Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

I am officially SUPERCHARGED!!! But my Setup is VERY odd!! Check it out...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 06:02 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

I am officially SUPERCHARGED!!! But my Setup is VERY odd!! Check it out...

I picked my car up today at his shop. Here are my impressions and some interesting facts on my setup:

First, and most importantly, What I am running. I am on a 3.33" pulley, with 1 step colder spark plugs, stock FPR, Walbro fuel pump, with a 12:1 FMU Disc. He said that the 6:1 didn't deliver enough fuel pressure. Stock is something like 45psi right? He said that this barely increased it, like maybe 50psi. He tested the car out with the 8:1 disc and said he heard detonation around 5500rpm! He is ordering a 10:1 disc to use that will be here in two weeks.

The 12:1 seems EXTREMELY conservative and I know it is out of the norm, especially since you all run 6:1 or 8:1 discs. I am also running rich at idle.

Looks and Sound
Everything looks great. The triple pod pillar (painted beige) looks almost OEM and the phantom gauges are beautiful. He did an excellent job on the install, everything looks very clean. The V1 blower sounds awesome. I love the whine it makes. The Blitz BOV is sweet too, but not as loud as I thought it would be. But that's good b/c something like a greddy would get annoying. The blower isn't as loud as I thought it would be, but it is very noticeable and if I slightly revv it to ~1800rpm it makes an awesome high tech whine.

Blower Status
He was very surprised at how big the blower/compressor was. He says the Turbo's he deals with are about half the size. He said it moves an incredible amount of air and that the bearings are tight and everything appears in very good mechanical shape.

Power
It seems that i'm very untuned so the power wasn't as great as I expected. I am running rich with that 12:1 disc on a stock clutch. Still, first gear is incredible. The RPM's shoot to redline in an instant, and I have bounced off the revv limiter a lot. A 5-3 shift at 65mph on the highway was not nearly as impressive as I thought it would be, hopefully that's where the tuning will come into play.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

congrats!!!! welcome to the club. now the next step is to get ur baby dyno-tuned.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:52 PM
Administrator

if you didn't b!tch about something.. it just wouldn't be right..
Old 01-06-2003, 06:55 PM

Somthing in the FMU hook up is not right, vacume lines or fuel lines aint right. My bet goes to vacume line, maybe a slight leak on ther line that supplies boost to the FMU?
Old 01-06-2003, 07:01 PM
Permanent Maxima.org Resident

how much boost are you seeing?

12:1 is way out of wack. Time to examine the fuel setup... Vaccum hose is t'ed off the fpr and onto the fmu, right?
Old 01-06-2003, 07:21 PM

[maxi-overdose]

Mardi and Confused: Thanks for your feedback. I am going to give him a call after school tommorow. Confused, I sent you a PM.

SprintMax: Suck it you *****
Old 01-06-2003, 07:33 PM

Hey sprintmax you are a nosey biyatch you always complain about everything, and you need to mind your own damn business and quit ruining people's threads. He gave me a ride today and it was fast as hell and is only going to get faster.
Old 01-06-2003, 08:55 PM

GOT BEEF?
Old 01-06-2003, 08:55 PM

Hey Craig, The Tom you are talking about is from Ludespeed right? If so, he knows his stuff. He was going to do a turbo setup on my car. I'm just still thinking about it.
Old 01-07-2003, 12:59 AM

Good job...look forward to hearing about the results if the other disc are run and perhaps it is a problem not with the FMU but the aux pump included...pinched any lines?
Old 01-07-2003, 02:32 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by Mal5spdMax
Hey sprintmax you are a nosey biyatch you always complain about everything, and you need to mind your own damn business and quit ruining people's threads. He gave me a ride today and it was fast as hell and is only going to get faster.
kinda like what you are doing right now huh? shut the fck up.. take your dck out craig mack's **** and maybe i won't have to write a 4 pager flaming your dumbasss
Old 01-07-2003, 04:39 AM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

Originally posted by SprintMax

kinda like what you are doing right now huh? shut the fck up.. take your dck out craig mack's **** and maybe i won't have to write a 4 pager flaming your dumbasss
ouch

oh and craig... didn't i tell you you're gonna run rich at idle... time for you to call thomas
Old 01-07-2003, 05:28 AM

he is using the walbro.

