Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

SC setup guage ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 10:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

SC setup guage ?

I am getting geared up to install my SC next week. What guages do you recommend? I think boost, EGT & Fuel Preasure. Where should I get them and who has the best prices.
Also does anyone make all 3 in digital?

Tahnks for the help.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:34 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

People here recommended Boost and EGT as the ones to start off with.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:43 AM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

Originally posted by BlackCat
People here recommended Boost and EGT as the ones to start off with.
Get a Mechanical Boost guage, and there's MANY different electrical egt,fp etc type of guages... digital, I haven't seen too many..

For sure Get an EGT guage, and fuel pressure... Boost is a good guage, not that you'll overboost, but u can check your work since it reads vacuum etc..

Give us a price limit and we can help you better, the prices of guage vary greatly, form 50 bucks a guage, to a few bills.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by seximagtr

Get a Mechanical Boost guage, and there's MANY different electrical egt,fp etc type of guages... digital, I haven't seen too many..

For sure Get an EGT guage, and fuel pressure... Boost is a good guage, not that you'll overboost, but u can check your work since it reads vacuum etc..

Give us a price limit and we can help you better, the prices of guage vary greatly, form 50 bucks a guage, to a few bills.
reliablity is more than important than cost. Don't get me wrong I don't want to spend a fortune on it, but just for pretty won't work. I there is a need for these guages I want it to be accurate.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by LatinMax

reliablity is more than important than cost. Don't get me wrong I don't want to spend a fortune on it, but just for pretty won't work. I there is a need for these guages I want it to be accurate.
stick with quality guages then, for boost, anything works realy.. it's not like you're going to overboost. For the other types, the actauly safety guages, stick with quality brands i.e. Apexi, Greddy, HKS, Blitz.. stay away from autometer... Autometer is cheap, and isn't all that accurate.. Those guages i mentioned are a little on the higher side of the price line, but imo, worth it.

If you want a good af guage, people say the Greddy af guage is a good setup because it uses it's own o2 sensor.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:57 AM

stick with quality guages then, for boost, anything works realy.. it's not like you're going to overboost. For the other types, the actauly safety guages, stick with quality brands i.e. Apexi, Greddy, HKS, Blitz.. stay away from autometer... Autometer is cheap, and isn't all that accurate.. Those guages i mentioned are a little on the higher side of the price line, but imo, worth it.

If you want a good af guage, people say the Greddy af guage is a good setup because it uses it's own o2 sensor.
Where do I get them? and how much?
Old 01-13-2003, 12:22 PM

Where do I get them? and how much?
www.summitracing.com is a good source... just do a search in say google and u should find plenty
Old 01-13-2003, 01:45 PM

I have boost/EGT/tranny temp. Tranny temp gauge is just something that I use to eliminate heat as a reason of tranny failure.

EGT - I would recommand A'pexi electronic gauge with warning/peak/memory. Those looks really nice at night. But the price is kinda high, about 240. If you want a cheaper one, Greddy has the same thing but it is not indeglo like A'pexi.

Boost - I recommand a mechanical boost gauge in PSI format. So it is easier to follow with your pulley setting. All the warning feature on boost gauge is not necessary.....because you will not overboost with the SC.

happy shopping....get the EGT to start with.
Old 01-13-2003, 01:56 PM

I still am looking to see who has a good price. This site was given to me and has been the cheapest so far. Do you guys have any other site with good prices.

Oh, Autometer is not a choice. Thanks for the info thus far.
Old 01-13-2003, 02:02 PM

I still am looking to see who has a good price. This site was given to me and has been the cheapest so far. Do you guys have any other site with good prices.

Oh, Autometer is not a choice. Thanks for the info thus far.
I believe that's the site with the cheapes price you can find on net. They are located near where I live and I heard a lot of complaining from their competitor because they get their merchandize straight from Asia....where they dont follow any price regulation in the states.

try optauto.com....they also have a lot of selection. but it is a bit expensive than gruppe-s.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:12 PM

Why do you not recommend autometer? I was planning on getting a boost gauge and egt from them this week and you have me thinking now. Can you please explain why they are not accurate? Thanks.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:01 AM

Originally posted by Mike H.

Why do you not recommend autometer? I was planning on getting a boost gauge and egt from them this week and you have me thinking now. Can you please explain why they are not accurate? Thanks.
Well, sometimes fp is off by a few psi... and my egt's seem a little bit low (granted I'm tapped into a spot further down the exhaust stream)..

Autometer is alright for the price, but I happened to get them with the kit and they do their job ok, but if I didn't have a cash limit, I'd go all out and get the greddy af guage, whatever boost guage, and an apexi fp..
Old 01-15-2003, 07:13 AM

Well, sometimes fp is off by a few psi... and my egt's seem a little bit low (granted I'm tapped into a spot further down the exhaust stream)..

Hmmm. My autometer fuel pressure gauge indicated 34 psi at idle and 43 at WOT, right exactly where it's supposed to be. I haven't calibrated it at higher pressures, though.

On the other hand, my autometer boost gauge is indicating about 1 psi too high when calibrated against a high quality pressure gauge.
Old 01-15-2003, 09:19 AM

Autometer is alright for the price, but I happened to get them with the kit and they do their job ok, but if I didn't have a cash limit, I'd go all out and get the greddy af guage, whatever boost guage, and an apexi fp..
What are your thoughts on VDO and Omori gauges? The reason I'm not going with the greddy ones is because I want something to blend in with the interior, hence the autometer gauges.
Old 01-15-2003, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by Mike H.

What are your thoughts on VDO and Omori gauges? The reason I'm not going with the greddy ones is because I want something to blend in with the interior, hence the autometer gauges.
I haven't ever dealt with those, sorry.