Nitrous Discuss dry, wet, and direct port nitrous setups. How many shots can you handle?

nitrous newbie help !!! well not too much of a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 02:31 PM
nycnissans

nitrous newbie help !!! well not too much of a newbie

Well, I have been curious about nitrous for some time now. I have decided to get a small 50 shot wet setup on my car. I am on 1 step colder plugs and will go to 2 steps colder once I put in the spray.(good idea?)

My research took me to ZEX, I like the simplicity of their install with the zex box.
However this is where I want to get creative, I want to start spraying only after out of first gear, I do not want to spray 1st gear and I want to spray only from 3000rpm - 6400.

I know that I can use a window switch to spray from 3000-6400 and probably just arm the system when I shift into second, but will that work? Like will it just come on and start spraying right away after I arm the system going into second? Is the ZEX kit the way to go? I know they say the box tunes according to nitrous pressure and blah blah blah......wtf, Im just getting confused.

BTW, I am SCed and running 12 psi of boost with methanol / water injection also.

Any help is appreciated
Thank You
Old 08-05-2008, 02:58 PM

SC'd....i wish

definitly will want the 2 step colder considering your SC'd. now as far as Zex's goes........some of the reviews i read even on here on the forum weren't the best. with its whole "module" thing. its been a while since i read about Zex's kits. i went with nitrousexpress/dynotune. but whatever you want man. good start with the wet shot though!

here is a link to nitrousexpress modules that will let you start spraying in 2nd gear.. http://nitrousexpress.com/Pages/prog...ontrollers.htm ..

the last "round" gauge is probably what your looking for the most i would imagine. the others have a TON of other options...but up to you.

anyway hopefully some of this will give you a nudge in the right direction... good luck!

btw...sure the engine will handle the 50shot with the SC?....just curious

make sure you talk with grey99max....i'm sure he would have a good idea....he's got like a whole freakin computer running his nitrous

Last edited by one_fast_max; 08-05-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:12 PM
nycnissans

^ aah.....thanks for the info, I did some more research and found this thing too

http://www.compperformancegroupstore...OUSACCESSORIES

I hope the engine can hold it, if now I will have to get into a build.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:02 PM

yeah that's definitely something like what your looking for. have you read any reviews on it? i searched a little and couldn't really find much. but alot of people use Zex...its definitely cheaper than the other ones.

well i know mardigrasmax had a turbo with 10 psi and sprayed some nitrous. i'm not sure how much though. his engine was fine...but tranny had problems. you should be fine starting the spray in 2nd gear. but you know how it goes....when you start messing with stuff it starts to break! haha....learned that one too many times
Old 08-06-2008, 04:27 AM
nycnissans

^ thanks for the help man, looks like the maxima community did not venture too much into the world of the bottle, I read the stickies and saw some nice setups.

After alot of reading I am almost ready to do my setup. Just as a little insurance policy, lol. Now all I have to get is about $700 to buy the zex wet kit and the traction controller box and it should be good from there.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:35 AM

its all good bro. i know i didn't tell you much that you already didn't know but i just tell you want i learned along the way with my nitrous.

props on the reading....its always a good insurance policy!! haha. most if the info is always out there it just takes time to find us.

dude keep us posted on your setup and your progress. i'm interested to see how the traction module works out and the SC with nitrous. take some pics and post them! good luck dude!

Kevin
Old 08-06-2008, 09:39 AM
nycnissans

^ will do Kevin, I have some good rubber on the car now so hopefully the 2nd gear spray will not break them loose. If they do I have some drag radials that I can use.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:19 AM

no slicks?? i was breaking loose with 50 shot and 00vi in second gear...i can't imagine SC'er....

oughta look into some slicks bro.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:54 PM
nycnissans

Originally Posted by one_fast_max
no slicks?? i was breaking loose with 50 shot and 00vi in second gear...i can't imagine SC'er....

oughta look into some slicks bro.

I have BF Goodrich G forces up front and have a set of drag radials too, LSD gearbox helps out too.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:34 PM

ah! those are some good tires. i wanted to get some of those but they don't make the size i need....guess i'll get those when i get some 18'' 350z wheels

good luck with the instal man. when you think it will be ready to spray? have you been drag racing before?...i'm guessing yes
Old 08-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What gap are you running with your spark plugs?
Old 08-06-2008, 03:08 PM
nycnissans

Originally Posted by one_fast_max
ah! those are some good tires. i wanted to get some of those but they don't make the size i need....guess i'll get those when i get some 18'' 350z wheels

good luck with the instal man. when you think it will be ready to spray? have you been drag racing before?...i'm guessing yes
yes the tires are great, should be spraying soon, by the end of the month.

dying to get to a track.....just dont have the time man, but seen my fair share of street action