Originally posted by WizzaMax
Good job...look forward to hearing about the results if the other disc are run and perhaps it is a problem not with the FMU but the aux pump included...pinched any lines?
Old 01-07-2003, 10:40 AM

12:1

No F'n way...how was Turbo Tom tuning the car out? Based on what? Your killing your power with the 12:1, drop the 6:1 or 8:1 in there and the car will feel like a different beast altogether. The issue is what did Tom see to make him suspect the motor wasn't getting enough fuel? With the Walbro and stock FPR you will run too Rich unless something is screwy. Not knocking his ability, but maybe it is something obvious we can help with.

-Del
Old 01-07-2003, 12:09 PM
GoldenGlory

Originally posted by SprintMax

i feel the luv in this room ...

Old 01-07-2003, 12:21 PM

Guys,

My check engine light is on. Is it supposed to be?

CarIZMax I sent you a PM.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:06 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

I wouldn't switch down to a lower FMU until you find out what the problem is. You might have a loose vacuum line or maybe a kinked fuel line somewhere. Maybe your OEM fuel pressure regulator is not working at all.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
Maybe your OEM fuel pressure regulator is not working at all.

Hmmmmm....you really think so? Car only has 74k miles, and 53k of them were driven by an old couple when it was automatic. This doesn't seem like the type of part to go, and if it did, I would be seeing signs way before I installed the S/C correct? I guess the only way to find out is to address the other potential problems first.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:35 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Yes, once you resolve your other problems. You will just be running super rich. At that point, you can go back to what everyone else is running as far as the FMU is concern. I would not just blindly go back to 6:1 to troubleshoot the other problems. It only take that one time running lean to blow a motor. Find out why your fuel pressure is not raising as expected. Then again...I'm just a nitrous guy so you might not want to listen to me.

Originally posted by Craig Mack

Hmmmmm....you really think so? Car only has 74k miles, and 53k of them were driven by an old couple when it was automatic. This doesn't seem like the type of part to go, and if it did, I would be seeing signs way before I installed the S/C correct? I guess the only way to find out is to address the other potential problems first.
Old 01-07-2003, 02:13 PM

Just got off the phone with Tom. He says all the lines are hooked up correctly, nothing is pinched and nothing is backwards. My Stock FPR is fully functional as well.

He wanted me to ask you guys, what Fuel Pressure do you get under full boost with the 6:1 and 8:1 disc w/3.33 pulley?? He says he swears he heard a knocking around 5000rpm. But just to be safe, he put the 12:1 in temporarily. (no 10:1)
Old 01-07-2003, 03:27 PM

I hope it all works out for you...it will be good to know why it is a bit different than some of the others
Old 01-07-2003, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by WizzaMax
I hope it all works out for you...it will be good to know why it is a bit different than some of the others
Thanks man...btw, do you still want that 2.87 pulley? Brand new, never used from Vortech. $55 shipped. WizzaMax has 1st dibs, but anyone else who wants it PM me.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:24 PM

Anyone have any assumptions as to why my CEL is on?? All Gauges read normal.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:29 PM

Old 01-07-2003, 06:19 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

pull the code
Old 01-07-2003, 07:33 PM

o2 sensor??? Place your bets!!

Old 01-07-2003, 07:40 PM

Thanks man...btw, do you still want that 2.87 pulley?
Sorry for the delay, yes I will buy it from you...can you PM me the info on how you would prefer payment? I can mail or PayPal...either way is fine with me...mail gets you more money less fees and I am in no rush for the 2.87...I will start with the 3.60 until I know everything is working right (within reason)
Old 01-07-2003, 10:47 PM

WizzaMax: thought you were going to buy the 2.87" pulley from me? Oh well, go ahead and buy Craig's one. I'm in no hurry to sell mine.
Old 01-08-2003, 04:40 AM

Originally posted by Cumalot
WizzaMax: thought you were going to buy the 2.87" pulley from me? :conused: Oh well, go ahead and buy Craig's one. I'm in no hurry to sell mine.
You tryin to ruin my business here?

