Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Things one should do after installing a S/C v1 on an auto?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 03:54 PM

Things one should do after installing a S/C v1 on an auto?

searching isn't work in for me...and i got as much as i could from this forum, just wondering on other past experiences one may share here...

I should be getting a used v1 s/c soon.......and was wondering besides the vb mod & tranny cooler....what else do i need to do/replace to my Auto or in general for any s/c car...

for example is changing the fuel pump a must/good idea on a stock pulley?injectors, etc

thanks in advance
Old 05-21-2003, 05:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It all depends.. How much boost do you plan on going?

If you do anything lower then a 3.125" you might think about upgrading the fuel pump, injectors. But if your running stock pulley them your stock internals/accesories will hold fine..
Old 05-21-2003, 05:38 PM

I would say EGT And FP gauges are required. Boost gauge is an option because you will never overboost on an SC. With FP gauge (a good one), you can actually figure out how much boost are you running.

If you plan to do a lot of drag racing...I would get a tranny cooler with fan and thermostat (B&M)...because the traditional cooler is more effective at high speed cruising than stop & go.

not sure about addding upgrading fuel pump though.....with the aux pump and 8:1....I am getting >100psi at WOT.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:26 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

i'm running your setup right now... www.cardomain.com/id/seximagtr for a list of parts.
Old 05-22-2003, 05:48 AM

Thanks for replies guys,
I'm not planning on running a lot of boost since I'm an auto for now...so stock pulley for now.

As far as guages...is it crutial to get them, as far as i understand they are just mainly for looks and informative info on how much boost you're getting at the time...Is there a guage that is a must so that I can monitor it to make sure everything is going according to plan with the s/c?

Seems like the Haynes 403 Transmission Cooler is the best tranny cooler to get since i do a lot of highway driving, and not too much stop and go. Where's the best place to get those? pep boys? or online somewhere?

thanks!
damn search button isn't working
Old 05-22-2003, 05:53 AM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

the only guage that tells you how much boost you're getting is the boost guage, there's plenty of others... I suggest getting an EGT and a fuel pressure guage.
Old 05-22-2003, 06:05 AM

Originally posted by seximagtr
the only guage that tells you how much boost you're getting is the boost guage, there's plenty of others... I suggest getting an EGT and a fuel pressure guage.
I'll second that, but maybe with a bit stronger language. There have been a few cases lately of people blowing their engines and the common thread among them is they were running without gauges and didn't know how much fuel pressure they had or what their EGT was. My opinion (yeah, I know everyone has one, etc.) is that a fuel pressure gauge and an EGT gauge are a must. Install those FIRST, not later when you happen to get around to it.
Old 05-22-2003, 08:09 AM

Originally posted by itsgt

As far as guages...is it crutial to get them, as far as i understand they are just mainly for looks and informative info on how much boost you're getting at the time...Is there a guage that is a must so that I can monitor it to make sure everything is going according to plan with the s/c?
they are very informative.... since you have an SC and you will never overboost on the SC, you want to monitor your A/F ratio. To do that, you can either get an good A/F gauge or use an EGT (much cheaper). EGT does not tell you what A/F ratio are you running, but you will know if your car is leaning out from EGT.

like I've mentioned....get the EGT and FP first....if you are short on money....save the boost gauge later.

you can get Hayden in Pepboys
Old 05-22-2003, 08:24 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

I drove around without any gauges for a year but I was using the stock pulley and wasn't always heavy on the throttle. I went one step colder platinum plugs as well. I suggest getting the gauges like everyone has mentioned above.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:38 PM

drive fast.....really fast....

then stop at the next light...lol