Nitrous Discuss dry, wet, and direct port nitrous setups. How many shots can you handle?

drop resistor

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 01:11 PM

drop resistor

So i'm thinking of doing the drop resistor mod, but heres the rub. im bored yesterday on lunch and thinking im just going to unplug the resistor and try it out before i go doing all the wiring and such. but it felt no different than when the resistor is plugged in. I know you have to only cut ONE wire and hook up to the wot switch or toggle but doesnt this effectively just bypass the resistor like i did by unplugging it or does it still send a signal to the line pressure solinoid when the wot switch is activated? anybody?
Old 03-14-2007, 01:28 PM

When you unplug you should definatly feel a difference. And yes its the same as unplugging it. Did you go wot throttle when you unplugged it? If so try driving slow and see wat happens. Also make sure your unpluging the right resister lol.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:43 PM

I agree, you HAVE to feel a difference. like ajcool said, unplug it and drive normal without flooring it. you will probably feel like a truck just rear ended you when it shifts to the next gear lol. if not you probably disconnected something else :-X
Old 03-14-2007, 05:59 PM

ill double check the resistor i unplugged. it was on the drivers shock tower right behind where the factory airbox is. im pretty damn sure that was it. maybe im bieng cynical? how big of a diff is this making?
Old 03-22-2007, 07:29 PM

Jime, where ever you are, I want to thank you for this kick *** mod....

Cheap, easy, and an absolute world of difference w/ the auto tranny....

1, 2, 3.......Launch

Ty you oh so much, Jime!

Old 03-23-2007, 04:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MaximumPower01
Jime, where ever you are, I want to thank you for this kick *** mod....

Cheap, easy, and an absolute world of difference w/ the auto tranny....

1, 2, 3.......Launch

Ty you oh so much, Jime!

Oooohhhh I can feel the love. Actually I can't take credit for discovering it that was Ben, I just put it on a WOT switch and proclaimed the benefits to the disbelievers.

I really does save the trans from additional slipping when WOT and it should last longer. For me its better than a VB mod because I only want it at WOT and I prefer the stock shift for normal driving.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:16 AM

Hey Jime,

Did you ever figure out if there is a mod with the 5spd auto like this. I remember it came up quite some time ago.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:59 PM

AFAIK there is no drop resistor on the 5 spd auto the schematics are void of any reference.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:33 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by Jime
AFAIK there is no drop resistor on the 5 spd auto the schematics are void of any reference.
Jime, for what it's worth, in a Adobe FSM for a 2002 Maxima, in the Automatic Transmission section, there is a reference to a Line Pressure Solenoid that seems to control the transmission internal pressure. Playing with that solenoid might be interesting, kinda like engaging the torque converter clutch when you want to.

There is also a reference to a Line Pressure Solenoid with a "dropping resistor" !! There are two different wire colors shown in the manual, G/R and W/B, along with two references to the solenoid, apparently "without" and "with" a resistor. A wiring diagram also shows the resistor.

? Possibly there are two versions of transmissions in 2002 Maximas ? I know the 2002 Altima 3.5L V6 seems to have a 4-speed transmission very similar to the earlier V6 trannys.

Just for what it's worth.... I'd go for the solenoid wiring, myself. Cut it at the tranny plug, route it to 12 volts ON and OFF, and see what happens - like the TC clutch.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:21 PM

Your correct, in the 5spd autos 04-06 there is no drop resistor. The line pressure is controlled by solenoids. I was wondering if anyone thought of a way to make it shift at full line pressure. It says high pressure is with low current, so I assume artifically applying low current would make it shift faster. I'm not an expert and can't afford a new transmission though.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:50 AM
maxima0001

I have a question about the Micro-Switch (NC) used......

Can you please explain the difference from just removing the drop resistor (or unplugging it), as to putting it on a Micro-Switch?

And can you cause harm to your transmission by NOT using the WOT switch?

(The reason I ask, cause I have had my drop resistor removed for a few days, and have noticed that the RPM range sometimes slows considerably when my auto tranny shifts from 5th to 6th gear)

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

ty

Old 03-26-2007, 06:02 AM
maxima0001

Jime? Anyone?

Please help...

Old 03-26-2007, 10:26 AM
maxima0001

Its ok to leave it disconnected if you aren't driving it, but I don't suggest you turn it off and drive for a day because the part throttle shifts are DEADLY and make for very jerky shifts.

