll go from there.
Heck, if they won't close the track for us, everyone could just go there on their own and run if you want, then the group as a whole could still do the road course event.
(BTW, everyone is welcome to come to the road course to hang out, but only paid drivers will be let on the track).
Old 01-06-2005, 04:02 PM
SLOW

Well I'd definately be up for a track day at MSR, the wildcard for me is if I can get this car set up to not be a pig around the track in 6 months, I lost all my handling mods when my other car was wrecked so I'm starting from scratch in that department, and whether the car is up to the thorough thrashing a day at the track gives it, reliability-wise. I'm a little apprehensive to run a car hard that far from home. Of course if something goes wrong at least there will be a bunch of Max owners around to help fix it lol.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:12 PM
Kevlo for President

Drag racing, I don't trust my driving in other stuff.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:15 PM
SLOW

Well in my mind, drag racing has the highest probability of breaking something, but it's pretty hard to crash while drag racing.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:32 PM
STFU n00b!

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
Well I'd definately be up for a track day at MSR, the wildcard for me is if I can get this car set up to not be a pig around the track in 6 months, I lost all my handling mods when my other car was wrecked so I'm starting from scratch in that department, and whether the car is up to the thorough thrashing a day at the track gives it, reliability-wise. I'm a little apprehensive to run a car hard that far from home. Of course if something goes wrong at least there will be a bunch of Max owners around to help fix it lol.
don't worry.. the BlehmCo shop is only three hours from the track, and I always carry enough tools with me to rip apart the engine.

Honestly, you shouldn't have a problem at the track unless you beat the bejeezus out of your car. you don't HAVE to shift hard and you don't HAVE to dump the clutch and you don't HAVE to drive at 100%. in fact I only recommend driving at max 85% in a street car out there. that way you're pretty assured a reliable drive home.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:59 PM
SLOW

don't worry.. the BlehmCo shop is only three hours from the track, and I always carry enough tools with me to rip apart the engine.

Honestly, you shouldn't have a problem at the track unless you beat the bejeezus out of your car. you don't HAVE to shift hard and you don't HAVE to dump the clutch and you don't HAVE to drive at 100%. in fact I only recommend driving at max 85% in a street car out there. that way you're pretty assured a reliable drive home.

I have a rare syndrome that causes an inability to drive at anything less than 100% on the track. It's contagious too so you better watch out! Haha jk I've gone to the track and not gone 100% before, when my tires weren't up to the task, in the rain, etc, but I hate to come to a big max gathering and not give it my all. But maybe that is just what I'll do, it would be the smart thing to do of course.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:02 PM
SLOW

Oh and one more thing, for those that haven't ever experienced driving on a road course, it IS the most fun you can have in your car without a female. I far prefer it to drag racing, even though I do much more drag racing than lapping, because drag racing is more accessible, cheaper, and easier on the car (except maybe for hard launches on slicks with a high powered car). But I guarantee you will have a good time hot lapping. It's pretty unbelievable the rush you get from it.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:59 PM
STFU n00b!

Exactly what he said.. As long as you keep your wits about you, you're not going to have any issues. and if your car is capable of making the trip halfway across the country without blowing up, you can drive it on the track for an hour without problems.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:09 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

I don't have any experience on a road course or auto-x, but I'd give either a shot. And I've only dragged a couple times.

Really, whatever is decided would be good with me.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:31 AM
brotherhood of tq

i havent tried anything but autocrox n i must say that i loved it. but i chose drag because after each lap of a track i would get more n more brave until i push my car to far and break/wear something out and be stuck in the middle of texas with no ride home.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:08 PM
aka UNCDooD

if the event ends up being drag racing my car might end up getting trailered to and from Texas.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:10 PM

Neal informed me of this event and I would be down considering that a lapping day is involved. I would highly advise against any type of timing. Different driving levels should be setup for each session. In any event, as long as you don't do something stupid or have a mechanical failure, it should be relatively safe. I have run of the track before and as long as you don't fight it, you will be fine. Also, could I come in a non Nissan car? I ordered an 05' Mustang GT and would like to take it out on the track.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:17 PM
STFU n00b!

I don't see a problem letting .org members drive a non-Nissan, but I'd rather not let this open to anyone right now. Try to keep it at least within .org for now. If we run into problems later filling the required people for the event, then open it up to other Nissan clubs or so. I know of lots of local Z enthusiasts that would be interested in going. Let's deal with that part when the time gets closer.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:37 PM

I vote drag racing simply because I love drag racing... I've run on a road course before and it was fun and all but I don't feel like running my car at the limit for an hour straight... Good thing my dad lives in Dallas... If anything really bad happens, he can bail me out.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:42 PM

Is Ennis 1/4 or 1/8?
Old 01-09-2005, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by KLoWnPR109
Is Ennis 1/4 or 1/8?
It's a 1/4 mile track
Old 01-10-2005, 08:19 AM
STFU n00b!

Paul, you don't know about Ennis?
It's one of the faster 1/4 strips in the country.. one of the big NHRA stops every year.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:38 AM

Paul, you don't know about Ennis?
It's one of the faster 1/4 strips in the country.. one of the big NHRA stops every year.
Well, when I'm at school, SAR is 30 minutes away. When I'm at home, Hallsville is only 10 minutes away
Old 01-12-2005, 05:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

whatever the event may be, make damn sure to organize it well, and take deposits to keep all these fockers from flaking like usual!

<--
Old 01-12-2005, 05:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

^ Listen to da masta

Whatever you do, don't allow any inferior Nissan's to this event.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:35 PM
STFU n00b!

Yup.. that's in the plan on anything that's going to require funds up front. if we're just showing up at the dragstrip one night I'm not going to worry about it, but if we're going to rent out MSR for the day, I'll have payments up front well before the event.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:22 AM

I vote for drag strip. I know my car wont be that exciting going down the strip, but there's always a first. Either way this goes Im game.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:10 PM
STFU n00b!

Well, the dragstrip is out.
I called TX Motorplex a few days ago, and the track is shutting down on June 5th or so and loading dirt all over it for a monster truck event on June 17-20.

Motorsport ranch is goign to be open the whole weekend, and I'm waiting on an email back from the track owner for exact rates and policies. I was told it would be $95 per person with a 20 car minimum, but I'm waiting on confirmation from the owner before I do all the details.

I've also emailed the local SCCA chapter's events coordintor and the PR chairperson asking about an auto X...

so we'll see.. but count drag racing out at this point.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:04 PM
Kevlo for President

I da know if I will able be able to afford that. Any other drag strips in the area?

Quick Reply: What type of Track Event for Maxus?