Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Another Turbo???

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 04:32 PM

Another Turbo???

I wish the DAM serach feature would work on this sight, so I need to ask the Question. I just did my 5spd Conversion, with Quafie, ACT, and Findenza Fly as my first project.
My second project is working on a Turbo setup. Can I just put togather a kit by just getting the custom pipings, Intercooler and fittings as a stand alone option?? And possibly get the Turbo seperatly, like a T60-1??? Then aquire all gauges??? I guess fuel and AFC will follow last...

I highly doubt there are shops willing to sell the pipings and fittings seperatly, because they wont make much money from it. Any info would be good. Thanks.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:47 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

umm, T60......riiiiiiiight.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:12 PM

T60??? What are you trying to say???

Originally posted by DA-MAX
umm, T60......riiiiiiiight.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:42 PM

What he's trying to say is that a T60 is not going to work in the car. Much, much too big. The 60 trim turbo Nigel is running is not a T60. It's a T4 with a 60-1 trim. Very different than a T60.

And you can make your own kit, but it involves a lot more than just getting pipes and welding them together, much much more. Unless you have a friend that specializes in building turbo kits, you're better off buying a kit.

Originally posted by Morfeus17
T60??? What are you trying to say???

Old 06-10-2003, 06:53 PM
Ramius83

Yeah, with the T60 turbo, you will be lucky to see any boost at redline (shift point) lololol......

Old 06-10-2003, 07:03 PM

Originally posted by Shadow
...a T60 is not going to work in the car. Much, much too big.
a 3.0 litre V6 can't spool a T60? I think this is far from the truth, it depends more on setup and pipe design. Although you of course can not directly compare our setup to other cars, the actual exhaust gas from a 6cylinder 3litre motor... T88? Think supra. Like I said, spool is going to be greatly affected by pipe design and other factors (ball bearing, front and rear exhaust seperated, a/r, etc)

Morfeus, my advice is don't let what everyone says "can't happen" stop you, just make sure you do your homework and research everything more than possible, and if you plan on running a larger sized turbo such as 60-1, be sure that your piping and setup will be able to spool it (not the typical piping designs you see for sale).

Best of luck
Old 06-10-2003, 07:07 PM

Re: Another Turbo???

I wish the DAM serach feature would work on this sight,
oh yeah, and have you tried? bc search works as of right now.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:09 PM

I never said a 3.0 V6 couldn't spool a T60. Far from it. But I said it was too big for a Maxima, and this is the truth. Unless you want to build a drag race Maxima, a T60 is not a good choice. These are used on 500+whp Supras at high boost. Unless Morfeus wants to spend a bunch of money building the motor, it's not going to be any good.

My friend runs a Supra tuning shop www.batlground.com And his personal Supra runs a turbo that's bigger than a T88. It puts down 940 rwhp at 30lbs boost on nitrous. That's a 3.0L inline 6. But does anything spool before 4.5K? Nope, not really. That's the problem. Unless he sprays nitrous out of the hole, the turbo lags. And if Morfeus wants to be able to drive his car on the street, a T60 isn't going to work.

I really think that Morfeus got the 60-1 and T60 mixed up. Very different turbos.

Originally posted by guestNX

a 3.0 litre V6 can't spool a T60? I think this is far from the truth, it depends more on setup and pipe design. Although you of course can not directly compare our setup to other cars, the actual exhaust gas from a 6cylinder 3litre motor... T88? Think supra. Like I said, spool is going to be greatly affected by pipe design and other factors (ball bearing, front and rear exhaust seperated, a/r, etc)

Morfeus, my advice is don't let what everyone says "can't happen" stop you, just make sure you do your homework and research everything more than possible, and if you plan on running a larger sized turbo such as 60-1, be sure that your piping and setup will be able to spool it (not the typical piping designs you see for sale).

Best of luck
Old 06-10-2003, 07:10 PM
Ramius83

But, spool time also depends on the different trim sizes that are selected when you are ordering your turbo. If you ever decide to go with the T60, you will want a smaller exhaust side (turbine/AR) and a regular sized compressor. But, when the time comes to choosing, their are formulas and such for determining the exact trim sizes of each turbo to our engines....

Old 06-10-2003, 07:20 PM

shadow: assuming you can get a T60 to spool by 4500rpm which I see as more than possible with properly designed setup + turbo, and he is willing to live with that in trade for the power, I can't see why you couldn't street that car, or daily drive it whatever you like to call it. and then as your supra friend does, spray it if he decides to take it to the track and launch on slicks to kill the lag in 1st. That would create a mean car that is streetable. It's all in the design, getting it to spool. I think we can spool a T60 just as fast as some have spooled their T4's if it is done right..

