Members Rides Post Pictures of your car here. No Maxima? No problem.

mad tyte Supra

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 06:39 PM

looks like i found another pair of wheels, out of nowhere someone posted 2 more MK1 rims on a local ad. about 45 minutes of a drive but its worth it, if i do get them which is most likely, im sanding all 4 down and painting them black i think

that way i can get off of the 195/70/14 ive got on my steelies now and put 215/60/14 all around
Old 09-10-2011, 05:39 PM

ended up stripping the other 2 rims i already painted as well, didnt prep them before thinking i would never find a pair. painted all 4 today

Old 09-27-2011, 08:32 PM

lol the tranny place completely dropped the bomb, after nearly 2 months they said they cant do nothing. ordered a bunch of MKIII parts after all that somehow, and said pretty much youre on your own. i think the suppliers got mixed up on Celica-Supra vs Supra and figured they meant MKIII

so im just doing a W58 now, i called today and a low mileage JDM W58 from a MKII Celica XX overnighted from Japan is $750, but a guy locally has 2 W58 and he said he could part with one. only thing is no bellhousing, mounts, or crossmember but i can figure that out

so im bombing the W50 lol, i think it'll last until next next summer and i can do the W58 then. until then, its have some fun with the W50 til it blows

U-joints again were not available, so it was $200 for 3 of them from Toyota in California (WTF?), but i guess thats the way it goes

have AE86 stainless steel braided brake lines now too, bought new tires for the rims as well. 215/60/14 is obsolete and the only thing i could get were Mirada, which are a old Yokohama casting. legally they cant be called Yokohama so they sell them under a different name
Old 09-27-2011, 09:21 PM

You can most likely use the bellhousing from the W50. Since most W series bellhousings interchange.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:34 PM

that would work good then lol, probably can snag one of his W58 then, so far it seems the only thing i would possibly have to change is pertaining to the shifter since theres 3 kinds from 1979-1991
Old 09-27-2011, 10:11 PM

The position might be fine for the car. I know the MKII was a little shorter compared to the MKIII shifter position. Nothing too difficult. Just buy the trans already!
Old 09-28-2011, 04:26 PM

looks like i might be getting 2 trannies, a buddies friend got out of Toyotas and he had 2 spare W58 and he said 40 bucks each and i can have them, so i can keep one and with the other one get a rebuild kit for $200 and send it to get rebuilt.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:03 PM

bought a rebuild kit, $240 shipped. has bearings, synchros, seals, etc. just have to send the tranny to get rebuilt then and i can probably swap them out myself, if not i'll do it at work i guess

Toyota is by far the most pleasant dealership to go to, even though i like Nissans vehicles more, everytime ive had to go to Nissan for work to drop off a car or with someone to buy a car, theyve always been grumpy and whatnot. Toyota was awesome about getting the Ujoints and it took only 4 days to get here

also do you know if you have to do wiring with the trannies? i know using a different M engine with a W50 tranny you have to do wiring, but i dont know about using a W58 with a 4M
Old 09-28-2011, 08:56 PM

The only wiring should be for the reverse light switch, which will most likely plug and play.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:29 PM

ah thats not bad at all, wiring scares me lol
Old 10-01-2011, 08:35 PM

my tires should be here Monday, so the new rims will be on Tuesday and i'll be doing the Ujoints hopefully next week. dont think i'll be driving it much longer, already getting cold and it should start to snow in a month or so and i might go to the seasons final meet on the 15th and thats it, then i rip it apart lol

tried hauling on it yesterday and it went nicely to 5000rpm, so when the Ujoints are done i should be able to try close to the redline. have all of my parts bought to install minus the transmissions that are coming in about a week.

