Nitrous Discuss dry, wet, and direct port nitrous setups. How many shots can you handle?

Mechanical Nitrous Pressure Gauge, Risky?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 05:11 AM

Mechanical Nitrous Pressure Gauge, Risky?

I would like to know if having a mechanical nitrous pressure gauge (autometer) is risky since the nitrous is going inside the cockpit. Its a huge difference in price between the mechanical and the electrical remote one. Mechanical is about 65, electrical is about 200+. Anyone use either wan, i would like any input thanx.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:36 PM

The burst disk on your bottle will blow way before the guage.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:45 PM

what do you think its the most economical way of riggin up a gauge inside the cockpit? i was thinking of using the same one i have on the bottle, then putting a fitting on the Purge port of the nitrous solonoid and running a line from there to the gauge. wat u think?
Old 08-21-2006, 07:26 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
what do you think its the most economical way of riggin up a gauge inside the cockpit? i was thinking of using the same one i have on the bottle, then putting a fitting on the Purge port of the nitrous solonoid and running a line from there to the gauge. wat u think?

I'm going to hate myself later, but my Personal Opinion:

1. Mechanical N2O gauge inside the cockpit = stupid + pass out = dead.

2. Mechanical fuel pressure gauge inside the cockpit = stupid + fireball = dead.

You can't fix stupid - or dead.

Who says you need a mechanical N2O gauge inside the cockpit? Mount it outside, at the back of the hood, in front of your face. Be creative - and take pictures.

That location works well for my N2O stage 1 and stage 2 and tranny-pressure LEDs. They're just under the lip of the hood. There's room for tubing to pass under the lip of the hood.

Seriously, you guys are more entertaining when alive......
Old 08-21-2006, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by grey99max
I'm going to hate myself later, but my Personal Opinion:

1. Mechanical N2O gauge inside the cockpit = stupid + pass out = dead.

2. Mechanical fuel pressure gauge inside the cockpit = stupid + fireball = dead.

You can't fix stupid - or dead.

Who says you need a mechanical N2O gauge inside the cockpit? Mount it outside, at the back of the hood, in front of your face. Be creative - and take pictures.

That location works well for my N2O stage 1 and stage 2 and tranny-pressure LEDs. They're just under the lip of the hood. There's room for tubing to pass under the lip of the hood.

Seriously, you guys are more entertaining when alive......

Ok ok fine i wont do it!!, can you take pics of the location your refering to plz =).
Old 08-22-2006, 03:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I guess I fall into the #1 category because I have the bottle, gauge etc in the cockpit. The only safety requirement by NHRA and IHRA is for the blowdown tube on the bottle. Most if not all pro drag racers have their bottles in the cockpit.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:20 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by Jime
I guess I fall into the #1 category because I have the bottle, gauge etc in the cockpit. The only safety requirement by NHRA and IHRA is for the blowdown tube on the bottle. Most if not all pro drag racers have their bottles in the cockpit.
Well, like I said above, "I'm going to hate myself later, but my Personal Opinion:......"

Professionals take educated risks based on years of experience. Casual users and racers will not have that background to fall back on, hence the cautions.

OK, I worry too much sometimes - I notice that having grandchilden does that to me. No offense intended.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:38 AM

where u have your bottle mounted? cause it will be dumb if you have the bottle on the trunk and run the gauge all the way to the front. is going to be more money since you have to install a hose to the front + fittings
Old 08-22-2006, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by virgilio7
where u have your bottle mounted? cause it will be dumb if you have the bottle on the trunk and run the gauge all the way to the front. is going to be more money since you have to install a hose to the front + fittings
I have the bottle in the trunk, but i wasnt going to run a new line all the way from the trunk to the cockpit, i was going to get a line from the purge port to the cockpit which is only about 2 feet distance.

Its not going to be as much as buying an actual electrical gauge which cost 160 or more. a line cost about 25, I think what im going to do is mount my bottle where it used to be which was behind my driver seat. Eitherway i do understand where your coming from grey99. I will only do this when I go to the track and i only open the bottle right before my run. so i dont think its unsafe.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:10 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Eitherway i do understand where your coming from grey99. I will only do this when I go to the track and i only open the bottle right before my run. so i dont think its unsafe.

Yeah - remember that nitrous oxide is still used as a general anesthesia in many hospitals, and used to be in general use in dentist offices in many locations. It works quickly, can't be smelled easily, and low concentrations will first make you happy and sleepy and then put you to sleep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrous_oxide

Funny what you learn working in technical areas of health care for 34 years, isn't it? I don't trust the stuff - hence the preaching. I'll stop now. Be careful. Leave a window open.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by grey99max
Yeah - remember that nitrous oxide is still used as a general anesthesia in many hospitals, and used to be in general use in dentist offices in many locations. It works quickly, can't be smelled easily, and low concentrations will first make you happy and sleepy and then put you to sleep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrous_oxide

Funny what you learn working in technical areas of health care for 34 years, isn't it? I don't trust the stuff - hence the preaching. I'll stop now. Be careful. Leave a window open.
Thanx for the advice, and yea i respect Dinitrous Monoxide alot and have done some reading on it, thats why i keep windows open when i am at the track even if its in the trunk, I also check and recheck the bottle ports and sensor for leaks as well. Thanx for your advice though grey99. btw wats ur name lol i always call you grey99.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:05 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Thanx for the advice, and yea i respect Dinitrous Monoxide alot and have done some reading on it, thats why i keep windows open when i am at the track even if its in the trunk, I also check and recheck the bottle ports and sensor for leaks as well. Thanx for your advice though grey99. btw wats ur name lol i always call you grey99.
Most call me Harry - or Grampa, depending on the crowd...
Old 08-22-2006, 06:14 PM

haha, Harry it is, we already got Grampa taken here locally which is Nismology here on the org lol.