It won't be the best for off-bottle redlight racing (or even on-bottle bc of traction ha) because of the lag in first gear, but what turbo maxima do we know of that is a redlight king? I think gsx/etc take that crown.. 2nd gear runs, interstate, etc - I see this as having huge potential.

just my thoughts.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:28 PM

I thought the T60 had a 60-1 trim.. I guess I was wrong....

Originally posted by Shadow
What he's trying to say is that a T60 is not going to work in the car. Much, much too big. The 60 trim turbo Nigel is running is not a T60. It's a T4 with a 60-1 trim. Very different than a T60.

And you can make your own kit, but it involves a lot more than just getting pipes and welding them together, much much more. Unless you have a friend that specializes in building turbo kits, you're better off buying a kit.

Old 06-10-2003, 08:05 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

point blank its been proven over and over that the optimal turbo for a 3.0L motor(with no major internal modification) is at least a T3, T3/T4 hybrid or T4 series...I think spending the money to get a T60 is pointless unless you only do high speed driving on highways all day or a wannabe dyno queen. even if he was using a direct bolt-on manifold the spool up would suck. stick with whats tried and true, popping on a T60 and saying "look I'm a pioneer" is a waste of time!
Old 06-10-2003, 08:20 PM

Thanks Man. I will keep that in mind...

Best of luck
Old 06-10-2003, 08:24 PM

Well i appreciate everyones input on turbo specifications. But my main question is aquiring pipings seperately without buying the whole Turbo Kit... Are their vendors able to custom make pipings for turbos???
Old 06-10-2003, 08:28 PM

Yes, if you find a local shop that does mandrel bends (very rare as the machine is almost $200K) then you can get the pipes done. But you will also have to get custom flanges cut and so on. It's alot of work, but it is possible.

My friend's shop makes turbo kits, so I know what is involved with it.

Well i appreciate everyones input on turbo specifications. But my main question is aquiring pipings seperately without buying the whole Turbo Kit... Are their vendors able to custom make pipings for turbos???
Old 06-10-2003, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by DA-MAX
even if he was using a direct bolt-on manifold the spool up would suck.
if your definition of suck is, potentially having less lag than some of the currently "produced" T4 turbo kits... then yeah I guess so.

If everyone had your attitude, we would never see any higher-hp maximas or anything better than what we currently have.

Yes they should be warned and DEFINATELY need to do their homework before jumping into anything like that, but to tell them it is a "waste of time" to take the maxima to the next level in power.. hmm, I think you are wasting our time. I'm all for seeing T60, T78, etc turbo's, heck I'm ready to see some real twin turbo setups, what our V6 is good for . The available turbo kits have become superchargers to me.. yes they add more power, but there is still something better in my opinion. But what do I know?
Old 06-10-2003, 08:31 PM

I don't believe you can buy just the premade pipings right now for a maxima. To add to shadow's comment on having the piping made, assuming you do not have a local mandrel shop, you can order the bends and have them fabricated to your needs. there is a good bit of work involved here, lots of test fitting.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:46 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

If everyone had your attitude, we would never see any higher-hp maximas or anything better than what we currently have.
yeah God forbid, you got me there! I mean I'm only helping to build one of these "higher-hp Maximas" you speak of, thats all...

http://www.fortunecity.com/silversto...urbo/index.htm
Old 06-10-2003, 08:49 PM

I made the entire turbo piping for my car, including IC and catback piping for $400 plus cat and muffler. All mandrel bends, all aluminized steel. It can be done, but I think you would be hard pressed to spool any huge turbos at a reasonable RPM without putting a turbo right off the manifold. my $.02
Old 06-10-2003, 08:52 PM

Did you supply the shop with your CAD drawings?

Originally posted by on_alert
I made the entire turbo piping for my car, including IC and catback piping for $400 plus cat and muffler. All mandrel bends, all aluminized steel. It can be done, but I think you would be hard pressed to spool any huge turbos at a reasonable RPM without putting a turbo right off the manifold. my $.02
Old 06-10-2003, 08:57 PM

No cad drawings (yet) i made it myself in my garage, it was peice by peice.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:06 PM

wow, so you bought mandrel bends and welded it all up yourself? mad props for that.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:09 PM

http://www.eng.buffalo.edu/~ctnewman/turbopics

im sure most people have seen these...
Old 06-10-2003, 10:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the 60-1 is a bit smaller than a T66 if i remember correctly. you can get a T3 turbine with a 60-1 compressor which would supply quite a bit of power. i think turbonetics has that setup, T3/60-1.