Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Turbo question

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 11:25 PM

Turbo question

Ok I own a 95 Maxima with 91,XXX miles. I was wondering is it worth getting a turbo for it? What would the problems be if any? All help appreciated it.

Mike
Old 06-23-2003, 07:45 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Start with a compression test and go from there...
Old 06-23-2003, 11:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Turbo question

Originally posted by MaximaGLE1
Ok I own a 95 Maxima with 91,XXX miles. I was wondering is it worth getting a turbo for it? What would the problems be if any? All help appreciated it.

Mike
a 95 max w/91k miles on it!!! The turbo kit will be almost as much as the car is worth! Does that answer your question? Oh and there the install costs, fuel managment sytem or apexis you'll need to get, gauges, fuel pump injectors, constant tuning.... May not be worth it man...

Deac
Old 06-23-2003, 01:53 PM
Ramius83

Re: Re: Turbo question

Originally posted by Deac

a 95 max w/91k miles on it!!! The turbo kit will be almost as much as the car is worth! Does that answer your question? Oh and there the install costs, fuel managment sytem or apexis you'll need to get, gauges, fuel pump injectors, constant tuning.... May not be worth it man...

Deac
DEAC: If the engine is in perfect shape and he ALREADY owns the car, what is the problem? I just finished paying off my 96, and she has over 170k on the odometer. The engine has no oil leaks and the compression ranges from 180-190, which is IDEAL for a new engine. And the oil analysis that Bill recommends came up PERFECT for what I have. So if the engine is fine, and he is not looking to sell the car, than it would be better to slap a turbo kit on it, rather than selling it and financing another car and making payments for another 4 years and not being able to afford a turbo kit afterwards.....

I say go for it if the conditions exist...

Old 06-23-2003, 08:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: Turbo question

Originally posted by Ramius83

DEAC: If the engine is in perfect shape and he ALREADY owns the car, what is the problem? I just finished paying off my 96, and she has over 170k on the odometer. The engine has no oil leaks and the compression ranges from 180-190, which is IDEAL for a new engine. And the oil analysis that Bill recommends came up PERFECT for what I have. So if the engine is fine, and he is not looking to sell the car, than it would be better to slap a turbo kit on it, rather than selling it and financing another car and making payments for another 4 years and not being able to afford a turbo kit afterwards.....

I say go for it if the conditions exist...

I never said he shouldnt do it, I just suggested that by the time its all said and done if he does get the turbo, he will probably end up spending more to hop the car up than what the car is actually worth.... he did ask if it was worth it. If you dont care about that then... you will DEFINATELY enjoy the turbo if you decide to get it!

Deac
Old 06-24-2003, 06:26 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Turbo question

Originally posted by Deac

I never said he shouldnt do it, I just suggested that by the time its all said and done if he does get the turbo, he will probably end up spending more to hop the car up than what the car is actually worth.... he did ask if it was worth it. If you dont care about that then... you will DEFINATELY enjoy the turbo if you decide to get it!

Deac
Yeah, I nearly responded to you earlier in the same way Ramius did until I remembered he asked if it was "worth it". I SC'ed my '95 Max when it had 120k miles on it. Was it worth it? Well, no, if you're talking about a return on investment (the worst way to spend money is car modding). But if you're talking about fun/$, the answer is oooooooohhhhh yeaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh.