5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Coolant leaking on bottom of oil pan.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 01:22 AM

Coolant leaking on bottom of oil pan.

My 2002 I 35 is telling me it wants to quit. Lately the last 3 weeks I've had starting problems when the car is warm, and also coolant level in radiator seemed to drop and I'd have to top off every other day. But recently seems to be getting worse. Radiator would be nearly empty with the resivior full. So I took to pep boys for a pressure test, they didn't find anything last week according to them. So I noticed last night as I was sitting my temp guage went up a little after I turned the AC off. Today I saw antifreeze seeping on the oil filter, control arm, and lower oil pan area. So I thought one hose on the oil cooler tube was leaking so I replaced it but that didn't fix anything. The coolant is still leaking and Im hoping it'd not the water pump that was replaced 100k ago.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:48 AM
Bad *** Newb

sounds like pump O rings.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
sounds like pump O rings.
Kinda what I was afraid of man but thanks for the reply, would it be a good idea to get the orings from dealer? I think last time an AutoZone water pump was installed.possibly with seals. 305k miles on this thing.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Doing some unrelated shopping of my own so i figured id take a peak. Rockauto has Fel-pro brand orings on clearance for 3 dollars, i dont think youre going to beat that anywhere. Also, 300k!! Keep on trucking dude.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:26 PM

I'm starting to wonder if the oil cooler housing itself or the short peice of hose behind it is leaking. SMH it feels kinda soft I'm thinking if the water pump seals were indeed bad, wouldn't it leak more towards the front of the car idk. Someone suggested I change the timing chain while they do the water pump. I said no just do the water pump there are access covers there, and plus it was done before without replacing the timing chain.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Slamrod
Doing some unrelated shopping of my own so i figured id take a peak. Rockauto has Fel-pro brand orings on clearance for 3 dollars, i dont think youre going to beat that anywhere. Also, 300k!! Keep on trucking dude.
Man I forgot about rockauto lol. Oh yes 305k miles and still runs great aside from the normal wear and tear items
Old 09-24-2018, 11:41 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by maxinout93
I'm starting to wonder if the oil cooler housing itself or the short peice of hose behind it is leaking. SMH it feels kinda soft I'm thinking if the water pump seals were indeed bad, wouldn't it leak more towards the front of the car idk. Someone suggested I change the timing chain while they do the water pump. I said no just do the water pump there are access covers there, and plus it was done before without replacing the timing chain.
O rings leak down under t-stat housing by alternator. I figure it was just making its way back and settling on the pan. I guess it's possible there's a failure of the oil warmer, although that must be pretty rare. Power wash it off, so you can see more clearly.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:24 PM

O rings leak down under t-stat housing by alternator. I figure it was just making its way back and settling on the pan. I guess it's possible there's a failure of the oil warmer, although that must be pretty rare. Power wash it off, so you can see more clearly.
Gotcha I will spray wash under the car when i get off work tomorrow evening.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:57 PM

if it's the pump then try to replace it fast because mine did the same thing and was losing coolant.
i had an oil analysis done and it was messing up my bearings.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeypunch
if it's the pump then try to replace it fast because mine did the same thing and was losing coolant.
i had an oil analysis done and it was messing up my bearings.
Oh wow man, but I'm hoping its not the pump though.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:48 PM

Just some pictures I took last night
Old 09-26-2018, 12:13 AM
Bad *** Newb

Just some pictures I took last night
Oh, wow. Looks like you're right. I wonder what happened lol
Old 09-26-2018, 12:53 AM

Oh, wow. Looks like you're right. I wonder what happened lol
I don't know I know it rained alot here last week I'll have to see if that coolant hose is bad or the oil cooler
Old 09-26-2018, 06:37 AM

Whatever it turns out to be. don't mess with the chain. They're probably thinking about cars where the chain/belt comes off to get to the pump and the belt/chain requires regular service. Our chains are pretty much lifetime parts even with your miles.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
Whatever it turns out to be. don't mess with the chain. They're probably thinking about cars where the chain/belt comes off to get to the pump and the belt/chain requires regular service. Our chains are pretty much lifetime parts even with your miles.
Yah thanks for the advice man I told them no because they just want more money for labor.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:41 PM

Yah thanks for the advice man I told them no because they just want more money for labor.
In a lot of cases it would be solid advice when changing a water pump. Just not on these cars.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
In a lot of cases it would be solid advice when changing a water pump. Just not on these cars.

