Nitrous Discuss dry, wet, and direct port nitrous setups. How many shots can you handle?

dynotune EFI kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 09:02 AM

dynotune EFI kit

hey guys im new to the whole N2O thing and was looking at this kit:
http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...?idproduct=100
If i were to get this is just install and go? sounds like as long as i keep the shot at no more than 50 i can run that setup with stock fuel pump and injectors. with this kit will i have to do any tuning afterwards?

basically i want a very beginner setup, but something that i can add onto as i learn more about it.

also what is the difference between an EFI kit and a wet kit? i didnt really understand that.

ive searched but i sorta want to double check cause i dont want to mess up a n2o kit and blow myself up.
thanks.

Last edited by black_maxed95; 01-31-2008 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:25 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by black_maxed95
hey guys im new to the whole N2O thing

also what is the difference between an EFI kit and a wet kit? i didnt really understand that.
Hummm - looks like, from your mod list, you've got some experience with the Maxima. Good for you.

You will want to use a wet kit. That is a separate line and solenoid for nitrous and fuel, merging at the nozzle. Most "EFI" kits (wet) are supplied with jets for 35, 50, and 75 shot spray.

You will want to change your fuel filter to a 300ZX filter, just in case. A 50-shot doesn't require anything special, but you should ditch any platinum plugs and go to copper-core plugs. Reason is that platinum heats up fast, and you don't want detonation or preignition taking place. The ground strap mostly causes that.

There's lots of threads in this forum about how to cope with higher levels, but a 35-shot or 50-shot is a good place to start - just to learn the fundamentals.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:33 AM

ya i am definately not a maxima noob, but i am a n2o noob.

so that EFI kit is a true wet kit? if i get that kit will i be ready to go after installation provided i change the spark plugs and dont do anything more than a 50 shot? i already have a 300zx fuel filter. i plan to stay using only a 50 shot until i really start to learn more about advanced n2o systems.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:26 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

ya i am definately not a maxima noob, but i am a n2o noob.

so that EFI kit is a true wet kit? if i get that kit will i be ready to go after installation provided i change the spark plugs and dont do anything more than a 50 shot? i already have a 300zx fuel filter. i plan to stay using only a 50 shot until i really start to learn more about advanced n2o systems.
Any kit that has a fuel solenoid and a nitrous solenoid is a wet kit. Look at their pictures and count solenoids. I think you will want a purge solenoid later - that is used to flush out the bubbles that form in the nitrous line. Generally a good thing to have, along with a bottle heater.

There are also dry kits that only spray nitrous, using one solenoid, that require the fuel pressure be raised up a bunch while spraying. Stick with a wet kit.

You can safely go with a 75-shot with a good stock fuel pump - after that, it's time for a better (bigger) pump. If you do like most guys, once you get everything installed and working with a 35-shot (which is always safer to learn on) then you will move up to the 75-shot in about a week. The kick-in-the-back from spraying gets you hooked on nitrous.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:33 PM

thanks alot for the info, sounds like that kit will suit me fine to start with then.

also, are there any draw backs to running n2o with a lightened flywheel and udp?
Old 01-31-2008, 01:39 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

thanks alot for the info, sounds like that kit will suit me fine to start with then.

also, are there any draw backs to running n2o with a lightened flywheel and udp?
Just the fear and panic when you nail the throttle and you hit the rev limiter 'cause your tires keep breaking loose and spinning. No joke.

I run BFG 15/26/10 DRs on the street, and they can't hold the car. You will need better tires. Nitrous is either ON or OFF, so when you spray, you just added 35 or 50 or 75 hp to your wheels. Instantly. Your driving habits will need to change - you'll see...
Old 01-31-2008, 05:15 PM

Yeah Grey is right, you will need to learn lightning fast shifting and/or get very soft tires. At the track in my 3rd gen i experienced the same thing with a 50 shot, once the car hooks it will hit red line before you know it... And i didn't have a UDP or light weight flywheel.

Also, if you plan on running this car at the track, DO NOT hot lap the car! I've heard a few people say the lightweight flywheels will get super hot and the hard shifts will glaze the flywheel and the clutch will start slipping.

my .02
Old 02-04-2008, 08:49 AM

i am going with that same kit instead i have an auto, i guess same thing impies also a drop mod
Old 02-04-2008, 10:36 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
i am going with that same kit instead i have an auto, i guess same thing impies also a drop mod
I've had a variation of the drop-resistor mod for years - and the same transmission as well. Works for me.