Maxus Archives Discussions From Past Maxus Meets

Autocross event at MIR!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 08:39 AM
Redlinemax Owner

Autocross event at MIR!!!!

Guys, I just got off the phone with the people at MIR they may be able to set up an autocross event for us at MIR at a cost. the only thing we need to know right now however is how big a space we need. You guys know better than me so let me know what you guys will need for this to happen
Old 12-18-2008, 08:56 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Now that would be AWESOME! It would bring in a completely different breed of Maxima enthusiast!

It really depends on what MIR is willing to do. I wouldn't imagine that they would charge any more than the normal $30 driver fee. But we can keep those fees separate. AutoX and Drag Racing will be two different driver fees.

If MIR doesn't have the cones, timing equipment, and personnel to pick up cones all day, then we will probably have to arrange something with SCCA or something and invite them to attend this event.

Corey, you mentioned you knew the lady that was in charge of your local SCCA. So you can contact her and see what she says.

But, if anybody else on this committee knows about how Autocross events usually function, please step in and offer your two cents. I know Josh, Matt, and Nick know plenty. I know Corey would appreciate all your thoughts before he contacts the SCCA.

Nick, Corey probably needs to know who you talked to with the SCCA and what they said.

Thanks again Corey!
Old 12-18-2008, 09:27 AM
the org...not what it was

Irish also has done a lot of SCCA events and hopefully he can chime in and provide a little direction with how we can go about getting them to come out to our meet.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:29 AM
STFU n00b!

SCCA clubs will often rent their timing equipment and cones for a fee. how much depends on too many factors to mention.

How large is the site? you need a pretty good chunk of pavement for an auto x course, but size is relative to what's available. you can design a course to fit in anything- making it safe, fun, and challenging at the same time is the hard part.

Find out what's available already at MIR and then we'll go from there.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:51 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
SCCA clubs will often rent their timing equipment and cones for a fee. how much depends on too many factors to mention.

How large is the site? you need a pretty good chunk of pavement for an auto x course, but size is relative to what's available. you can design a course to fit in anything- making it safe, fun, and challenging at the same time is the hard part.

Find out what's available already at MIR and then we'll go from there.
Yeah, we need to know how much room SCCA usually needs and how much room MIR is providing.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:56 AM
STFU n00b!

How much room SCCA needs depends on what is available.

you can make a course on just about anything if you know what you've got.

*generally* the nationals courses are around 1000x1500 ft, but you can do on much smaller.

I've seen them done on stuff only 150-200ft wide before, but they'll need to be 1500+ft long to make it any fun.

Edit.. looks like some of the local places are around 500x800 ft and 1000x900 ft.
http://houscca.com/solo/courses.asp
Scroll to the very bottom and you can see blank course maps drawn somewhat to scale for the various facilities in the area.

Last edited by Matt93SE; 12-18-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:45 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Awesome thanks. So now Corey has some ideas what is needed when he talks with MIR again.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:43 PM
Lightly modded

I've been to MIR many times, the parking lot is not really the right size and the pavement is rough and broken. I wouldn't want to auto-x there, not even for free. Tires would be eaten within the first run.
I've been in contact with Craig Garfield at the DC SCCA, and he says his guys are too busy in June to run an event. Aside from the issue of obtaining insurance ($5,000,000), they probably wouldn't even be able to provide timing gear and the guys with the know-how to operate it all.
This is a great idea, but I don't think it's practical.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:50 PM
Redlinemax Owner

look nick you wanted auto cross im working on getting YOU autocross. Your complaining before you have even seen what were being offerred. obviously they have held autocross events before and they have a designated spot that they use for such an event. However even if they havent had an event there before, maybe their planning to pave the entire parking lot before next season, maybe they have people that they work with that have run events before, maybe.... maybe... , maybe you should ask questions before complaining. I mean most of these events are held in school parking lots or shopping centers and your complaining about these people who are professionals in what they do. Remember we have chosen MIR because they are one of the premier tracks on the east coast. Maybe not specifically for autocross but this would not happen anyway if its not done right. WOW

Ok now that I am off of my soap box.

