Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

oh dear cf hood / SC found a slight problem....

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 10:22 AM

oh dear cf hood / SC found a slight problem....

so finally here in socali the secound time this intire winter we get a storm.

it has been raining all night. this morning i walked out to the car to start it up. something caught my eye as i was having the morning cig and walk around of my car. the fitment on the FI cf hoods is not exacly perfect. with that said i noticed the gap on the side off the hood along the fender was a bit wide. i pop my hood and low and behold i find my pancake filter wet oh no. luckly i planned on going to work early today so i had the time to take the filter off and take a blower dryer to it. after i dried the filter up i stuck the filter back on the blower i rolled up a towel and stuck it on the side of the hood and shut my hood. keeps the water from getting to the filter.

my question can the water that got on the filter in any way end up inside my motor???? or will it get inside the blower and start making things rust. seems all the more reason to finish off my SC/CAI.
Old 02-11-2003, 10:40 AM

Re: oh dear cf hood / SC found a slight problem....

Originally posted by jdmmax
so finally here in socali the secound time this intire winter we get a storm.

it has been raining all night. this morning i walked out to the car to start it up. something caught my eye as i was having the morning cig and walk around of my car. the fitment on the FI cf hoods is not exacly perfect. with that said i noticed the gap on the side off the hood along the fender was a bit wide. i pop my hood and low and behold i find my pancake filter wet oh no. luckly i planned on going to work early today so i had the time to take the filter off and take a blower dryer to it. after i dried the filter up i stuck the filter back on the blower i rolled up a towel and stuck it on the side of the hood and shut my hood. keeps the water from getting to the filter.

my question can the water that got on the filter in any way end up inside my motor???? or will it get inside the blower and start making things rust. seems all the more reason to finish off my SC/CAI.
That sucks. Yea you should definetely think about doing the CAI because water in the blower is really bad. There is a possibility of water reaching the engine so best bet with that hood is you need to do the CAI.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:01 AM

Re: Re: oh dear cf hood / SC found a slight problem....

Originally posted by BenBlanco218
That sucks. Yea you should definetely think about doing the CAI because water in the blower is really bad. There is a possibility of water reaching the engine so best bet with that hood is you need to do the CAI.

wow im really glad i caught that. im gonna work on the CAI pipe tonight then.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:15 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Frank, there shouldn't be any worries about water into the S/C... at least just sitting there... the inlet is in the center (above) the lowest part of the filter... at worst it would drain from the lowest part of pancake. There wouldn't be any splashing inside the filter, obviously.

Perhaps you can get some weatherstripping along that edge of the hood... I think the water is coming from the "splashing" of drops that fall between the edges.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: oh dear cf hood / SC found a slight problem....

Originally posted by jdmmax

wow im really glad i caught that. im gonna work on the CAI pipe tonight then.
OT: Man I saw your car today in the morning, you were turning on to Gale ave. man your car looks sweet.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:30 AM

oh **** hahahahaha i didn't even see you. im completly oblivious to other cars when im driving to work.

but thanks man.

honk or something that usually gets my attention.
Old 02-11-2003, 12:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Dont sweat it, unless you stick a water hose by the filter when the car is running it aint a big deal. Water injection sprays allot of water into the motor and it helps make power.

No biggie at all.
Old 02-11-2003, 12:19 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Don't worry about small amounts of water getting in your engine because it will turn into steam in the combustion chamber. That's how water/methanol injection works.

Your engine will not ingest as much water as with the WI on one WOT run.
Old 02-11-2003, 12:31 PM

cool thanks for the info guys.
Old 02-11-2003, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Don't worry about small amounts of water getting in your engine because it will turn into steam in the combustion chamber. That's how water/methanol injection works.

Your engine will not ingest as much water as with the WI on one WOT run.
What about small amounts of oil coming from that breather hose going into the filter, how bad is that? I removed mine and used a breather because I was getting lots of oil in the blower.
Old 02-11-2003, 07:18 PM
Battle Max

"Oh dear"!?!?!?!?!? come on frank people from west covina dont talk like that man. Your from the hood you have to put a lil more "thug" in your type.

hahahahahahah "oh dear"========>

Old 02-11-2003, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by Battle Max
"Oh dear"!?!?!?!?!? come on frank people from west covina dont talk like that man. Your from the hood you have to put a lil more "thug" in your type.

^
wtf are you talking about ya *****..... how that @ss hole.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by Battle Max

^
wtf are you talking about ya *****..... how that @ss hole.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:12 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by BenBlanco218
What about small amounts of oil coming from that breather hose going into the filter, how bad is that? I removed mine and used a breather because I was getting lots of oil in the blower.
Oil blow by... dirty but normal.
Old 02-13-2003, 12:20 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

yea i wouldnt wory bout small amounts of water going into the motor. you need a good amount, like lots of water to hydrlock your motor. Some people actually suck up water through a vaccum line to "steam clean" the inside of your engine.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:17 PM

Re: Re: Re: oh dear cf hood / SC found a slight problem....

If you drive in the rain, your CAI will probably get just as wet as it would driving around with your hood gap. Mine comes back pretty damp, but my filter sits pretty low (right behind the foglight)