Originally Posted by SonicDust187
What gap are you running with your spark plugs?
0.036 on the plugs......the meth keeps that detonation in check
Old 08-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Good, I would start with 35 shot and see how the car likes it. Def do 2 step colder plugs.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Turbo 3.5

hey man good luck and do not forget to check out ls1tech.com for the nitrous wiring scheme's
Old 08-07-2008, 04:36 AM
nycnissans

^ will do man, thanks alot for the info.......
Old 08-07-2008, 08:30 PM

good choice with the zex, its so easy to install, ive had it for about 2-3 months now and loving it, you should look into the racer's kit package as well, its got a purge kit, bottle heater, blown down tube (required for drag racing at most strips), and a bottle pressure gauge. if your going to ship it to your house be careful, they kept mine at the post office till i called zex and they called the post office to let them know it was empty.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:17 AM
nycnissans

Originally Posted by allblackmax96
good choice with the zex, its so easy to install, ive had it for about 2-3 months now and loving it, you should look into the racer's kit package as well, its got a purge kit, bottle heater, blown down tube (required for drag racing at most strips), and a bottle pressure gauge. if your going to ship it to your house be careful, they kept mine at the post office till i called zex and they called the post office to let them know it was empty.
good deal....will look into the racer's kit, happy to hear some positive feedback on the ZEX kit.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:45 PM

Old 08-08-2008, 06:29 PM
Turbo 3.5

Originally Posted by secondtonone317
good deal....will look into the racer's kit, happy to hear some positive feedback on the ZEX kit.
the zex bottle warmer suck azz, I had it a sold it and bought a warmer from harris speedworks

the zex warmer works on a preset temp setting and would not get my bottle above 950psi, I would strongly suggest getting a adjustable warmer
Old 08-21-2008, 01:15 AM

I was running a zex kit for a while in my 96 maxima. 55 shot felt amazing in it. I liked the zex kit - it was easy to install and wire up - only took like 12 hours. The only other mods I had were an injen air intake so it was easy to drill into and install the nozzle. Supposedly at a 55 shot a 10lb bottle will last 3minutes about. I'm pretty sure you should be stable up to a 75 shot with them if your motor is in good condition. Anyway, I ran a 15 flat without nitrous (a bunch of other mods) and a 14.3 with the 55 shot. I just kept the nitrous switch off til I hit second then flipped it on the way up from shifting to second then gunned it. It worked for about 30k miles and then the motor blew so be careful.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:30 AM
nycnissans

well I have been reserching and gathering information and prepping for the install and blah blah blah.....here's my question. The jets for lets say a 55 shot is calibrated for stock fuel pressures, with boost and the FMU my fuel pressure shoots (high ~85 psi) up when I hit boost......I guess I need a smaller fuel jet or larger Nitrus jet to compensate for this. Or does the zex box have some sort of fuel pressure regulator in there?
Old 08-23-2008, 12:08 AM
VQ30 DE T

The juice is loose

Im also a nitrous noob.
my 3.slow has gone through over 50lbs of wet 75 shots.
judging by several nitrous dynos you shouid be concerned with the afr.
Aslo be concerned with the flow rate of your pump.This is why I now have a walboro high psi pump. It would be a great idea to purchase a bigger fuel jet just incase you run lean like
I did. DYNOTUNE FTW. Goodluck
Old 08-23-2008, 06:36 AM
Turbo 3.5

well I have been reserching and gathering information and prepping for the install and blah blah blah.....here's my question. The jets for lets say a 55 shot is calibrated for stock fuel pressures, with boost and the FMU my fuel pressure shoots (high ~85 psi) up when I hit boost......I guess I need a smaller fuel jet or larger Nitrus jet to compensate for this. Or does the zex box have some sort of fuel pressure regulator in there?
I would suggest getting both a smaller and larger fuel jet and adjust till your a/f is were it needs to be on spray

you should tap the fuel line for the nitrous right after the fuel filter and before the fmu so you are getting a steady psi no matter what rpm your at

and like stated above make sure you have a good pump that can hold psi and you should be fine

I am pretty sure you have one but if not get a a/f gauge or tune at the dyno
Old 08-26-2008, 02:07 PM
nycnissans

^ thanks, I got a wideband and fuel pressure gauge.....I ditched ZEX, their stuff is too expensive. I went to dynotune and will be looking forward to the install and setup as soon as I figure out which coil I fried on the car......