Thanks matt that information is very helpful

Last edited by Redmax; 12-18-2008 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:22 PM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by Redmax
look nick you wanted auto cross im working on getting YOU autocross. Your complaining before you have even seen what were being offerred. obviously they have held autocross events before and they have a designated spot that they use for such an event. However even if they havent had an event there before, maybe their planning to pave the entire parking lot before next season, maybe they have people that they work with that have run events before, maybe.... maybe... , maybe you should ask questions before complaining. I mean most of these events are held in school parking lots or shopping centers and your complaining about these people who are professionals in what they do. Remember we have chosen MIR because they are one of the premier tracks on the east coast. Maybe not specifically for autocross but this would not happen anyway if its not done right. WOW

I'm not complaining; only speaking from experience. If we can get insurance for the event, get timing equipment and get people to deal with cones, it could work. However, that may end up being more expensive than setting something up at Summit Point. If we set up a road course event at Summit Point, I'm sure it would be a big draw for people. See if you can get some diagrams of their lot and how they set up previous autox events.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:33 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
I'm not complaining; only speaking from experience. If we can get insurance for the event, get timing equipment and get people to deal with cones, it could work. However, that may end up being more expensive than setting something up at Summit Point. If we set up a road course event at Summit Point, I'm sure it would be a big draw for people. See if you can get some diagrams of their lot and how they set up previous autox events.
Nick, can you please delete your post in the public forum. It gives the maxima.org members the idea that we are thinking of eliminating the AutoX and Road Course events. We have not made any final decisions here and we are not ready to release that information.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:42 PM
the org...not what it was

I've been to MIR many times, the parking lot is not really the right size and the pavement is rough and broken. I wouldn't want to auto-x there, not even for free. Tires would be eaten within the first run.
I've been in contact with Craig Garfield at the DC SCCA, and he says his guys are too busy in June to run an event. Aside from the issue of obtaining insurance ($5,000,000), they probably wouldn't even be able to provide timing gear and the guys with the know-how to operate it all.
This is a great idea, but I don't think it's practical.
Nick, lets just see what we can come up with first. Corey put it well just now, we need to wait and see what happens, ok?

look nick you wanted auto cross im working on getting you autocross. your complaining before you have even seen what were being offerred. obviously they have held autocross events before and they have a designated spot that they use for such an event. However even if they havent had an event there before, maybe their planning to pave the entire parking lot before next season, maybe they have people that they work with that have run events before, maybe.... maybe... , maybe you should ask questions before complaining. I mean most of these events are held in school parking lots or shopping centers and your complaining about these people who are professionals in what they do. Remember we have chosen MIR because they are one of the premier tracks on the east coast. Maybe not specifically for autocross but this would not happen anyway if its not done right. WOW

Thanks for posting this, you beat me to it.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:34 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

MIR has done tons of repaving fairly recently. When I was there for Jet wars several months back, the large parking areas looked great!!!
Old 12-18-2008, 04:46 PM
Redlinemax Owner

Originally Posted by chernmax
MIR has done tons of repaving fairly recently. When I was there for Jet wars several months back, the large parking areas looked great!!!

Yeah they did a heap of repaving. Remember the new parking lot that we took the photoshoot on. That actually i think would be a perfect spot
Old 12-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
Nick, can you please delete your post in the public forum. It gives the maxima.org members the idea that we are thinking of eliminating the AutoX and Road Course events. We have not made any final decisions here and we are not ready to release that information.
Sorry about that, but it appears as if it was already removed

I'll shut up now.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:08 AM

Yeah they did a heap of repaving. Remember the new parking lot that we took the photoshoot on. That actually i think would be a perfect spot
Yeah or the right side parking/pit area farther down near the track Clock looks pretty open and somewhat safer in case some of these low performance drivers driving their high performance Max spin out!!!
Old 01-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Lightly modded

So what has happened with this? Did you get a diagram/picture of their new lot? Can we get insurance for the lot? Craig Garfield, the SCCA guy I was talking to, said if we don't get insured, we shouldn't hold the event due to the possibility of someone going off course and wrecking their car, or god forbid, another person taking care of cones, timing, etc. What about timing equipment?

The $1500 lot at Summit Point is still "reserved" for us. I really think we should leave this open as an option as long as we can. I know that I would be willing to pay $150 to be able to run on it, and if we got only 10 other people to sign up, we would be covered. This is only of course if the auto-x at MIR doesn't work out, but if it doesn't, I don't think it would be too hard to get 10 enthusiasts to cough up the funds for it.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:15 AM
NWP Engineering.com

After the holidays, we are slowly getting back into the swing of things. I bet things will pick back up on Monday since a lot of people are off work today cause of the new years.

But, Summit is way too far to even consider it as an option. We can't have Maxus separated on two different sides of the state over 100 miles apart.

If the autocross event doesn't happen at MIR, we can still try our best to hold it elsewhere within a 40 mile radius. We'll see.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
After the holidays, we are slowly getting back into the swing of things. I bet things will pick back up on Monday since a lot of people are off work today cause of the new years.

But, Summit is way too far to even consider it as an option. We can't have Maxus separated on two different sides of the state over 100 miles apart.