Yeah u are definitely right, my new work schedule will not permit me to further investigate what is leaking on my car until the weekend SMH.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:11 AM

If you go in there change the entire w/p not just the outer oring! What if it's really the inner w/p shaft seal? Just install a quality brand and call it the day! My 4th gen w/p was changed 7yrs again with a good brand and it's still doing it's job!
Old 09-28-2018, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
If you go in there change the entire w/p not just the outer oring! What if it's really the inner w/p shaft seal? Just install a quality brand and call it the day! My 4th gen w/p was changed 7yrs again with a good brand and it's still doing it's job!
Yah I hear u man it was changed about a year and a half ago I don't know what brand it was because the mechanic bought it, I'll be able to see what is exactly going on tomorrow though. Kinda frustrating though seems like one thing after the other to fix.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:02 PM

Ok so today I was able to look at things more closely and with the car running. It seems as if you guys are right about the water pump seals. The leak is pretty much under behind the alternator so it seems, I can't pinpoint any other place on the passenger side where a hose would be leaking ECT. Now only thing is do u get a pump from the dealer or AutoZone and what would be a good brand.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:03 PM

Ok so today I was able to look at things more closely and with the car running. It seems as if you guys are right about the water pump seals. The leak is pretty much under behind the alternator so it seems, I can't pinpoint any other place on the passenger side where a hose would be leaking ECT. Now only thing is do u get a pump from the dealer or AutoZone and what would be a good brand.
I can't do the labor on this job, so most I've heard so far is $400 to install, but trynna go below that amount.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:29 PM

you get what you pay for. it's usually said to get OEM, idk about the pump it isn't a sensor but, if the after markets skip on tolerances and material grades you'll being PAYING TWICE when you get it fixed again 6 to 13 months. it would be worth doing HEAVY research if you get aftermarket. that's why i made a thread about the crank sensors after reading a number reviews where the aftermarkets ones failed. same with alternator.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:48 PM

https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...g-oil-pan.html

heres a link to when I had this issue. Basically I ordered a new Nissan pump on E-bay from an Infinity sales center. I don't have 350000miles yet. You could get a used (OEM) Infinity pump and just get new O-rings. The O-rings are $10.

If you planning this as a DIY here's a tip
be careful not to strip out the W/P bolt holes and also carefull removing the old pump out after backing it out because the propellers are sharp and could gouge the bore.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by maximatech12
https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...g-oil-pan.html

heres a link to when I had this issue. Basically I ordered a new Nissan pump on E-bay from an Infinity sales center. I don't have 350000miles yet. You could get a used (OEM) Infinity pump and just get new O-rings. The O-rings are $10.

If you planning this as a DIY here's a tip
be careful not to strip out the W/P bolt holes and also carefull removing the old pump out after backing it out because the propellers are sharp and could gouge the bore.
OK is this a hard job to do? Ive never done anything of this nature, although i did practice removing a water pump on a 03 g35 from a junkyard but those seem easy to remove because they are in the front of the car.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:15 PM
Bad *** Newb

OK is this a hard job to do? Ive never done anything of this nature, although i did practice removing a water pump on a 03 g35 from a junkyard but those seem easy to remove because they are in the front of the car.
It's not hard, but it's time consuming, and making sure you don't **** up and drop a bolt down in the timing cover.

My write-up that was an afterthought lol https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...ml#post9081415

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 10-02-2018 at 11:22 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:51 PM

It's not hard, but it's time consuming, and making sure you don't **** up and drop a bolt down in the timing cover.