Wizza, i'll PM you.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:45 AM

..me...I am a blond so you can blame the hair..anyhow, I hope there is no hard feelings I had both of you in conversation separately abou the pulleys.
Old 01-08-2003, 11:08 AM

Wizza: of course not, no hard feelings. I'm don't really need the money, just trying to help out fellow Maxima owners.

Craig: nah...it's all good. Back on to the subject, you should definitely find out what's wrong Craig. Even with a 3.33 pulley, your car should be pretty fast. Even with my auto, when I had the 3.33 pulley, it was pretty awesome. With your 5spd, it should be more than enough...for now.
Old 01-08-2003, 01:46 PM

IT'S FIXED

Went down to his shop. We threw in the 8:1 disc and we went for a ride. I went WOT and hit 70 fuel psi at full boost! He's like whoa, it wasn't like this yesterday!

It made a HUGE difference in power. This thing pulls A LOT harder, and sooner in the RPM band. The sound is absolutely amazing. The thing is, I am a cop magnet so that was the first time I REALLY opened it up. (went up to about 90mph) Where do you guys go to let loose? If I get one more ticket i'm done for. First gear is completely useless. It winds out in like 1 second.

Should I venture down to the 6:1 disc? Is the difference between it and the 8:1 THAT big a deal? (like the switch I just made)

You know whats sad? I STILL can't chirp second gear . My clutch is buttery smooth but weak as sin. WIth the ACT, will I be able to squeel into second gear? What about 3rd gear? I am concerned about drivability tho. I'm not the best at engaging into first gear most of the time. Does the ACT have enough give so I can ease it in? I hope it doesn't increase the chances of me stalling!
Old 01-08-2003, 02:25 PM

Re: IT'S FIXED

He's like whoa, it wasn't like this yesterday!

don't ya love those moments? Call it clarity...glad to hear things are well.
Old 01-08-2003, 02:28 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

You know whats sad? I STILL can't chirp second gear .
Whatchu talkin' about, Craig? I did it once after I got my rebuild back and I'm auto!
Old 01-08-2003, 02:51 PM

I don't just chirp second gear, I spin out sometimes. I can't have it at WOT in even a very slight turn or pavement change during the 2-3 shift alot of the time.

and I'm Auto.

Gotta love that MEVI.

Glad to hear it's all working well - before going to the 6:1 disc, I would suggest getting the thing tuned on a Dyno. Then figure out where to go from there.

IanS
Old 01-08-2003, 03:04 PM

Re: Re: IT'S FIXED

Originally posted by BlackCat

Whatchu talkin' about, Craig? I did it once after I got my rebuild back and I'm auto!
Well I usually bounce off the revv limiter since 1st winds out so fast. The 5spd first gear ratio is 3.33 whereas the auto is like 2.43. 5spd winds out A LOT quicker. No traction and lack of quick reaction time means I end up shifting around 3,100 so I guess that's why.
Old 01-08-2003, 04:14 PM

now u need to post some picz!
Old 01-08-2003, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by BBaker025
now u need to post some picz!
I will once I get my new rims on in a couple weeks or so.
Old 01-08-2003, 05:14 PM

Congrats~! you never told us what code you threw..

Went down to his shop. We threw in the 8:1 disc and we went for a ride. I went WOT and hit 70 fuel psi at full boost! He's like whoa, it wasn't like this yesterday!

It made a HUGE difference in power. This thing pulls A LOT harder, and sooner in the RPM band. The sound is absolutely amazing. The thing is, I am a cop magnet so that was the first time I REALLY opened it up. (went up to about 90mph) Where do you guys go to let loose? If I get one more ticket i'm done for. First gear is completely useless. It winds out in like 1 second.

Should I venture down to the 6:1 disc? Is the difference between it and the 8:1 THAT big a deal? (like the switch I just made)

You know whats sad? I STILL can't chirp second gear . My clutch is buttery smooth but weak as sin. WIth the ACT, will I be able to squeel into second gear? What about 3rd gear? I am concerned about drivability tho. I'm not the best at engaging into first gear most of the time. Does the ACT have enough give so I can ease it in? I hope it doesn't increase the chances of me stalling!
Old 01-08-2003, 05:17 PM

You could try the 6:1...

What spark plugs are in their?
How much peak boost?
What gauges do you have again?

Quick Reply: I am officially SUPERCHARGED!!! But my Setup is VERY odd!! Check it out...