still undecided whether to get a winter beater or not because for the brute of winter (Jan/Feb) i go to school and will probably just take the bus. if something alright comes by for cheap i might buy it, wouldnt mind a Nissan Hardbody or old Toyota truck to haul parts with
Old 10-05-2011, 06:17 PM

well good thing i never did the Ujoints myself lol, the guy that did them said they were about as tough to do as it gets. huge difference, no more crazy vibrations allover

weather is getting so miserable that i'll be parking it after Thanksgiving so Tuesday and see if i can find a rusted piece of crap for winter. S13 5spd fits the bill lol
Old 10-08-2011, 05:04 PM

got my 2 W58 sending one for a rebuild in a few months and keeping the other one for a spare

looked around today and the radiator has a pinhole thats sweating coolant, i got it re-cored only in July because it had cracks on the top metal that were leaking, $350 and its sweating already lol. just gonna do 3 coats of JB weld on it, im not taking that radiator out again

washed and waxed one more time, having Thanksgiving tomorrow so Monday i'll take it for one last rip and then start tearing it apart. got compliments on it today from a couple of guys in a Uhaul van lol

Old 10-10-2011, 01:15 AM

Love these classic cars that a lot of people don't see very often. Good catch!
Old 10-10-2011, 10:17 AM

thanks lol

the guy that i got the trannies from is going to do the swap i think, he said working on MKI, II, and III is butter to him and W58 swapping mine would be no problem

todays most likely the last day before i park it unless i decide to go to the final meet next Saturday, depends on the weather i think.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:03 PM

the 2 W58, the one with the pink tag has modified 3.90 speedometer gears, i guess its not hard to change but i dont want to do it so the other one will be getting rebuilt. my W50 bellhousing will fit directly on a W58 so i'll be using it

cars parked for the winter now, sometime this week i'll have to get the rear rotors resurfaced and change out the brake pads, then do the rest of the stuff

JB weld sorta held up, theres still a very light sweat of coolant. just going to sand it down again and do 5 or 6 thin layers.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:24 PM

ballin car at the junkyard, 72 Corona 5spd. had a ton of cool stuff in it, best was KFC napkins from the 70s in it lol. had the paperwork too, first owner sold it in 73 for $2350

found a 81 Celica as well, looks like a Celica Supra but has a 22RE and way less trim. same gauges and dash style though. had paperwork in it as well, including flyers from 1998 lol. found a Alberta map from 1979 in it and took it

also found a MINT '86 Cressida Executive, one of the nicest sedans i have ever been in
Old 10-11-2011, 09:30 PM

headlights are going to get converted from halogen to xenon, the kit should be here this week. the wiring wont be too bad i hope lol. final product looks like this

crappy pic because of the dust in the lens, but i installed a Go-Pro for next summer in it

Old 10-12-2011, 06:58 PM

Nice..
Old 10-13-2011, 08:36 PM

got my tranny rebuild kit today, started to do some engine work too. might start on the brakes this weekend

decided to get a winter car, just a piece of crap for $1000ish. kinda hoping to find a rusty S13, AE86, or FC but not picky. i'll see what comes up lol
Old 10-14-2011, 08:31 PM

headlights came today, got the right side done and tomorrow i'll do the left side. wiring doesnt look too bad so i'll attempt it myself

kinda missed out on a good winter car, 1992 Mitsubishi Mirage with 180,000km on it, new tires, brakes, battery, timing belt, etc. for $1000. no rust either, only time i could have went to see it is earlier today and they were late talking to me and someone already is willing to go $1050 so there goes that lol
Old 10-15-2011, 07:05 PM

finished getting the headlights in, didnt try wiring them yet. went ahead with some engine work, worst was doing the spark plug wires, rotor, distributor cap, etc. it looked like somebody put the stupid rubber cap cover backwards over the cap and you couldnt get it off without taking the wires off and of course then theyre all over the place and you dont know which goes where. gauged it another way and got it all done and it thankfully started lol
Old 10-19-2011, 06:51 PM

bought something for winter, a 1988 Nissan KingCab 5spd. just going to be way handier to have my own truck to haul parts, and something i can drive all winter and in the rain during summer. like most the only thing is it has body rust, but the Z24 engine is solid
Old 11-16-2011, 05:00 PM