My write-up that was an afterthought lol https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...ml#post9081415

ok i cant afford to mess up, although i believe i can pull off this job on a weekend day, and it would be the most challenging job on this car and id consider myself a master mechanic if i could pull this off and save about $300-$400 its one of those jobs id have to pay someone to do to have a peice of mind i guess.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:00 PM
Bad *** Newb

ok i cant afford to mess up, although i believe i can pull off this job on a weekend day, and it would be the most challenging job on this car and id consider myself a master mechanic if i could pull this off and save about $300-$400 its one of those jobs id have to pay someone to do to have a peice of mind i guess.
Ha. It's not bad, just don't drop a bolt and you're fine.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:11 AM

Ha. It's not bad, just don't drop a bolt and you're fine.
OK then 2 things, Is it easier to remove the pass engine mount, for more room? and also i read where you have to turn the crank 20 degrees counter clockwise to free up the chain a little, and then turn it back 20 degrees once tensioner and pump and back in.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:21 AM
Bad *** Newb

OK then 2 things, Is it easier to remove the pass engine mount, for more room? and also i read where you have to turn the crank 20 degrees counter clockwise to free up the chain a little, and then turn it back 20 degrees once tensioner and pump and back in.
Absolutely remove it for space, especially since it's so easy.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:11 PM

Ok I think I'm just gonna pay someone to do the job, a little too tight space to work in.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:54 PM
Bad *** Newb

Ok I think I'm just gonna pay someone to do the job, a little too tight space to work in.
sissy man
Old 10-07-2018, 09:08 PM

sissy man

HAHa you funny man im sending it back to pep boys for pressure test in the morning since they claimed they didnt see antifreeze leaking, but still charged me for it.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:22 AM

what would be a good brand water pump? parts stores are my only option for now. Infiniti says $180-$200 for dealer bought water pump. thats ridiculous!
Old 10-13-2018, 01:47 PM
Bad *** Newb

what would be a good brand water pump? parts stores are my only option for now. Infiniti says $180-$200 for dealer bought water pump. thats ridiculous!
I'm starting to think you didn't even read what I posted in my link....
Old 10-13-2018, 06:30 PM

haha

na man. Pay the dealer 200 bux and never worry about the water pump ever again.

i got mine from autozone years ago idk the brand but i can do the job in like an hour so
the gamble is sorta in my favor. autozone water pump still working like it should btw.
oh and autozone alternator. at least 5 years for both.
again, oh i just remembered. autozone maf and like 2 coils.

Allot of autozone chinesium is garbage though....
like my bmw axles that broke 1 mile from my house.
that was fun.

Last edited by Donkeypunch; 10-13-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:43 PM

I'm starting to think you didn't even read what I posted in my link....

Yes I read your link u said u bought an asin water pump on ebay.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeypunch
haha

na man. Pay the dealer 200 bux and never worry about the water pump ever again.

i got mine from autozone years ago idk the brand but i can do the job in like an hour so
the gamble is sorta in my favor. autozone water pump still working like it should btw.
oh and autozone alternator. at least 5 years for both.
again, oh i just remembered. autozone maf and like 2 coils.

Allot of autozone chinesium is garbage though....
like my bmw axles that broke 1 mile from my house.
that was fun.
https://youtu.be/jvQI4HC_izU

Oh wow well since u can do your water pump in an hour is it easier working from the bottom or the top ? And how much do you jack the engine up? Leave cross member on or off?
Old 10-15-2018, 07:19 PM
Bad *** Newb

Yes I read your link u said u bought an asin water pump on ebay.
Asin is cheap and OEM afaik
Old 10-16-2018, 05:18 AM

Asin is cheap and OEM afaik
Gocha man
Old 10-16-2018, 06:26 PM

work from the top and i didn't remove anything or jack the engine up but if it helps you, do it.
just cram your hands down there. lube the orings with some silicon spray so they slide in better.
ez job just time consuming because of the tight space.

Quick Reply: Coolant leaking on bottom of oil pan.