If the autocross event doesn't happen at MIR, we can still try our best to hold it elsewhere within a 40 mile radius. We'll see.
The thing is we would only need 10 people to make it a successful event. I would drive to it, one of my buddies (4th gen) would also drive, and if Matt comes (crosses fingers) that means we would only need 7 more cars. I know it's a last resort kind of thing, but I hope we can keep it on the table as an option for those not interested in drag racing. It could also double as a scenic drive since the roads going out there are very nice.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Blown

The thing is we would only need 10 people to make it a successful event. I would drive to it, one of my buddies (4th gen) would also drive, and if Matt comes (crosses fingers) that means we would only need 7 more cars. I know it's a last resort kind of thing, but I hope we can keep it on the table as an option for those not interested in drag racing. It could also double as a scenic drive since the roads going out there are very nice.
So are you saying that we could run an autocross at Summit Point for $150 each? Or are you saying we get to drive on one of their road courses for $150? If it's an actual road course then I may be interested, but I think you are going to be hard pressed to find people to pay that much to auto cross when auto cross normally cost well under $50.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:31 PM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by cardana24
So are you saying that we could run an autocross at Summit Point for $150 each? Or are you saying we get to drive on one of their road courses for $150? If it's an actual road course then I may be interested, but I think you are going to be hard pressed to find people to pay that much to auto cross when auto cross normally cost well under $50.
Their normal road course is $4000/day. 40 cars x $100 and we're good. Shoot, 20 cars, $200 could even work.

What I'm talking about is a new area they've designed. It's a 1/4 mile long and can be configured in almost infinite variations. It's so much better than a regular auto-x course it's not even funny. $1500/day for this is awesome!

I've driven on the road course we can rent for $4000, it by the looks of it, this new course will be a lot more fun than their road course!!
Old 01-08-2009, 05:31 PM
Lightly modded

Any word about timing equipment and insurance Corey?
Old 01-08-2009, 08:26 PM

Their normal road course is $4000/day. 40 cars x $100 and we're good. Shoot, 20 cars, $200 could even work.

What I'm talking about is a new area they've designed. It's a 1/4 mile long and can be configured in almost infinite variations. It's so much better than a regular auto-x course it's not even funny. $1500/day for this is awesome!

I've driven on the road course we can rent for $4000, it by the looks of it, this new course will be a lot more fun than their road course!!
peoples brakes are going to suffer, I can already hear the squeling of shot brakes. If we bring a couple of cheap back-up brake pads & fluid for some of the people who toast their brakes. Dont announce this thou or everybody is going to be out there toasting there brakes thinking they will have a back up.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:04 AM
Lightly modded

Any updates?
Old 01-12-2009, 12:08 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Any updates?
Just talked with Corey. He is going down to MIR tomorrow morning to finalize everything. It's about 1.5 hours from his house, so it's not an easy thing for him. So, we can't go public until we have MIR finalized.

I'm sure he will discuss the entire event with them as far as the AutoX, rain dates, car shows, etc. I will talk with him tomorrow to see how things went. I'll be sure to fill everyone in as soon as I have any information.

Thanks.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:04 PM
retired moderator

I talked to Corey as well. By the lot size he told me, it is unlikely an autocross can be setup at MIR. I started a thread about this question in the subaru motorsports section on NASIOC, since alot of the guys in there have experience. And the few comments I've gotten do not look promising for MIR as a safe (or fun) venue for autocross...

I also checked out the layout on Google Earth satellite view and even if we had the ENTIRE paddock lot (which we won't), it would be seriously pushing the limits of even the smallest autocrosses out there.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1678228

Nick, as to Summit's new autocross paddock...I know Capitol Driving Club is running there this summer, you might want to touch base with Ed Chan or one of the other organizers of CDC and see what the costs are and/or if perhaps we could get in on a CDC event (I'm a member, so I will probably be at a few of the events). I haven't been up to Summit recently though.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:15 PM

I say drop autocross and call it a day!!!
Old 01-16-2009, 03:39 AM
Redlinemax Owner

yeah i have a meeting there monday at 11
Old 01-16-2009, 02:58 PM
Lightly modded

Well, I still have the lot at Summit Point "reserved" for us. I think we could get enough people interested to make it work, but if the consensus is that we don't want to have events that far apart, then so be it
Old 01-16-2009, 09:44 PM
retired moderator

Nick, what again was the total expenses for Summit? Do they include setup/staffing for the event, timing equipment, cones, etc in the price?
Old 01-17-2009, 06:15 AM
Redlinemax Owner

Originally Posted by irish44j
I personally would show at Summit for an autocross rather than MIR for drag. If we just need people to fill out the space I'm sure i could round up non-maxima peope if all the maxima people bail. Subaru guys are always looking for events...and I can hit SCCA and Crossroad forums as well.

That said, I would love to see alot of maximas out to run at Summit.

I'm thinking it will depend alot on cost vs. MIR....

