Maxus Archives Discussions From Past Maxus Meets

Official Scenic Cruise Planning thread

Old 04-09-2009, 08:44 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Official Scenic Cruise Planning thread

OK now that hotels and BBQ/Awards location has been finalized, I can now put out my proposed scenic cruise route.

I propose the scenic cruise start at 8:30-9am (this also depends on when the picnic/awards ceremony will start at Gilbert Run Park?) leaving from the Waldorf Holiday Inn, 45 St Patrick's Dr, Waldorf MD, 20603 to the Solomon's Island landing. Parking is free at the Solomons and the first leg of the scenic cruise is 39 miles with and estimated drive time of 1 hr.

After about an hours stay in the Solomons we will head out to Gilbert Run Park, 13140 Charles St, Charlotte Hall, MD 20622. This leg of the scenic cruise is 28 miles and takes about 45 minutes.

OK let's hear some feedback???

Last edited by chernmax; 04-10-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:50 PM

This will be a flashers on no speeding cruise because in Southern MD the police will gift you with a nice certification of your speed to take home with you!!!
Old 04-10-2009, 10:48 AM
NWP Engineering.com

I like the Solomon's Island idea. Looks beautiful.

Since there are going to be so many cars participating, to make it simple, I think we could hand out full routing information and exact times of departure from various points on the trip. So that when a group of cars get separated by a stop light or something, the rest of the pack won't need to pull over and wait. I would imagine the participating group of cars will be well over 50 Maximas, maybe even 100. So, I don't see a way to keep them all together. Just pass out the maps and start off together. If they know how to read a map, they will get there.

Also, the majority of the people will blindly follow the leader, even if the leader doesn't know where he's going. So, when the cruise starts, I would recommend to have several people in the pack that know exactly how to get there. These people can be spaced out in the pack every 10 cars or so. If a car ahead of him turns down the wrong road or something, it will be his job to get the rest of the people to follow him.

What do you think? How do you want to organize this?

I foresee the possibility of when the pack gets separated, that the new leader of that separated pack won't know how to read a map and when he turns down the wrong street or something, the rest will just follow him. That's why several people that know where they are going will be evenly spaced in the pack to help correct matters quickly.

Also, when you get to the destination, is there an area that all the Maximas can group together and take photos? I am thinking that a professional photographer taking photos would be great. Also, he can be standing on the side of the road taking shots of every car as they pass by at 15mph or so. Something with a cool background maybe.

Also, we are hoping to get the Park BBQ Meet started around noon I believe. The awards presentation and raffle will probably be a tad later in the afternoon, maybe around 3pm or 4pm. That's after everyone has had several hours to chat, look at cars, and eat. Usually, after the prizes and awards have been given away, people just leave. So we need that late in the day, but not so late that it effects the people that are going home afterwards. 3 or 4pm has always worked great at all the NWP Meets.

But thanks Chris for taking the lead on this! It really helps a lot!

Last edited by Aaron92SE; 04-10-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
I like the Solomon's Island idea. Looks beautiful.

Since there are going to be so many cars participating, to make it simple, I think we could hand out full routing information and exact times of departure from various points on the trip. So that when a group of cars get separated by a stop light or something, the rest of the pack won't need to pull over and wait. I would imagine the participating group of cars will be well over 50 Maxima's, maybe even 100. So, I don't see a way to keep them all together. Just pass out the maps and start off together. If they know how to read a map, they will get there.

Also, the majority of the people will blindly follow the leader, even if the leader doesn't know where he's going. So, when the cruise starts, I would recommend to have several people in the pack that know exactly how to get there. These people can be spaced out in the pack every 10 cars or so. If a car ahead of him turns down the wrong road or something, it will be his job to get the rest of the people to follow him.

What do you think? How do you want to organize this?

I foresee the possibility of when the pack gets separated, that the new leader of that separated pack won't know how to read a map and when he turns down the wrong street or something, the rest will just follow him. That's why several people that know where they are going will be evenly spaced in the pack to help correct matters quickly.

