Nitrous Discuss dry, wet, and direct port nitrous setups. How many shots can you handle?

Runing N/A, And Juicing Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 09:30 AM
JET Speed Lab

Runing N/A, And Juicing Questions...

Lets say i am runing the NOS 5124 kit with a 70 shot.

if i go one step colder plugs, and upgrade my fuel pump... will my car run like crap N/A?

also, what else is needed for me to run a 70 shot without worrying that my engine is being damaged? (not talkin about bottle acessary's etc) Do i need a window switch? usually i just flip my arming switch, and when i go WOT it will spray...
Old 12-12-2002, 02:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I dynoed with 1 step colder, reduced gap NGK copper plugs and also the Walbro fuel pump (but I also had a fuel press. regulator to lower the N/A WOT fuel press. back to 43psi) Compared to a prior dyno (stock plugs and stock pump), I lost some power at all RPMS with peak power decreasing by -3.6hp & -9.2tq.

With a high flow pump and no FPR, I'd run rich and probably lose more power not to mention MPG.

I'd say colder plugs and upgraded fuel pump is all that's needed for a safe 70 shot...a RPM switch will guarantee that you won't spray if you hit the fuel cut (esp. if you are manual and like to "power shift") or if you are auto, you won't be spraying when the tranny shifts. Also if you go WOT and spray right off the line, you may get too much wheel spin. Setting the RPM switch higher will help. I have mine set to activate at 3400 and shut off at 6300.
Old 12-12-2002, 04:47 PM
JET Speed Lab

Originally posted by CalsonicSE
I dynoed with 1 step colder, reduced gap NGK copper plugs and also the Walbro fuel pump (but I also had a fuel press. regulator to lower the N/A WOT fuel press. back to 43psi) Compared to a prior dyno (stock plugs and stock pump), I lost some power at all RPMS with peak power decreasing by -3.6hp & -9.2tq.

With a high flow pump and no FPR, I'd run rich and probably lose more power not to mention MPG.

I'd say colder plugs and upgraded fuel pump is all that's needed for a safe 70 shot...a RPM switch will guarantee that you won't spray if you hit the fuel cut (esp. if you are manual and like to "power shift") or if you are auto, you won't be spraying when the tranny shifts. Also if you go WOT and spray right off the line, you may get too much wheel spin. Setting the RPM switch higher will help. I have mine set to activate at 3400 and shut off at 6300.
thanks!
Old 12-12-2002, 09:49 PM

I agree with calsonic. You will need upgraded pump, colder plugs, gauges, an adj. FPR won't hurt, bottle acc. will go a long way too.

Your power loss will be minimal. You won't really feel it. I have 2 step colder plugs and drive the car everyday, I don't notice much as far as power loss once the car warms up. It does make it a little more cold nature in the morning, until it warms up a little then it runs normal.

70 shot is a lot of fun, but you have to tune it right to get the most out of it. It's also the beginning of a double edge sword. This is usually the power level that starts to put you on the finer edge where there is less room for error and also starts to get you really hooked and wanting more.

Enjoy.
Old 12-12-2002, 11:37 PM
JET Speed Lab

Originally posted by JAIMECBR900
You will need upgraded pump, colder plugs
will the fuel economy become noticably worse?

This is usually the power level that starts to put you on the finer edge where there is less room for error and also starts to get you really hooked and wanting more.

Enjoy.
i need more bolt-ons first
Old 12-13-2002, 10:00 AM

Originally posted by ToYLeT902
will the fuel economy become noticably worse?

i need more bolt-ons first
Not really since the fuel pump is still going to be limited by the FPR, be it stock or aftermarket. The bigger pump is needed for volume not pressure. Pressure is going to be controlled by either stock FPR and by-pass, or adj FPR. Colder plugs, even 2 steps like I run, are not all that noticeable. Look at it this way, do you believe ads that claim that you will see a HP increase by simply changing to their plug? It's kinda the same idea, if you don't "gain" much HP from the plugs by themselves, you will also not "loose" much either. The car just acts a little more sluggish during cold starts, until the engine warms up. Then the car runs just like it did with reg. plugs in IMO.

It's a good idea to have some complimentary bolt-ons before you try and step up to the 70+ shot. You can hypothetically run a 100 shot w/o anything but a bigger pump, but you will probably blow something on your first run. It's better to er on the side of caution than crazy.

Trust me though, when you finally have your system close to optimal tuning and you run anything 70 and up.....you will have a hard time wiping the grin off your face for a while.
Old 12-13-2002, 10:11 AM
JET Speed Lab

It's a good idea to have some complimentary bolt-ons before you try and step up to the 70+ shot. You can hypothetically run a 100 shot w/o anything but a bigger pump, but you will probably blow something on your first run. It's better to er on the side of caution than crazy.
i havent tried a 50 shot, i just went straight for a 70 shot, as for complimentary bolt-ons, right now its just a intake and catback, i was supposed to get my ypipe last yr but never got around to it
Old 12-18-2002, 04:44 PM

I'm also thinking about making the jump to N20. 2 questions:

1) What "shot" comes standard with the 5124 kit?

2) If 70 shot is standard for the 5124 kit and you guys say that it's a necessity to run an upgraded fuel pump and 1 step colder plugs, why does the 5124 manual recommend just using both the stock plugs and stock pump?

thanks
Old 12-18-2002, 04:52 PM
JET Speed Lab

Originally posted by DCmax
why does the 5124 manual recommend just using both the stock plugs and stock pump?

thanks
b/c ur not runing juice ALL the time
Old 12-18-2002, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by DCmax
I'm also thinking about making the jump to N20. 2 questions:

1) What "shot" comes standard with the 5124 kit?

2) If 70 shot is standard for the 5124 kit and you guys say that it's a necessity to run an upgraded fuel pump and 1 step colder plugs, why does the 5124 manual recommend just using both the stock plugs and stock pump?

thanks
The 5124 comes with 4 different jet sizes which can be configured several different ways to achieve the desired "shot".

The manual may recommend that, but they also don't take into consideration that we cannot retard our ignition. As for the pump, the reason for bigger one as you step up is due to volume. As the shot size goes up, the demand for fuel gets exponentially greater. The stock pump will support the lower shots, but once it runs out...it runs out and you will run dangerously lean.
Old 12-26-2002, 03:48 AM
RBa

The 5124 comes with 4 different jet sizes which can be configured several different ways to achieve the desired "shot".

The manual may recommend that, but they also don't take into consideration that we cannot retard our ignition. As for the pump, the reason for bigger one as you step up is due to volume. As the shot size goes up, the demand for fuel gets exponentially greater. The stock pump will support the lower shots, but once it runs out...it runs out and you will run dangerously lean.
I wish the sc ppl were this helpful..
Old 12-26-2002, 07:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by RBa

They are.. you just don't ask
Old 12-26-2002, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by RBa

I'm sure some of them are.
Old 12-30-2002, 03:46 AM
RBa