Members Rides Post Pictures of your car here. No Maxima? No problem.

My Newish 2002 SE

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 03:48 PM

My Newish 2002 SE

Here is my 2002 that I picked up for $4700. Its only got 109k on it and the previous owner (1st owner) has a decent amount of service records for it. He always ran synthetic oils and premium fuel.

So far I have taken out the stock airbox and threw on the MAF adapter from my 626 and a cone filter. I plan on doing a full CAI but 1st I want to get some sort of better exhaust on it. I do have a Borla Pro XS muffler but its a 2.5" center inlet and outlet and I noticed the stock is an offset inlet.

So As I said in im intro post I do all my own work so these forums seem like they are going to be of great assistance to me. Im used to squirly 4 bangers and not the powerful 3.5l i now have and Im hoping to stay out of trouble with it..lol

Constructive Criticism Welcome.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:05 PM
Got Retrofit?

Not bad!
Old 09-22-2012, 07:19 PM

Nice buy. Cant wait to see future progress. If you want performance make sure the intake manifold spacer kit is on top of your list.

Oh whats up with the steering wheel, looks grey?
Old 09-22-2012, 08:07 PM

I do want performance but not at the sacrifice of MPG! Not sure if the spacer kit helps with that or not.

The wheel is wicked worn and faded. I picking one up in a week or so from nismomaxct . Hes near me, I drive through his town on my ay to work. I also got a trunk lid liner from Maxima_Joe, I cant wait for either of the items.

I also just picked up this stuff tonite

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clarion-CX50...-/251147701174

I also got the double din kit, Antenna adapter, and Wiring harness. ALL on ebay for under $200.

Right now my 2 front door speakers dont work, only the tweeters and rear door speakers. Im hoping its the HU making the fronts not work.

Im also debating whether to put my 12" Sony sub or my 15" Pyle. The 15" requires a HUGE box so I dont think I want to go that route.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:57 PM

Well today I got my first taste of troubles with my car. Out of the blue the MAF just shyt the bed. Right from start up this morning the SES was on and I coasted dow the hill like every morning the when I went to give it gas it just cut right off. Started it up and would bounce off the rev limiter at 2500 RPMs (LIMP MODE). plugged in my ELM and I use Torque on my Droid to do diagnosis. P0102 code twice on there. So I luckily found a MAF from a Salvage yard a few towns over. $104 later its running.

Any idea what could have caused it to just go????? Id like to make sure it doesnt happen again.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:43 PM

^they are fairly common to die. Ive had 2 on my car, and they just seem to randomly crap out
Old 10-30-2012, 07:44 AM

Well done sir! I wouldn't worry too much about the fronts, just replace them when you have the extra funds. I'm kind of partial to MB Quartz and if you look around you can normally find some that are a model year old super cheap. I got my 6 1/2's with crossovers and tweets for like $89 and retail was closer to $300. The interior looks pretty clean except for the wheel but it sounds like you've already got that figured out. If there are any stains may I recommend Scotchgard Oxy, you can pick it up at any Auto Parts Store and it works wonders on old carpet/interior stains, when I got mine I thought my carpets were tan, after some time with that stuff I realized that they're really frost gray! Hahaha! As far as replacing the HU, you're going to lose function of audio controls and trip computer. You can find a fix for the computer on here but the audio controls require an interface that you can pick up for $50-$75 bucks online. Good Luck and Welcome to the Forum!
Old 11-01-2012, 08:31 AM

I had a couple of 6.5" powerbass 2 ways in my basement that I made fit into the plastic ring of the original speakers. The HU went in perfectly and I did lose the wheel controls but I don't really like them anyways. For the trip I grounded the brown and white wire to one of the bottom screws that secure the radio brackets since it screws onto a metal support. I also finished up the intake with spectre pieces and have the filter tucked nicely behind the battery. I added a rear window spoiler, I really like the look but I think on losing MPG with it. Lastly so far I dropped my 15" sub, it only weighted 7 lbs more than my 12" (including box) but sounds soooo much better. Ill get some pics up soon here.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:27 PM

One thing I would like to try and do is to rotate the battery 90 degrees and have the filter tuck even further behind it .... like right behind the headlight, not sure if thats possible without alot of fab work??????

Last edited by CauzinDrama; 11-01-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by CauzinDrama
Well today I got my first taste of troubles with my car. Out of the blue the MAF just shyt the bed. Right from start up this morning the SES was on and I coasted dow the hill like every morning the when I went to give it gas it just cut right off. Started it up and would bounce off the rev limiter at 2500 RPMs (LIMP MODE). plugged in my ELM and I use Torque on my Droid to do diagnosis. P0102 code twice on there. So I luckily found a MAF from a Salvage yard a few towns over. $104 later its running.

Any idea what could have caused it to just go????? Id like to make sure it doesnt happen again.