Also, when you get to the destination, is there an area that all the Maxima's can group together and take photos? I am thinking that a professional photographer taking photos would be great. Also, he can be standing on the side of the road taking shots of every car as they pass by at 15mph or so. Something with a cool background maybe.

Also, we are hoping to get the Park BBQ Meet started around noon I believe. The awards presentation and raffle will probably be a tad later in the afternoon, maybe around 3pm or 4pm. That's after everyone has had several hours to chat, look at cars, and eat. Usually, after the prizes and awards have been given away, people just leave. So we need that late in the day, but not so late that it effects the people that are going home afterward. 3 or 4pm has always worked great at all the NWP Meets.

But thanks Chris for taking the lead on this! It really helps a lot!

OK then this should work out good then, I'll bring maps and people with NAVI's can get from me the actual addresses and program where we are going to each way of the cruise. The best part is that this route has very little lights and big pull offs to wait on people. Hopefully once I post the info in the general section I'll solicit for some co-leaders in the event we do get split who are familiar with the area.

I'll have flyer's that will post all the 411 and my cell number for people who may get separated but this route only has 4 turns total (1 is the right out of the Holiday Inn parking lot onto Rt 301, 1 right onto Rt 5/235, 1 left on Rt 4, and 1 right which is the very first exit coming off the bridge into Solomons Is). The goal will be to get everyone back to the Park by 12-12:30. Last since this is Sunday morning traffic should be minimum...
Old 04-10-2009, 01:39 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Yeah. I haven't studied the route a lot yet, but I like that it's simple.

Someone mentioned a Group Photo session and it may be best that it's during the Scenic Cruise event. If there is a spot where everyone can park, people may want to stand in front of their cars while a large photo is being taken. This single event will probably produce the best photos that will sum up MAXUS 09 DC entirely.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:27 PM

Yeah. I haven't studied the route a lot yet, but I like that it's simple.

Someone mentioned a Group Photo session and it may be best that it's during the Scenic Cruise event. If there is a spot where everyone can park, people may want to stand in front of their cars while a large photo is being taken. This single event will probably produce the best photos that will sum up MAXUS 09 DC entirely.
At Solomons their are lots of photo Ops but not for a group photo of cars since it's a water front parking lot. We can definitely get a group shot near the pavilan of the participants but their are areas for groups of cars to get some awesome money shots which I know you should be able to use.

Example:

Last edited by chernmax; 04-10-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Redlinemax Owner

Thanks Chris!!! You are the man!!
Old 04-11-2009, 05:58 AM
Lightly modded

I know that route like the back of my hand, I can be one of the "leaders".........if we want to add a second leg we can head down to Point Lookout, there are some really beautiful places down there along the water.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:44 AM
Redlinemax Owner

we will need people in the middle of the caravan to take charge and get those that are behind them back on track just in case the line gets split. So nick , that would be great of you to be in the middle of the line. I'm thinking we should have a local every 10 or so cars. DCMAX FTW
Old 04-11-2009, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
I know that route like the back of my hand, I can be one of the "leaders".........if we want to add a second leg we can head down to Point Lookout, there are some really beautiful places down there along the water.
Great you're in, I want knowledgeable people of the area. I thought of Point Lookout also but it's a state park (with an entrants fee) and sometimes they are cool with a drive through which I have done many times (at no cost), not sure how they may feel with a caravan going through. My only other concern is time. I'm sure there will be many who will socialize Saturday evening and heading out between 8:30 and 9am will be early for some and if we do the math on the time frame till the BBQ/awards ceremony, time is not on our side especially since my goal is a stopping point for group pictures, rest, bathroom breaks, etc. before we head to Gilbert Run Park.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:21 PM

Aaron, If the scenic cruise information looks good and no problems are noted, let me know when you want me to make threads about it for everyone.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:29 PM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by chernmax
Great you're in, I want knowledgeable people of the area. I thought of Point Lookout also but it's a state park (with an entrants fee) and sometimes they are cool with a drive through which I have done many times (at no cost), not sure how they may feel with a caravan going through. My only other concern is time. I'm sure there will be many who will socialize Saturday evening and heading out between 8:30 and 9am will be early for some and if we do the math on the time frame till the BBQ/awards ceremony, time is not on our side especially since my goal is a stopping point for group pictures, rest, bathroom breaks, etc. before we head to Gilbert Run Park.
Good point. However, I just can't get the picture out of my head of 100+ Maximas along this road in Point Lookout:

Maybe we could contact the park people there and see if we could roll in for a quick photo shoot for no charge....

