Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Final Chapter - Belt replaced, but not aligned

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 08:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Final Chapter - Belt replaced, but not aligned

This weekend is worst than the last two......it is always easier to remove something than putting it back and having it running without problems. I had some troubles with the belt as I mentioned in my other thread.

Kevin took a look at SC and identified the possible cause of the shredded belt from last time, and the acutal cause of all the troubles that I went through for belt alignment : The Vortech 6-rib 3.33 pulley.

what you see in the picture is Kevin's 2.87 pulley. The portion that I circled in red is different than my 3.33 and it is about 2 - 3mm thicker than the 2.87. Because of this variation in thickness, it pushed the pulley cloesr to the place and that's why the belt is not running straight....it is running close to my SC plate now and soon or later, it will give in and duplicate the same problem happened before.

Now....I have few options
1)go straight to 2.87 the problem solves.
2)file down the 3.33 to make it aligned.

Why Vortech cannot produce the product with same spec consistently???

oh~ and thx Kevin for coming over and help me out.....
Old 01-13-2003, 09:04 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Wow, I never noticed that with my 3.33" pulley. I did know that I had 3 washers that needed to be put in the right places but I didn't note where on the mounting plate when I took the blower off.

I think a couple of washers will fix the problem like mine. Just make sure that they are distributed evenly. I had all three to one side and that made the blower go off alignment and thus the belt too.
Old 01-13-2003, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by BlackCat
Wow, I never noticed that with my 3.33" pulley. I did know that I had 3 washers that needed to be put in the right places but I didn't note where on the mounting plate when I took the blower off.

I think a couple of washers will fix the problem like mine. Just make sure that they are distributed evenly. I had all three to one side and that made the blower go off alignment and thus the belt too.
that's better than my situation: I cant take off anything. The pulley is already running on the shaft and it got pushed to the timing chain cover side. Now I have to find a machine shop that will sand off exact 2mm evenly on that side of the pulley.

Kevin strongly encouraged me to try the 2.87 pulley and he said that I will like it. (but the problem is the auto tranny.) He also suggested to loose the BOV as a mechanical control from being boost happy.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:39 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]

Kevin strongly encouraged me to try the 2.87 pulley and he said that I will like it. (but the problem is the auto tranny.) He also suggested to loose the BOV as a mechanical control from being boost happy.
No problem!
Old 01-13-2003, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

No problem!

you are a bad influence.... I dont want to be drawn to the dark side completetly.
Old 01-18-2003, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]

that's better than my situation: I cant take off anything. The pulley is already running on the shaft and it got pushed to the timing chain cover side. Now I have to find a machine shop that will sand off exact 2mm evenly on that side of the pulley.

You can loose boost purposely if you ask me. I know without the ambient air sensor you can loose 5PSI if you dont have it in there. or you can install it and leave it some what loose. Guarantee youll loose at least 3psi. you dont need to take the pulley to the machine shop you can do that yourself with a grinder just have to be truly careful not to grind your fingers a bit. You can also loosen the BOV like Kevin said and loose boost like that. I may do that as I dont feel like boosting 10 anymore.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:17 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

Originally posted by JAY25

You can loose boost purposely if you ask me. I know without the ambient air sensor you can loose 5PSI if you dont have it in there. or you can install it and leave it some what loose. Guarantee youll loose at least 3psi. you dont need to take the pulley to the machine shop you can do that yourself with a grinder just have to be truly careful not to grind your fingers a bit. You can also loosen the BOV like Kevin said and loose boost like that. I may do that as I dont feel like boosting 10 anymore.
hmmm... my ambient air sensor is just hanging out in my engine bay... im a 97 so the sensor didnt hook into the pipe like it should.. help?
Old 01-19-2003, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by seximagtr

hmmm... my ambient air sensor is just hanging out in my engine bay... im a 97 so the sensor didnt hook into the pipe like it should.. help?
I am not going to BS you I went took that elbow off and went to autozone got two screws and screwed our ambient air sensor in there and then grabbed some silicone and sealed around there and then taped it on top of that to make sure no air gets out. I didnt plug my in there at first and Matt saw it when we changed our clutch I plugged it boosted 10PSI but prior to that I was boosting 5PSI all the time
Old 01-19-2003, 03:45 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

Originally posted by JAY25

I am not going to BS you I went took that elbow off and went to autozone got two screws and screwed our ambient air sensor in there and then grabbed some silicone and sealed around there and then taped it on top of that to make sure no air gets out. I didnt plug my in there at first and Matt saw it when we changed our clutch I plugged it boosted 10PSI but prior to that I was boosting 5PSI all the time

so in other words you were "boosting" with a hole where the sensor was..

Mine is just wrapped up tight with electrical tape temporarily...

See, I thought you meant that since the sensor was not in the pathway, that it made it lose boost.. but it makes sense now hehe... i was worried because i am hitting 11 psi..