Glad you got it figured out. True MAFS die but I never had a problem. Did you use an oiled filter?
Old 11-02-2012, 09:37 AM

Yes the air filter is an oiled filter..... and I have a new problem this morning... I was kind of low on gas and I was going around a corner at the car stalled. I pulled over and tried to start it again hey few times hoping the fuel was reaching the sending unit. It didn't start so I went and got 3 gallons of gas now it starts for maybe a second and. sputters and dies . Giving it throttle while trying to get it to run makes no difference. Does this sound like a clogged fuel filter. There is no service engine light
Old 11-03-2012, 03:24 PM

Ok so what I had to do is get more than half a tank of fuel to properly prime the system again. I learned that from the Nissan Dealership near by. but as soon as I got the car running again BAM!!!!! SES light. Code P1102 MAF sensor AGAIN!!!!!.....The mechanic at the garage I had it towed to originally said that my power cable for my amp is running right across the loom the that contains the wires for the MAF is an issue. He says the MAF is SOOOO sensitive that the voltage from the amp cable is being picked up by the sensor......I kinda believe him because the MAF issue has been voltage problems. The first one was low voltage issue and the second one was a high voltage issue...... So do you think it s BS or does that theory hold water.

Oh I ended up buying a brand new MAF from autozone for $290 + tax.....
Old 12-14-2012, 08:53 PM

Ok I had to do something to my car to break up the craziness of the MAF/CPS Issue......Today I did the Fog Light rewire mod.... probably the coolest free mod EVER...lol Was crazy easy and to get the 2 tabs that are on the body side of the relay box I just used a straightened cotter pin. I replaced the fog bulbs with PIAA bulbs and the corner light with an white single LED....thinking I want to do a multiple SMD LED in there.

Last edited by CauzinDrama; 12-14-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:58 AM

Auto one MAF..there's your problem. Geta used OEM one from Maxima Joe or MaxFever
Old 12-15-2012, 07:50 AM

I think I'm going to pursue this p0340 camshaft sensor issuse before I drop more $$ on another MAF... I think it all stems to that
Old 12-18-2012, 01:01 PM

sorry to hear about your MAF issues, but love the car. looking forward to seeing future progress.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:28 PM

Today before it started to snow I redid my Short ram intake with a AEM dryflow air filter and battery rotation. I gotta say I'm not totally impressed with the lack of stiffness the battery tray now has. It seems just a bit wobbly. I might weld in a piece of steel from the frame to the tray at a later date. Heres some pics.

Ive also put on a new 40 Series muffler. 2.25" in and out with a nice oval tip. Ill get some video clips up soon....

Also I know the engine bay need much TLC.....it sucks going to work and get out of work while its dark out!!!!!!!
Old 02-22-2013, 02:55 PM

Did a few more things in the past few month any finally got a few pics.
Heres the Pioneer ACH-3300BT I got on Ebay for $325 with the AVIC-220U Navigation Add-on. Its like new condition.

Heres the 6.5" Pyle Subs I put in my front doors. Gotta say I not disappointed with only paying $10 a piece on Amazon (warehouse outlet).

Heres the NWP VAIS BOP I got from a Member here for $25 SHIPPED!

Next I replaced some of the ****ty spectre plastic intake tubing (that I think was leaking) with a piece of 3" exhaust piping. Not the prettiest yet but I plan on painting it.

Next I replaced all the rear brakes. Rotors, Calipers and pads. EVERYTHING NEW and PAINTED the right way!!!

Now I never got a pic up over the roof spoiler. You can also see the really small winter meats there too.

I also did the ALT and AC belt. Attempted the PS belt but didnt have the patience for it(anyone have any tips on replacing that *****?).
Also did the Oil Cooler coolant pipe....had a nice chunk of ice take that out on my 2 weeks ago.

Next is the Front brakes. I have all the parts for the 6TH BBK upgrade but with these small 16" wheels they wont fit and I really need the snow tires here lately. So come spring when the 17"s go back on the BBK goes on.

IM WELL AWARE OF THE COMPLETE MESS THAT MY CAR IS!!!! I HATE IT, I CANT WAIT FOR THE SNOW TO STOP SO I CAN DETAIL THE SHYT OUTA MY CAR!!!!!

Last edited by CauzinDrama; 02-22-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:41 PM

Ok so what I had to do is get more than half a tank of fuel to properly prime the system again. I learned that from the Nissan Dealership near by. but as soon as I got the car running again BAM!!!!! SES light. Code P1102 MAF sensor AGAIN!!!!!.....The mechanic at the garage I had it towed to originally said that my power cable for my amp is running right across the loom the that contains the wires for the MAF is an issue. He says the MAF is SOOOO sensitive that the voltage from the amp cable is being picked up by the sensor......I kinda believe him because the MAF issue has been voltage problems. The first one was low voltage issue and the second one was a high voltage issue...... So do you think it s BS or does that theory hold water.

Oh I ended up buying a brand new MAF from autozone for $290 + tax.....
Crazy never seen this one before, you could of got a 00-01 Maf sensor for like 110 from Nissan and switched over the Resistor...