Supras all put away under the car cover its goes out again early next year to do the final things (wire up the headlights, struts, maybe dual exhaust, etc) but its sitting until then. next spring im just gonna topoff the tranny fluid and go to the raceway and get some runs until the tranny blows then swap in the W58. been checking what its worth incase i sell it (doubtful) but apparently collectors are after January 1979 build date MK1 and theres very few left

after the engine work

tranny still pizzing gear oil

mad JDM truck

trucks a long story, someone dumped it at his friends farm 4 years ago and the government says it was last registered in another province when i KNOW its a Alberta vehicle and my paperwork shows it but they said government computer>my paperwork bug off. had to jump through hoops to get it legal that not many people would do lol. awesome truck though and so far its awesome in winter

Last edited by chrome91; 11-16-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:04 PM

took the car cover off yesterday, not much work left to do on it. put the tires on my rims, still want some rims with moar dish though and maybe run 235's. got some parts a while ago from Japan too, original Celica XX air filter from 30ish years ago and about a dozen OEM oil filters. have some misc. Celica XX ads and Supra ads coming too before theyre all gone

Old 02-06-2012, 07:20 PM

doin work again, hoping to have everything but the tranny work done by early April so weather dependent i can drive it by May. got alot of practice in vehicle wiring in the last few weeks so the headlights should be done this week

ordered a Mishimoto racing thermostat, opens at 64C versus 90C

bought a sealed-in-box MK1 Supra wall clock, because racecar

finally found rear rotors, shipping for a pair is $90 but at least ive got them, racing rotors FTW

checked into the paperwork as well and its the 4166th MK1 made which is kinda cool
Old 02-08-2012, 12:14 PM

subbin for this...nice car man...There is actually this gen supra near me that has been sitting FOREVER. Same colour and everything...
Old 02-08-2012, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bassbreaker
subbin for this...nice car man...There is actually this gen supra near me that has been sitting FOREVER. Same colour and everything...
seems to be that way with most of them, parked since the 90's. Canadian models are worth alot for parts cars though because 99% of Canadian spec had factory LSD whereas it was just a option in the states

got the thermostat yesterday, took not even 2 days to get here but i guess thats why it was $25 shipping. found some mint OEM center caps on Ebay as well for $65, gonna use them instead of my Corolla ones because these ones bolt in properly

this weekend should be finishing the headlights and fixing one of the tires that keeps going flat, thermostats gonna have to wait because im not going to be able to clean the coolant that dumps out
Old 02-12-2012, 08:50 PM

did w0rk son, bought a parts washer as well on sale. should come in handy when the tranny comes out

hoping the rotors come this week so i can do the brakes on the long weekend. trucks getting misc. stuff finished up as well, primed everything but the roof and just have to fix up some fender rust

Old 02-19-2012, 01:55 PM

no rotors yet, probably next week

test fitted the sheepskin seat covers, just have to install the clips to hold them down. forgot i left a bottle of coke in the backseat and some gum

OEM center caps, gonna have to get the old screws out of my rims though. all are broken off so its going to be drilling most likely to get them out, but the guy gave me all of the new screws i need

Old 03-12-2012, 04:49 PM

getting nice out, only a bit of snow left on the ground. almost Supra time

took off the car cover and started it, first time its been started in over 5 months. started right away on the first crack. let it run for half a hour, changed the oil on both vehicles, couldnt get the filter off and the drain plug gasket was worn and leaking so i bought a new filter wrench because mines at work and a new gasket

Toyota OEM oil filter, bought a case of them. gotta grab whatever Supra/Celica XX parts i can find

got the rotors, still have to do the back brakes

ran it for a bit afterwards, set the clock and other random stuff

and the car cover goes back on, if the weather is good in a couple weeks i should be able to take it for a spin then work on it some more
Old 03-12-2012, 07:31 PM

Geeze, Genuine Toyota Parts and they're made in Thailand

Little off topic, Chrome, but how many 240sx's do you see when you go junkyard raiding? I know the Canadian spec 240's had manual seatbelts, but finding a set is a bish.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dhunterx
Geeze, Genuine Toyota Parts and they're made in Thailand