Last edited by 95maxrider; 04-14-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
Good point. However, I just can't get the picture out of my head of 100+ Maximas along this road in Point Lookout:

Maybe we could contact the park people there and see if we could roll in for a quick photo shoot for no charge....

We could also get the photgraper out in front and get a shot of all the Maxima's coming down off the bridge into Solomons. Money shot!!!
Old 04-15-2009, 08:07 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Aaron, If the scenic cruise information looks good and no problems are noted, let me know when you want me to make threads about it for everyone.
Yeah, everything looks fine by me. It sounds like you have a good game plan. Just plan for 100+ Maximas and know that the caravan will probably get separated at some point in the trip. I trust you though. There is a good write up on NYCMaximas with caravaning tips and rules.

http://forums.nycmaximas.org/showthread.php?t=16800

I think I may have posted that link in another one of your threads. Feel free to read over it and get some ideas.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:27 AM

Yeah, everything looks fine by me. It sounds like you have a good game plan. Just plan for 100+ Maximas and know that the caravan will probably get separated at some point in the trip. I trust you though. There is a good write up on NYCMaximas with caravaning tips and rules.

http://forums.nycmaximas.org/showthread.php?t=16800

I think I may have posted that link in another one of your threads. Feel free to read over it and get some ideas.

OK, I'll work on it this weekend and make a good thread with rules, Route A to B info with detailed directions and map, and the same info for a Route B to C.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:11 AM
NWP Engineering.com

OK, I'll work on it this weekend and make a good thread with rules, Route A to B info with detailed directions and map, and the same info for a Route B to C.
Sounds great! Just as soon as you have all the information compiled, let me know and I will add it to the website.

In the meantime, I will just say that the cruise will be to Soloman's Island.

Last edited by Aaron92SE; 04-17-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:16 PM

Official Scenic Cruise thread has been posted, please let me know if you have any suggestions, recommendations for the thread and I'll modify it accordingly.

http://forums.maxima.org/maxus/58816...uise-info.html
Old 04-22-2009, 08:49 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Chris, I added the Scenic Cruise portion on the website yesterday:

http://www.maxus09.com/Scenic%20Cruise.html

Please let me know if you see any errors or want to make any changes.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:58 PM

Chris, I added the Scenic Cruise portion on the website yesterday:

http://www.maxus09.com/Scenic%20Cruise.html

Please let me know if you see any errors or want to make any changes.

Looks great, sorry working with a new division at my firm as the new training manager and have been really busy lately.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:47 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Looks great, sorry working with a new division at my firm as the new training manager and have been really busy lately.
It's alright. I just wanted to make sure you approved of the Scenic Cruise page. Please let me know if you'd like to make any changes to it.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:52 PM

It's alright. I just wanted to make sure you approved of the Scenic Cruise page. Please let me know if you'd like to make any changes to it.

Aaron, under the rules section on the Maxus09 wedsite. Rule number 7 the number 3 needs to be changed to a 2 because I think you deleted something?
Old 04-30-2009, 11:30 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Aaron, under the rules section on the Maxus09 wedsite. Rule number 7 the number 3 needs to be changed to a 2 because I think you deleted something?
Good catch! Thank you. I deleted your requests for caravan helpers. I figured it was a Maxima.org type request. But if you would like me to add your email address to the website, I can.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:02 PM

Good catch! Thank you. I deleted your requests for caravan helpers. I figured it was a Maxima.org type request. But if you would like me to add your email address to the website, I can.
No that's OK, don't want my private email out there...