I;ve read alot of info on the org, related to the drop resistor, and found a few related posts to the question(s) i presented above....

Here is the situation:

1.) My car is my dailey driver, and I've had this Drop Resistor unplugged for a few days.........

Can you please explain the difference between running a NC micro-switch, as to just unplugging the resistor?

And what are the benefits/drawbacks of using/not using this switch?

Originally Posted by SkylineGTR
Problem I'm having with the drop resistor, is that at WOT from a stop, the 1-2 shift seems to be delayed when compared to 90% throttle and then WOT @ 5500rpm or so. In the latter situation, the 1-2 shift is very crisp. Couldn't think of anything besides maybe theres more heat generated from going WOT from a stop than letting the revs climb a bit first then going WOT.

2. Since removing the drop resistor altogether, I've had very similar occurences, such as the one described above....

The rpm range on my 01 auto usually flucuates from 2400-6k very quick and smoothly, (when workly properly).............

.however, every once in awhile (20-35% of the time, since removing the resistor) the car seems to bog down, and take VERY LONG to go from 2400-6000, like it usually does

Any reason why this would occur?

(...cause its lacking the micro-switch, I assume??)

Sorry for all the questions, but I desperately could use someones expert opinion, please....

ty in advance!

=)

Old 03-30-2007, 01:14 PM

so im assuming that this mod is not as much a harsher shift like a shift kit or vb mod just gets rid of the lag between shift times?
Old 03-30-2007, 06:07 PM
Turbo 3.5

Originally Posted by maxima0001
I;ve read alot of info on the org, related to the drop resistor, and found a few related posts to the question(s) i presented above....

Here is the situation:

1.) My car is my dailey driver, and I've had this Drop Resistor unplugged for a few days.........

Can you please explain the difference between running a NC micro-switch, as to just unplugging the resistor?

And what are the benefits/drawbacks of using/not using this switch?

2. Since removing the drop resistor altogether, I've had very similar occurences, such as the one described above....

The rpm range on my 01 auto usually flucuates from 2400-6k very quick and smoothly, (when workly properly).............

.however, every once in awhile (20-35% of the time, since removing the resistor) the car seems to bog down, and take VERY LONG to go from 2400-6000, like it usually does

Any reason why this would occur?

(...cause its lacking the micro-switch, I assume??)

Sorry for all the questions, but I desperately could use someones expert opinion, please....

ty in advance!

=)
do not just unplug it less you are at the track and even then you want to drive around in 1st till you are racing

when you install a mirco switch it will only work when the car is at wot like a nitrous switch or you can install and on/off switch and use it only when you plan to go wot
Old 04-01-2007, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by kdaullary
so im assuming that this mod is not as much a harsher shift like a shift kit or vb mod just gets rid of the lag between shift times?
It makes the transmission shift at full line pressure which makes it shift HARD if you are not at WOT. It is also assumed that it is very bad for the trans.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by mazzivart
It makes the transmission shift at full line pressure which makes it shift HARD if you are not at WOT. It is also assumed that it is very bad for the trans.
Assumption is the mother of all F**kups.. Its widely believed to be better for you tranny at WOT when putting down alot of power (Nitrous etc) and potentionally for drag racing.

Micro-switch ensures you are disconnecting the drop resistor only when WOT and not when at partial throttle.. if you shift at partial throttle with no drop resistor your going to be hurting the clutches in your autobox big time
Old 04-01-2007, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by killerVQ30DE
if you shift at partial throttle with no drop resistor your going to be hurting the clutches in your autobox big time
Unless at part throttle your already putting down alot of power (boost at part throttle)
Old 04-01-2007, 09:55 PM

I wish I could find something like this for my Z.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:22 PM
VW = 30 MPG

Originally Posted by t6378tp
do not just unplug it less you are at the track and even then you want to drive around in 1st till you are racing

when you install a mirco switch it will only work when the car is at wot like a nitrous switch or you can install and on/off switch and use it only when you plan to go wot
I agree ... No one would want to use this all the time. I did and it cost me a new trany. I then put it on a switch and use it at the track and once in a while on a launch from a light
Old 04-21-2007, 11:52 AM

I have to ? here. The first one is how Do you install the wot switch. I Have drive by wire on me o3. I Have not ever delt with this before. I am used to the standered micro switch. With no cables or pulley how will this work or are you instaslling them on your gas pedel. If its installed her how hard is it. Second has anybody had any trouble.