Yeah but Josh the issue with that is that summit is a hour and a half away from the hotel, and summit meet would be during the main event day of Maxus. So that wouldnt be a Maxus event , it would be a seperate meet totally. Why dont we just throw a big DC meet at Summit Point, Which we can plan for anytime.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:35 AM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by irish44j
Nick, what again was the total expenses for Summit? Do they include setup/staffing for the event, timing equipment, cones, etc in the price?
Te cost of the new awesome course is $1500/day plus some $600 for insurance. I don't think they provide course workers or timing equipment, but I can talk to the guy and ask.

The cost of the road course is $4000 plus money for insurance. I've run before on the road course and for our cars, it's really not all that fun. The auto-x course looks to be 100x more fun and is cheaper to boot.

I know SP is a drive from Waldorf, but it could double as the scenic cruise for those that go. If MIR isn't going to work out, which it looks like it won't, I really think having the option of SP would make Maxus appealing to a wider range of drivers, and it gives people a reason to come out if they know they get to make nearly unlimited runs on an awesome auto-x course.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:53 PM
Redlinemax Owner

Te cost of the new awesome course is $1500/day plus some $600 for insurance. I don't think they provide course workers or timing equipment, but I can talk to the guy and ask.

The cost of the road course is $4000 plus money for insurance. I've run before on the road course and for our cars, it's really not all that fun. The auto-x course looks to be 100x more fun and is cheaper to boot.

I know SP is a drive from Waldorf, but it could double as the scenic cruise for those that go. If MIR isn't going to work out, which it looks like it won't, I really think having the option of SP would make Maxus appealing to a wider range of drivers, and it gives people a reason to come out if they know they get to make nearly unlimited runs on an awesome auto-x course.

But if a guy drives 10 hrs from atlanta to waldorf, do you think he would want to make a drive an hour and a half away from everything else to autocross? not being a d!ck just asking the right questions. If people were staying an extra day i think this would be a whole lot more viable
Old 01-17-2009, 06:08 PM

If it doubles as a scenic cruise then someone else is going to have to coordinate it since I don't feel like driving an 1-1/2hr to summit and watch something that clearly has low interest for MAXUS. If something can be worked out at MIR then I'm all for it but IMO this Summit idea just needs to be voted down and we can coordinate another dedicated auto-cross at summit another time.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:50 PM
Lightly modded

But if a guy drives 10 hrs from atlanta to waldorf, do you think he would want to make a drive an hour and a half away from everything else to autocross? not being a d!ck just asking the right questions. If people were staying an extra day i think this would be a whole lot more viable
Personally, if I drove 10 hours, another hour probably wouldn't be that big of a deal, but I can certainly understand why some people would feel differently. I'm just thinking that for the people that don't have an interest in drag racing, driving an hour to have fun on a real cool course would be a viable alternative.

Chris- I would step up and setup the scenic cruise, you don't have to worry about that. I know the interest for auto-x/road racing isn't as high as drag racing, but from the public poll it looked like close to 1/3 of the people were interested in some sort of auto-x, and that should be more than enough to get a few people together to go out and use SP. I really don't think 1/3 of the voters qualifies as low interest.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:59 PM
Redlinemax Owner

Actually Josh, Chris is right the issue is not about the fun of Autocross or how dangerous on sport is versus the other, its a matter of Logistics, if you guys lead people an hour and a half away from the event, then they essentially are no longer part of the event. Lets say the Autocross event cont be held at MIR, even if we could have it in the Waldorf area it would be great because that area is where the event is being held.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:00 PM
Redlinemax Owner

Originally Posted by chernmax
LOL, do that soft delete now and take out everything including me disagreeing with the autocross, I'm good with it and stop being a meanie!!!
Haha but i already saw the posts and it was entertaining to me!!!
Old 01-18-2009, 06:05 PM
retired moderator

Actually Josh, Chris is right the issue is not about the fun of Autocross or how dangerous on sport is versus the other, its a matter of Logistics, if you guys lead people an hour and a half away from the event, then they essentially are no longer part of the event. Lets say the Autocross event cont be held at MIR, even if we could have it in the Waldorf area it would be great because that area is where the event is being held.
Well, I'm not aware of any venues out that way and know jack about Waldorf, so can't help there....
Old 01-18-2009, 06:05 PM
Turbo'd Saab

So they kissed and made up...

If autox happens thats awesome, I'd still want to do it in the Goat as well as and try and take down chern in a drag (try). So what ever happens I'll be happy to be there and just have fun.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:14 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by DaveVQ
So they kissed and made up...

If autox happens thats awesome, I'd still want to do it in the Goat as well as and try and take down chern in a drag (try). So what ever happens I'll be happy to be there and just have fun.
for you I will bring my daughter's bouncy-seat. She's outgrown it but you would probably have alot of fun in it.

Quick Reply: Autocross event at MIR!!!!