Nitrous Discuss dry, wet, and direct port nitrous setups. How many shots can you handle?

Questions for a noob

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 09:47 PM
Mass_Media™

Questions for a noob

So this up coming spring I think I have made the decision to get nitrous. I thought about getting an ecu flash but I have changed my mind. So i have a couple questions before, im hoping you guys can point me in the right direction. so I will begin:

1. What i am using it for is out at the drags and everyonce in a while to cruise (yea I know illegal) so what would be the best brand and kit for this? I want to run a 50-75 shot
2. I know 70 is about the cut off for a stock fuel pump, is there one that is just a little larger? I don't want to go to big. Also what kind of plugs do I get? I know i need to get ones that run cooler?
3. I was just reading a thread about someone bouncing off the rev limiter and thinking they blew there engine (only read a couple posts so I don't know if he did) and someone else was talking about a window switch or something? Im assuming that is to regulate when the nitrous is turned on? If I wanted mine to only turn on from 4k to 6k rpms could it do that?
4. I know one thing is I want a wet kit, I have heard that the wet kit is better so it doesn't lean the engine out, what all do i need in that? do i need a bottle heater? Purge kit? all of that stuff? I don't want to be cheap with this.
5. Im thinking this is going to cost around 1200 for everything that I need is that about right?

Sorry this will be my first time running nitrous so i want to be safe. Also if it helps any im getting headers and a test pipe in the spring. Thanks guys
Old 11-28-2005, 12:37 AM
Turbo is too much fun!

Ben you coulda pm me with those Q's or do a search lazy azz.... but here goes:

1. With a wet kit, both Zex and NX Express are quality kits. NX could be found on in the stickies for $440 from Nopi while Zex are a little bit more (Roger bought his from SLS for around $650). Both kits will are jetted for 75 shots.
2. 75 shot is the max you wanna go with a stock pump. I don't think/know if Walbro makes a 190 lhp for a 5.5 but if they do, it'll for work great for any amout of shots you'll need, you can also go with a inline fuel pump which activates when you spray (Roger has this). I would say 1 step colder for a 75 shot & below and 2 step colder for anything above that. NGK coppers...
3.Yes bouncing off the rev limiter=, hence its recommended that you use both a WOT and a MSD digital window switch (summitracing), its like $85 and it engages and cuts off the spray at specific rpms settings. That is wat you will need to turn it on an off at 4k/6k.
4. Everything you need comes with the nitrous kit you buy other than the window switch and misc stuff. Wet kits is "safer" because you are spraying both fuel and nitrous in a calculated mist so you wouldn't lean out. With a dry kit, you are just spraying N2O and you would most definitely need to bump up the fuel pressure (hence bigger pump) to compensate for the N2O. The accessories such as bottle warmer, pruge kit, blowdown tube and others can be bought in a kit or separately, its up to u. I would recomend it but not neccessary.
5. With everything, it can be had for less than a $1000. Personally, I spent about $750 and thats everything minus the blowdown tube and purge kit which would only cost me an extra $200.

Let me know if you have any other quesitons or need help with install. Its better to have a local guy you can come to for help.
BTW- no Ecu reflash for you nor advance timing if you do plan to go spray or we'll be putting in a new motor for you instead. Headers and test pipe not necessary but a plus. You should plan on stuff like clutch (don't think you'll need one anytime soon) and bottle filling money while you are at it. Also you still ain't gonna be faster than me
Old 11-28-2005, 04:40 PM
Mass_Media™

Originally Posted by jcy98maxse
Ben you coulda pm me with those Q's or do a search lazy azz.... but here goes:

1. With a wet kit, both Zex and NX Express are quality kits. NX could be found on in the stickies for $440 from Nopi while Zex are a little bit more (Roger bought his from SLS for around $650). Both kits will are jetted for 75 shots.
2. 75 shot is the max you wanna go with a stock pump. I don't think/know if Walbro makes a 190 lhp for a 5.5 but if they do, it'll for work great for any amout of shots you'll need, you can also go with a inline fuel pump which activates when you spray (Roger has this). I would say 1 step colder for a 75 shot & below and 2 step colder for anything above that. NGK coppers...
3.Yes bouncing off the rev limiter=, hence its recommended that you use both a WOT and a MSD digital window switch (summitracing), its like $85 and it engages and cuts off the spray at specific rpms settings. That is wat you will need to turn it on an off at 4k/6k.
4. Everything you need comes with the nitrous kit you buy other than the window switch and misc stuff. Wet kits is "safer" because you are spraying both fuel and nitrous in a calculated mist so you wouldn't lean out. With a dry kit, you are just spraying N2O and you would most definitely need to bump up the fuel pressure (hence bigger pump) to compensate for the N2O. The accessories such as bottle warmer, pruge kit, blowdown tube and others can be bought in a kit or separately, its up to u. I would recomend it but not neccessary.
5. With everything, it can be had for less than a $1000. Personally, I spent about $750 and thats everything minus the blowdown tube and purge kit which would only cost me an extra $200.

Let me know if you have any other quesitons or need help with install. Its better to have a local guy you can come to for help.
BTW- no Ecu reflash for you nor advance timing if you do plan to go spray or we'll be putting in a new motor for you instead. Headers and test pipe not necessary but a plus. You should plan on stuff like clutch (don't think you'll need one anytime soon) and bottle filling money while you are at it. Also you still ain't gonna be faster than me

Thanks justin. Ill pm you if i have anymore questions. Thanks