Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

question before getting a V2

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 08:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

question before getting a V2

ok i want to get a supercharger for my 97 se. i heard there are problems with the v2 kit from stillen. i just wanna get an idea of what kinda troubles and if they are easy to cure. and if u guys changed ur pullys for more boost, how much can u go with it being fail proof safe. also what other BOV work with the stillen kit.
thanks
jason
Old 03-03-2003, 09:41 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: question before getting a V2

Originally posted by M A L
ok i want to get a supercharger for my 97 se. i heard there are problems with the v2 kit from stillen. i just wanna get an idea of what kinda troubles and if they are easy to cure. and if u guys changed ur pullys for more boost, how much can u go with it being fail proof safe. also what other BOV work with the stillen kit.
thanks
jason
Seeing as I just asked most of these recently, I'll try to help you out!

Problems: The most common I read about was the plastic idler pully melting. Stillen claims they fixed it. I (and many others here) purchased aluminum (or steel) ones from aspracing.com.

BOV's: Stillen recommens the Blitz, as it will bolt right to the stock flange. I would imagine just about any BOV will work, its just a matter of getting the correct flange welded to the piping.
Old 03-03-2003, 09:42 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

No real problems with the stock 3.6" pulley. You may want to invest in some metal pulleys to be safe... ASP makes them.

If you change to a smaller pulley to increase boost... make sure you can support it with fuel system. Make sure you align the pulleys and belts and have the belt tension adjust right. Depending how small the pulley, you may have to grind part of the bracket to clear the belt. AFAIK, only the Blitz BOV will fit the stock Stillen pipe.

Use search for additional details.
Old 03-03-2003, 09:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

try a search on your questions and read couple 4th gen and 5th gen FAQs. This topic has been discussed for many times.

try search following

melt AND pulley
belt AND align
belt AND shred
crank AND diameter
hobb AND switch

if you have an auto, make sure you beef up your auto tranny.

welcome to Maxima.org
Old 03-03-2003, 11:09 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Your driving style will dictate whether you can get by with the stock plastic pulleys. I just babied my car most of the time. No track, just a few spirited spurts of driving and one auto-cross. I installed my V2 back in Oct. 2000 and it was until Nov. 2002 I replaced the idler pulley with the aluminum one from DanNY when he was still manufacturing them. My tensioner pulley is still plastic although I have the aluminum one. I switched back to the plastic as I was having lots of belt slippage during the winter months. I thought my plastic pulleys were showing signs of melting but I discovered that it was residue from the melting belts! Scraped the hard goo off and the surface was intact!

The thing you have to be careful of is overtightening the drive belt. Overtightening will cause premature blower bearing wear and you'll hear the marbles-in-a-can noise. This was something I did to myself because of the belt slippage.

Oh yeah, if you're auto you'll need a tranny cooler and a VB mod. I've got the B&M Supercooler while others have the Hayden model. I got my VB mod through Mobiltek.
Old 03-03-2003, 11:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

its 5spd. so under normal use, its fine? no belt shreads etc? ok then i think i will consider it. whats the difference between the v1 and v2?
jason
Old 03-03-2003, 01:45 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

its 5spd. so under normal use, its fine? no belt shreads etc? ok then i think i will consider it. whats the difference between the v1 and v2?
jason
Mine's a daily driver so no problems. Belt jumps/shreds only if out of alignment.
Only difference is the blower design, hence V1 versus V2(SC trim). I believe its described on the Vortech website. You can't get a new V1 anyways. The mounting plate design is slightly different as well.

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/units/
Old 03-03-2003, 06:58 PM

jason
The main difference between the V1 and the V2 kit, besides the mounting bracket difference, is that the V1 blower has straight cut spur gears, which are inherently noisy when spinning in an unloaded condition at idle. They produce a slightly rattly noise which sounds like a bearing gone bad. The rattle goes away immediately upon revving up above idle and is replaced by a high-pitched turbine whine. Vortech used helical cut spur gears in the V2, eliminating the noise at idle.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:03 PM

Originally posted by Stephen Max

The main difference between the V1 and the V2 kit, besides the mounting bracket difference, is that the V1 blower has straight cut spur gears, which are inherently noisy when spinning in an unloaded condition at idle. Vortech used helical cut spur gears in the V2, eliminating the noise at idle.

now you gotta admit, that is pretty kewl...

this goes under the GTK info link
Old 03-03-2003, 11:05 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

V2 has a slightly higherer internal gear ratio than V1 (i.e. more boost given same pulley).
Old 03-04-2003, 01:01 AM
GoldenGlory

Originally posted by BlackCat
I replaced the idler pulley with the aluminum one from DanNY when he was still manufacturing them. My tensioner pulley is still plastic although I have the aluminum one. I switched back to the plastic as I was having lots of belt slippage during the winter months. I thought my plastic pulleys were showing signs of melting but I discovered that it was residue from the melting belts! Scraped the hard goo off and the surface was intact!

i bought my V2 from NYM jay jay with DanNy's pulleys ..havent hand any problems as of yet

( KNOCK ON WOOD )
everything was done by jeff @ max tuning

Old 03-04-2003, 05:29 AM

Originally posted by GoldenGlory

i bought my V2 from NYM jay jay with DanNy's pulleys ..havent hand any problems as of yet

( KNOCK ON WOOD )
everything was done by jeff @ max tuning

For now
Old 03-04-2003, 05:38 AM
Administrator

who supercharges a car to baby it?
Old 03-04-2003, 07:58 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax
Werd!! I beat the hell out of my car when I got mines on. Maybe that's why my auto tranny blew? Now if it didn't blow then I wouldn't be a 5spd now
Old 03-04-2003, 08:33 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

I boost just about once a day just to get the rush but
I think I'm babying it in comparision to some of the others here.

After last Novembers' experience I'm starting to treat it like how we handle our Canadian Sea King helicopters up here: For every hour of flight there's 30 hours of maintenance downtime.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:37 AM
ejj

I'm sure I'll baby it 5 days out of the week. My commute isn't long enough to get any use out of it. However, I'll go to the track frequently and beat the crap out of it too!
Old 03-05-2003, 08:11 AM

1. Blitz BOV
2. ASP metal pullies (idler no rails & belt tensioner pulley w/rails)
3. If you have money left a oil cooler

thats all you will need for the V2 kit, but its optional the kit comes with everything you need, you may need to run to autoparts store to get some hoses and maybe a couple of clamps and plastic vacuum T's etc..

thats all the info the man was asking for.

when I got the blower I had the 3.33 option or the 3.25 so I went for the 3.25 and tuned/tweeked everything from there with the help of Mardigrasmax.
Old 03-06-2003, 03:50 PM

thanks
jason

for you if you want to buy

Alot of extras with it.