Little off topic, Chrome, but how many 240sx's do you see when you go junkyard raiding? I know the Canadian spec 240's had manual seatbelts, but finding a set is a bish.
not many, dont know why. the odd one pops up that was a drift **** though. i'll keep a eye out. they get stripped fast, last ones i saw were a S13 coupe and a 180sx and both were down to the shell within a few days

the oil filters are made in Thailand but the OEM Celica XX air filter i bought from Japan was made in Japan. i always thought Mishimoto was made in Japan but its made in China
Old 03-13-2012, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by chrome91
not many, dont know why. the odd one pops up that was a drift **** though. i'll keep a eye out. they get stripped fast, last ones i saw were a S13 coupe and a 180sx and both were down to the shell within a few days

the oil filters are made in Thailand but the OEM Celica XX air filter i bought from Japan was made in Japan. i always thought Mishimoto was made in Japan but its made in China
The radiators? I don't feel so bad buying that CX Racing one now.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:18 PM

i think everything Mishimoto is made in China, i was looking at my thermostat box and it has made in China on it
Old 03-16-2012, 01:37 PM

finally got a chance to take it out, under acceleration its running like a bag of pen0rs. last year i redlined it with no problems, but now in any gear its bucking under gas at 1500-2500 and 3000-redline the worst. idles fine and last thing i did was wires/cap/rotor after i parked it, all which i know were done right

gonna have to investigate a bit, doubt its the injectors because the first owner replaced all 6 a few years ago. or could be that my tranny finally gave out

so the theory is maybe the ignition timing went out, i have no idea how because ive done plenty of tuneups. called Toyota to see if i can get it checked, she didnt know what ignition timing is and i had to explain what it is. they for the most part dont touch it

next theories are the fuel filter is clogged, ive got one i can install. ive seen vehicles with clogged filters and they dont run this crappy. going to re-install the cap and rotor later and see how it goes

Last edited by chrome91; 03-17-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:09 PM

ignition got ruled out, just gonna burn this tank of gas and then put the new fuel filter in. most likely why its bucking

ran better today, took it out for a bit. got some thumbs up and waves as well. also had some dbags floor it beside me trying to show off or race

Old 03-31-2012, 06:31 PM

i dont know whats up with it. a few days ago i took it out and it wouldnt start afterwards, it cranked but wouldnt catch. after 10 minutes it barely started. one time odd thing though but now im paranoid to turn it off anywhere

removed the old fuel filter, they gave me the wrong new one so i had to put the old one back on but i was able to blow through the old one so it wasnt clogged. sometimes it bucks so bad its nearly undriveable like last night, but tonight i went out and it was fine. fresh gas as well

gonna order a fuel filter from Toyota i guess
Old 04-10-2012, 06:45 PM

so after a couple weeks of looking im pretty sure my AFM is bad, pretty much the same thing as a MAF and it has one of the 2 throttle bodies mixed in with it. i took it apart and sprayed MAF cleaner but no difference. Toyota said theyre long discontinued so i have a used one coming from a partout

tried driving it again today, same crap. first 10 minutes of driving its fine and then bam all the sudden bucking, and if i try to dump the clutch it gasps and wants to just stall to 1k. the bucking and not starting that one time leads to the AFM since it has the symptoms of a bad MAF. if not i dunno
Old 06-27-2012, 08:05 PM

so, its still not running

i took it to work last week, ripped apart the fuel pump, left it for the weekend, put the new pump in Monday, and now it wouldnt even start. weak spark, so put a new coil in it and it started. thought that was the problem all along, would make sense because it got worse when it warmed up

still does the bucking and now its got a bad misfire, driving it home i had to give throttle stopping and even then the RPM's fluctuated 1500rpm wildly. in total, thats the AFM, fuel pump, fuel filter, and coil ive tried

so now the only thing i can think of is i maybe got sent a Celica rotor accidentally and thats causing it, if throwing the old rotor in doesnt fix it i dont know. either the computer is bad, distributor is bad, or more unlikely the timing chain skipped a tooth

Quick Reply: mad tyte Supra