Members Rides Post Pictures of your car here. No Maxima? No problem.

LED upgrade (phase 1)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 08:30 PM

LED upgrade (phase 1)

Got some new led products today and was able to get them installed this afternoon. I'll say this now because I know it will be asked..I'm a volunteer firefighter and work full time on an ambulance, it's legal for me to run these lights when responding to a call. These are tomar rect-14 grille lights which have 4 gen III 1 watt leds in each light head. I got a good deal from a buddy of mine I work with who does emergency lighting installs for fire depts and police depts in our area.
These things are bright! I couldn't even get a good night video because all I see is a blue blur. This is only phase 1. I haven't gotten to outfitting the rest of the vehicle yet mostly due to lack of extra funds and the fact that I can't decide on what I want. I will eventually be getting a bar for across the inside of the windshield, something in the rear window and strobes in the front and back light housings. I'll update this post when I get more but I can't promise how soon that will be. Well anyway enough from me I'll let the pics and video do the rest of the talking.

Sorry about the big images and the crappy quality but they were taken with my iPhone.

And finally the video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCxOOTLPy28
Old 06-10-2010, 10:13 PM

you sould try n mount those behind your grille but they dont look bad there

i like the switches
Old 06-10-2010, 10:21 PM

I originally planned on mounting them behind the grille because thats where I had strobes mounted before these. The problem was that the light could only be seen from directly ahead on due to the design of the grille. I wanted to have as much off axis warning from them as I could.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:53 AM
Got Retrofit?

If they can't be seen from behind your grille, mount them in those bumper inserts. They'll look better there.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:06 PM

^^^thats what i was going to say but also ask if there is a height or distance from the ground rule for you to mount light for vehicle that can be used in your situations...
Old 06-11-2010, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
If they can't be seen from behind your grille, mount them in those bumper inserts. They'll look better there.
I was thinking of getting another pair of these lights and if I do that's where they are going to go.

Originally Posted by MaxiNone
^^^thats what i was going to say but also ask if there is a height or distance from the ground rule for you to mount light for vehicle that can be used in your situations...
No there's no height rule but I just don't like them down that low if they are the only ones in the front.

I might try mounting them behind the grille just to see what they look like. The only other thing I thought about was spraying them with niteshades to get them to kind of blend in more with the grille but I'm not sure of doing that because I'd really have no way of reversing it if I were to sell them later on.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:56 PM

Use tint to darken them. If you don't like it you can always remove it.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:23 PM

those are sick...the fact that you can actually use them on the road is sick also
Old 06-12-2010, 04:17 PM

Im not a fan, personally but whatever floats your boat.

Theres this kid at my school with a riced out W203 that got pulled over and ticketed $500 for using the same type of lights on some kid who he was following. The ticket was for impersonating a police officer.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by 99BlackMaxMS

Theres this kid at my school with a riced out W203 that got pulled over and ticketed $500 for using the same type of lights on some kid who he was following. The ticket was for impersonating a police officer.
500 bucks? Surprised they were so lenient. I thought it was a felony to impersonate the five-o.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jay96SE
500 bucks? Surprised they were so lenient. I thought it was a felony to impersonate the five-o.
Yep, I think that they felt bad because he never tried pulling anyone over and actually getting out of the car, he was just using them to get through traffic.

Nonetheless, I think that it is stupid and the money can be well spent on other areas of your car. Thats just my .02
Old 06-13-2010, 12:57 PM

I kinda wish he would have gotten more for that one. Was he emergency services personnel or just someone kid who bought the lights and put them on his car to play around with?

Nonetheless, I think that it is stupid and the money can be well spent on other areas of your car. Thats just my .02
Your opinion is noted and I thank you for being honest.

I did not purchase and install these lights with the intent of impersonating a police officer. I installed them for use when responding to an emergency and for my safety if on the side of the road at the scene of an accident. In PA police vehicles use red/blue or just red lights. Fire chiefs and ambulance captains use red lights and volunteer fire and ems personnel use blue. While using blue lights we cannot go through red lights or anything like that. The blue light is a courtesy light and other motorist are not required to pull over. Pretty much just to say I'm kinda in a hurry to get to an emergency, please let me pass.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by 95arcticpearl
I kinda wish he would have gotten more for that one. Was he emergency services personnel or just someone kid who bought the lights and put them on his car to play around with?

Your opinion is noted and I thank you for being honest.

I did not purchase and install these lights with the intent of impersonating a police officer. I installed them for use when responding to an emergency and for my safety if on the side of the road at the scene of an accident. In PA police vehicles use red/blue or just red lights. Fire chiefs and ambulance captains use red lights and volunteer fire and ems personnel use blue. While using blue lights we cannot go through red lights or anything like that. The blue light is a courtesy light and other motorist are not required to pull over. Pretty much just to say I'm kinda in a hurry to get to an emergency, please let me pass.
No he was just ****ing around and driving through my college campus like a tool.

I didn't realize that you would be using these for emergency situations, I thought that it was more so just for giggles. I retract my previous statement then, if you are indeed going to use the lights for their intended purposes. I just thought that you were going to use them to do something similar to the punk at my school.....sorry to judge so quick. I didn't read the top half of the OP
Old 06-14-2010, 09:00 PM

No he was just ****ing around and driving through my college campus like a tool.

I didn't realize that you would be using these for emergency situations, I thought that it was more so just for giggles. I retract my previous statement then, if you are indeed going to use the lights for their intended purposes. I just thought that you were going to use them to do something similar to the punk at my school.....sorry to judge so quick. I didn't read the top half of the OP
People like that aggravate me because they give a bad name to those of us who actually use them the correct way. I'm glad he got caught. No hard feelings here 99BlackMaxMS. Actually if I had bought these just for giggles then I would have to agree with you that it is stupid and I'm sure I could find lot's of other things to buy for the car.

Yesterday I put a coat of niteshades on them and they blend in alot more with the grille now. Haven't been able to get pics yet but hopefully tomorrow I can get some.