Nitrous Discuss dry, wet, and direct port nitrous setups. How many shots can you handle?

Is Nitrous street legal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 11:49 PM

Is Nitrous street legal?

In California? I've tried to find out from many different places but keep on getting mixed answers...
I do not plan on doing it to any car anytime soon, it's just been a question that has bothered me for some time now.

(I do have plans for the future though )
Old 02-23-2006, 11:30 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

its not in texes...you can have it in your car, but it can't be hooked up.

i would highly doubt that its legal in california, with as much as they crack down on street racing and as tight as their emissions are. i mean, you don't spray unless you're racing, right?
Old 02-23-2006, 01:10 PM

is street racing legal? noooo. you can have it in your car but if your caught racing and it is hooked up thats another charge to add to the many. but i drive around with mine in the car and have shown some officers and they thought it was neat. the whole time im telling them its a show track car and i only use it on the track they never once said your under arrest lol.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:48 PM

I believe it's illegal because you don't have the proper licences to carry highly pressureized gas. Not because of what it does to your car.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:59 PM

I'm going to the drag strip today; I'll post back
what the local cop saying about it.

A full nitrous bottle will get you a fine for sure though.
You need to get certified and get one of those big signs on your
car that says "non-flamable" and probably a list of safty gear.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:46 PM

I live in cali and this is what I did last year. I bought an adjustable bracket for the bottle so I can take it out in less than 30 seconds. So when I didn't go to the track I left it at home. I took out the nitrous system completly because I dive a lot every month and barely pay the bills. I drive like a grandma and sometimes spend up to $175 a month for gas so I didn't want anymore fuel costs.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:38 PM
El Mas Noob Del Org.

To answer your question on nitrous i personally can tell you its illegal i was a passenger when my friend got pulled over(nothing related to nitrous or racing)and his stupid nitrous gaugue gave the cop probable cause to look for nitrous so he cited him with this ( 24005 VC-Nitrous unlawful equip )and he got sent to the smog referee so to answer your question its illegal when my friend tried telling him it was off it wasnt armed he didnt give a rats ***. If your going to have nitrous do what i did hide your gauges,purge button,arming switch ect. somewhere not visible i know it looks cool but resist the temptation and save alot of trouble later (i have mine hidden in the center console). i have been pulled over and cops dont even suspect a thing. this way you dont ever have to worry about getting caught. hope this answered your question.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:45 PM

Thanks everyone! I had always thought it to be not street legal, but then I saw someone put it in a truck on a TV show and mention something about using it on the street against highschoolers (it was some truck show) and that left me kinda confused. (sigh) Now if only I had enough money to even get a Warpspeed Y-Pipe for my maxima and fixed its oil leak -.-

Also! I now am curious...I've looked everywhere, yet I get mixed answers...do you need a license plate on the front of your car? I only have an empty bracket there with no license in it, so it looks ugly, and would like to take the bracket off if possible.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:11 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Originally Posted by Wolf-Strong
Thanks everyone! I had always thought it to be not street legal, but then I saw someone put it in a truck on a TV show and mention something about using it on the street against highschoolers (it was some truck show) and that left me kinda confused. (sigh) Now if only I had enough money to even get a Warpspeed Y-Pipe for my maxima and fixed its oil leak -.-

Also! I now am curious...I've looked everywhere, yet I get mixed answers...do you need a license plate on the front of your car? I only have an empty bracket there with no license in it, so it looks ugly, and would like to take the bracket off if possible.
Yes you must legally have a license plate on the front in CA. Nitrous is not illegal to have, it is illegal to use on the streets. It violates emissions laws. You can have it in your car, but the bottle must be off and the line cannot be connected. If you get a ticket with the line disconnected you can fight it, since it IS legal for track use. How are you supposed to get the nitrous to the track if not in your car? Don't get caught with it hooked up though, having the switches turned off does not count. Closing this thread before it goes off topic.