Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

question about the PFI pricing

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 12:22 PM

question about the PFI pricing

I was looking at what is included in the kit, and decided to poke around the web for a bit. Here is what is included in Nigel's kit:

1. Brand New T4/TO4E turbo (upgrades available)
2. Deltagate external wastegate
3. exhaust pipes (All pipes are included now where the y-pipe was not before - Mandrel and non-mandrel available)
4. Oil line
5. Oil dump.
6. exhaust flanges to and from turbo
7. fuel pressure regulator
8. Clamps, connectors etc.
9. Spearco intercooler (optional for non-I/C)

Which somehow adds up to $4000. I did a bit of looking around myself:

T04B/E Turbo from http://www.turbosunleashed.com/hybrid.htm: $500
a Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator: $250
Wastegate: $300
Budget Intake / Y Pipe: $400
Custom Built Intercooler: $450

Now I realize that I'm missing the turbo manifolds and some other small miscellaneous stuff, but what I found still only adds up to $1900. I don't mean to sound like a ****, but where is the other 2 grand coming from? Have I severely missed something? (Which is very often the case ) I don't really see a reason for why this couldn't be done under 3K. Nigel, would it be possible to just buy the custom done piping from you and get my own parts for the rest?

Thanks,
M
Old 05-04-2003, 12:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Check for Nigels post somewhere else in this forum. He posted all the things that are included. I believe it now comes with guages, turbo timer and some other goodies. Don't take the PFI site as gospel, I would take Nigels posts here as much more accurate.

As is the case with alot of these setups, a big chunk of what your paying for is R&D. Unfortunately it is a neccesary evil. There are going to be turbo kits announced in the not so distant future with a price tag of well over 4k for the maxima. I can't speak to much more than that, but it's a matter of value in your mind.

For 3k you very well may be able to get a custom setup done too.
Old 05-04-2003, 07:46 PM

All I can say is you must always ask for the latest pricing. Depending on what is in stock at the time, you can get a better deal. If we have a TO4B in stock that someone returned or didn't pick up for another application and you agree to that, then you get a good break. As for the prices you quoted ...good luck! Those are better than cost price - what kind of turbo is that anyway ... rebuilt? trashed? There's no way a turbonetics is that cheap. The I/C ... well we use Spearco custom.

For piping, it is an option to just get piping. We have a hard enough time trying to get our own complete kits to fit right let alone trying to match it up with someone elses stuff! So it's no favourable one.
Old 05-04-2003, 08:38 PM

Nigel,

Thanks for finding this thread

The website provided was recommended to me by a couple of turbo dodge people I know. I have high respect for them. I actually live in Fort Collins, so if you're going to be around during the summer perhaps we can get together and chat about this project.

M
Old 05-04-2003, 10:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by runelind
Nigel,

The website provided was recommended to me by a couple of turbo dodge people I know. I have high respect for them. I actually live in Fort Collins, so if you're going to be around during the summer perhaps we can get together and chat about this project.

M
hey man if you live in fort collins come out and say high some night, im usually out on fridays to chill and crusie with my friends, we meet by the harmoney mcdonalds between 9:30 and 10
Ryan
Old 05-05-2003, 10:07 AM

Yup, I will be around for the summer this year. I usually travel a lot, but with this SARS thing, I am pretty much grounded ... which isn't a bad thing really

Nigel,

M
Old 05-05-2003, 10:19 AM

Re: question about the PFI pricing

Piping is more than you'd think. And the rest is to cover R&D time. They spent a lot of money figuring out how to route things, all thta costs money.

I'm working on an all out price is no object turbo kit with friend's shop, and I can tell you that a lot of the money is spent on R&D. It's surprising how what works on paper won't work in the car.

I was looking at what is included in the kit, and decided to poke around the web for a bit. Here is what is included in Nigel's kit:

1. Brand New T4/TO4E turbo (upgrades available)
2. Deltagate external wastegate
3. exhaust pipes (All pipes are included now where the y-pipe was not before - Mandrel and non-mandrel available)
4. Oil line
5. Oil dump.
6. exhaust flanges to and from turbo
7. fuel pressure regulator
8. Clamps, connectors etc.
9. Spearco intercooler (optional for non-I/C)

Which somehow adds up to $4000. I did a bit of looking around myself:

T04B/E Turbo from http://www.turbosunleashed.com/hybrid.htm: $500
a Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator: $250
Wastegate: $300
Budget Intake / Y Pipe: $400
Custom Built Intercooler: $450

Now I realize that I'm missing the turbo manifolds and some other small miscellaneous stuff, but what I found still only adds up to $1900. I don't mean to sound like a ****, but where is the other 2 grand coming from? Have I severely missed something? (Which is very often the case ) I don't really see a reason for why this couldn't be done under 3K. Nigel, would it be possible to just buy the custom done piping from you and get my own parts for the rest?

Thanks,
M
Old 05-05-2003, 12:51 PM

It looks like everyone is designing maxima turbo-kits nowadays...
And still no clear choice.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:05 PM

I'm not even designing one for production. I just don't want either kit on the market right now, so I'm getting it done custom because my friend's shop builds custom turbo kits. And I'll be selling a couple to friends just to cover costs.

Originally posted by BluFlame
It looks like everyone is designing maxima turbo-kits nowadays...
And still no clear choice.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:53 PM

I'll buy one, if it is auto friendly and 4-times better than any maxima kit out there.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:25 AM
rcdrvrrc7

Does anyone know what the difference is between the automatic or manual kits? Why cant i just put the manual kit on my auto tranny?
98' Maxima SE

Old 05-07-2003, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by rcdrvrrc7
Does anyone know what the difference is between the automatic or manual kits? Why cant i just put the manual kit on my auto tranny?
98' Maxima SE
The tranny is too big. The routing is reconfigured to get around the autotragic transmission.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:58 AM

MadMax: how much would you charge to put in a turbo? How much does PFI charge?
Old 05-07-2003, 12:10 PM

MadMax: how much would you charge to put in a turbo? How much does PFI charge?
PFI has told me $500...

I'd recomend them installing it only because it is their kit. If there are fitment issues, they'll have to work around them. Rather for me, I'd have to go back and forth with them.
Old 05-10-2003, 12:30 PM

Does anyone know if they charge $500 for just their kit, or if I put together mostly my own parts and they provided the piping to the intercooler/exhaust manifold etc if it would still be $500?
Old 05-10-2003, 12:49 PM

The install is just for their kit. $500 is what they tell cold callers and people they don't know. I am sure I can get it for less than that ... . The problem with other people providing their parts is that typically, the parts will be either useless or some custom work needs to be done to get it to fit. They don't want to take additional responsibility for that. I am sure you understand.

Does anyone know if they charge $500 for just their kit, or if I put together mostly my own parts and they provided the piping to the intercooler/exhaust manifold etc if it would still be $500?