But looking good, Good Luck on the Ride ...
Old 02-22-2013, 05:54 PM

Now that I've gotten to know the car better and the way it operates and learned a bit from the forums I'd totally do that instead now. Before I was afraid to do that kinda stuff because the car was so new to me.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:01 PM

Cant wait for the night time... Just installed my HID in the fog lights.... Clearly theres a bit of a differance.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 03-10-2013, 10:27 PM

wrong bulb, or wired wrong.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:33 AM

Sorry forgot to mention passenger side has the PIAA installed, driver side is the new HID. But I will be honest and say I think they are it little too blue for me. I ordered 6000k for the color thinking that would be close to the stock HID color of my headlights..... but when I'm driving down the street they illuminate all cars license plate a pretty blue color...... that happens to be that happens to be the same color as a state police here in. Massachusetts... so what color is closest to our stock headlight color?
Old 03-11-2013, 09:58 AM

so what color is closest to our stock headlight color?
Old 03-11-2013, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
Awesome Thank you!!!
Old 03-11-2013, 01:46 PM

Make sure you are using a velocity stack with that cone filter or you will be losing power.

Go to nwpengineering.com they have a lot of awesome parts for the VQ35.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
Make sure you are using a velocity stack with that cone filter or you will be losing power.

Go to nwpengineering.com they have a lot of awesome parts for the VQ35.
Are you talking about the Intake Mani. spacers?????... Those im planing on getting, just waiting for the overtime to kick in full bore at work. Most likely going to do the Plugs at that point in time.

I gotta say its a **** poor design to have the I/M routed right over the coils and plugs the way they do on our cars..... But thats ok.... just one more reason to do the Spacers!!!!!!
Old 03-11-2013, 01:55 PM

Are you talking about the Intake Mani. spacers?????... Those im planing on getting, just waiting for the overtime to kick in full bore at work. Most likely going to do the Plugs at that point in time.

I gotta say its a **** poor design to have the I/M routed right over the coils and plugs the way they do on our cars..... But thats ok.... just one more reason to do the Spacers!!!!!!
Yes.

Dude you need new wheels too lol.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:18 PM

Yes I know these wheels are hideous..... but I had them waiting around for my last car with winter tires on them already and winter tires are a must. So I just use thesr insteaf of going out and blown 600 dollars on new tires just for the winter. Trust me I can't wait for this spring. I have a 6th gen big brake kit to go on but will not with these wheels on the car. As soon as this spring is upon us the stock 17s and new front brakes go on.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:45 PM

Exhaust Clip!
And newer set of meats

Old 03-23-2013, 02:04 PM

6th Gen BBk installed today. Its awesome to only have to tap the brake pedal to stop now....

Before:

After:

I used Duralast Gold Cmax pads. Hopefully they are good... never used them before but with me driving 30,000 miles a year want a pad with lifetime warranty so I can get free replacements when they are needed.

Also painted the intake tubing to make it look a bit better...

Last edited by CauzinDrama; 03-23-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:46 AM

Decently low miles for that car nice job.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:11 AM
Banned

Green Neons!
Old 03-26-2013, 08:59 AM

Thanks nismo I've managed to get the mileage up to 122, 000 now. And Fast... neons are sooo out. .. lol thats LEDs...I have white in there now tho.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:45 AM

Ok this weekend I got my clear corners installed thanks to picnik99 great deals and fast shipping.

Also got a no name 2 channel amp from property room . com and wired that up to my front door subs. Gotta say sounds almost as good as my 12 Sony sub di. Now I'm just waiting on my new 6 th gen engine cover. I HATE FEDEX

Last edited by CauzinDrama; 04-14-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:53 PM

Ok so heres a quick update. Ive installed NGK Laser Platinum plugs, NWP Phonic Spacers and routed my intake with more 3 inch exhaust tubing. Ive also advanced my timing 2 degrees with much thanks to JwatZ and his great find Car Gauges Pro app for androids. Also got a thin piece of plexiglass and molded it to kind of shield the air filter from the engine bay heat and route the ambient cool air to the filter, this is just an experiment. With all that done and finally getting the idle relearn down and sticking the car has MUCHO *****! I wish I had done a base line dyno and a post MOD dyno. Heres a few new Photos.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Im thinking the only thing left as far as easy bolts on mods go is exhaust and NWP Torque Link. But if I do and exhaust will it require tuning or a vafc unit????
Old 07-27-2013, 11:39 AM

OK so the NWP BBTB is in and I reworked the intake with a 3.5" tube between the MAF and TB....
Old 07-28-2013, 12:05 PM

I'm thinking of doing some exhaust work next..... I got the car inhaling pretty well so now I think I need to get it exhausting better... A little feedback on that would be nice!
Old 08-04-2013, 05:42 PM

how is the throttle response with the intake and nwp bbtb?
Old 08-04-2013, 05:50 PM

Much much better, totally worth every penny..... The mid and high end us were the biggest change is. I've noticed the transmission even shifts faster.

Quick Reply: My Newish 2002 SE