Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

First shredded belt, Not even 3 months of use!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 02:29 PM

First shredded belt, Not even 3 months of use!!!!

Go out to warm up the car tonight and it starts right up, then i hear this loud slapping noise, knew right away what it was. Pop the hood, sure enough the belt started to shred. I'm so mad right now, havent even had it 3 months and was professionally installed, still on stock pulley. And I have no clue how to change it nor do I want to attempt to with fear of ruining something. Oh well, just needed to rant
Old 03-14-2003, 06:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

same thing happened to me when my installer was out of the town. But I decided to figure it out myself so I took everything off (first time too) and put it back in. took me a long time.

just wondering...was your belt running straight? u can tell on how the belt runs on the idler pulley. Or you can compare if the section of the belt that goes into the SC pulley to that comes out of the puelly. See if they are algined correctly.

If not, you need to add washer between your plate and blower.

check out BlackCat's and my thread in this forum. I recorded what I did on replacing belt. Blackcat has soem good story to tell too.
Old 03-14-2003, 07:14 PM

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I was looking into it tonight and the belt jump a rib, it isn't totally shredded but its on its way out. I'm going to check it out tomorrow, hopefully i'll find the problem. I think you're right about the pulley not being aligned. The only thing good that came from this is i'll get to put the 3.125 pulley in when I remove the blower.
Old 03-14-2003, 08:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by robocop199
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I was looking into it tonight and the belt jump a rib, it isn't totally shredded but its on its way out. I'm going to check it out tomorrow, hopefully i'll find the problem. I think you're right about the pulley not being aligned. The only thing good that came from this is i'll get to put the 3.125 pulley in when I remove the blower.
heheheh...time for a pulley swap too, eh?

if a belt is shredded a rib, you can still use it but its life is shortened. I was running on a 5-rib belt for few hundred miles too. It didnt shred though.
Old 03-18-2003, 01:03 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Sorry to hear of your belt problems.

If you take apart the SC by yourself you'll learn lots like I did. Just make sure to label everything so you'll know where they were before. I used envelopes to store the bolts and wrote the bolt position number on it. The bolt numbers come from the Stillen document that came with the kit. Also take pictures as that would help alot better than going by memory.

When you get around to removing the blower from the mounting plate do it slowly as there may be some washers there already. If there aren't any washers, distribute them evenly. This way the blower pulley will be parallel to the idler and tensioner pulleys and slightly farther away from the engine.

May as well replace the belt since its going to come off too.
Old 03-18-2003, 01:34 PM

Thanks for all the replies, it has really helped me out a lot. I'm just waiting for the 3.125 pulley to come in, then i'll get the blower out.
thanks again
Old 03-18-2003, 02:52 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Originally posted by robocop199
Thanks for all the replies, it has really helped me out a lot. I'm just waiting for the 3.125 pulley to come in, then i'll get the blower out.
thanks again
Give us a shout if you need advice. We're around to help out!