I been reading up on nitrous and it seems like the people that are having problems are the ones that do not do their homework or the ones that over do it.......I feel that I have a pretty good understanding of how it works to have a successful install.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:39 PM

Have you contacted Cmax? He (as you know) has been running N20 and supercharger for a few years now, and he can help you.
I was following you thread, did you get that J and S? It will help you greatly....
I was running the Nx kit on my white max and I loved it. I picked it up for $350 off the .org with everything including heater, purge, racer kit with blow down tube . So look around the .org.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:29 AM
nycnissans

Well, after tuning my car and juicing all the power I could get which was closer to 400 than my 369 dyno the 3.0 finally gave up. By giving up, I mean the motor held but the weakpoint is the head gasket. To overcome this I will be getting into my winter build early this year and beef up another low mileage 3.0 to handle some serious boost and n20. However I am looking into turbo......hopefully will be turbo + n20 by next year.

build should consist of, cometic head gasket, arp headbolts, pathfinder cams, stiffer springs and retainers......then boost the **** out of that ***** and see how well she holds up.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:06 AM

Nice thread, i too am running Nitrous. I've got a Zex dry 55shot...works awesome. No probs what so ever. Got a question...i want to go up to the 75 shot, however wud rather not have to replace or fabricate a whole new fuel rail and injector set up. My dyno-guy suggested possibly re-calibrating the ECU, or getting a chip to produce the appropriate air/fuel mix increase to handle the larger shot. Have any of u out ther tried or done this????? Wud it work? In theory it sounds like it wud.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:06 AM
Turbo 3.5

Well, after tuning my car and juicing all the power I could get which was closer to 400 than my 369 dyno the 3.0 finally gave up. By giving up, I mean the motor held but the weakpoint is the head gasket. To overcome this I will be getting into my winter build early this year and beef up another low mileage 3.0 to handle some serious boost and n20. However I am looking into turbo......hopefully will be turbo + n20 by next year.

build should consist of, cometic head gasket, arp headbolts, pathfinder cams, stiffer springs and retainers......then boost the **** out of that ***** and see how well she holds up.
damn that sucks, good luck with the new build
Old 09-13-2008, 10:11 AM
Turbo 3.5

Originally Posted by MaxdFactor
Nice thread, i too am running Nitrous. I've got a Zex dry 55shot...works awesome. No probs what so ever. Got a question...i want to go up to the 75 shot, however wud rather not have to replace or fabricate a whole new fuel rail and injector set up. My dyno-guy suggested possibly re-calibrating the ECU, or getting a chip to produce the appropriate air/fuel mix increase to handle the larger shot. Have any of u out ther tried or done this????? Wud it work? In theory it sounds like it wud.
I ran a zex dry kit and I max'd out the injectors with a 100shot and a walbro pump. I have dyno proof to back it up, I would not suggest going over a 55 shot with stock injectors and pump. And 65shot with stock injectors and a walbro anything beyond a 75 shot you should get either bigger injectors or convert to a wet kit which is what I did and picked up another 38whp
Old 09-13-2008, 01:05 PM
VQ30 DE T

Goodluck with the winter project... Turbo ftw
Old 09-13-2008, 05:14 PM

thnx for the info...so u say i cud go up to the 65 shot, but shud get the Walbro pump if i do...got it. Did u have to pull the fuel tank apart? cuz thts were the pump is..sounds like a pain in the @ss!
Old 09-14-2008, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by MaxdFactor
thnx for the info...so u say i cud go up to the 65 shot, but shud get the Walbro pump if i do...got it. Did u have to pull the fuel tank apart? cuz thts were the pump is..sounds like a pain in the @ss!

You do not have to pull the gas tank apart.. The fuel pump is located under the back seat..
Old 09-14-2008, 07:05 AM
Turbo 3.5

what he ^ said, plus if you are running stocks plugs I would change them to 1 step colders plugs if you go pass a 55shot

and do not forget to buy the rubber O-ring gasket when you swap out the pump
Old 09-14-2008, 11:36 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

I like this guy - he's a motor-buster too.....
Old 09-15-2008, 06:42 AM

sc and nitrous is overkill, just by a ten speed bike and call it a day,lol. theres a few things you must put in place if you want to do this successfully. most of the stuff was mentioned already, but the main thing is be very careful and just dont throw it in and start racing. of course when we meet up i can help you more, good luck. p.s should i bring a stack of 20's to our next kill meeting,lol.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:47 AM
nycnissans

^ lol.....no need to, you always leave with the stack of 20's
Old 09-15-2008, 07:18 AM

^ lol.....no need to, you always leave with the stack of 20's
not against each other silly are opponents,lol. lets go find those guys we raped a few weeks back and rape em again,lol.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:21 AM
nycnissans

^ yeh....i know

man they stopped coming around......lol
Old 09-15-2008, 12:58 PM

kill meeting...lol

^ yeh....i know

man they stopped coming around......lol
You guys can't dance without me. Let me fix my leg so I can dance....lol
Old 09-15-2008, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by nwell2k3
You guys can't dance without me. Let me fix my leg so I can dance....lol
hurry up dammit it's getting cold outside, and these guys got hurt so bad by maximas they scurred lol.

Quick Reply: nitrous newbie help !!! well not too much of a newbie