Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Stillen Exhaust vs 5th Gen

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 09:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Stillen Exhaust vs 5th Gen

On a 4th gen Maxima, how does the 5th Gen SE Exhaust flow as compared to the 4th Gen Stillen Exhaust?

I'm considering getting rid of the Stillen because basically the drone is annoying as hell.

But if I'm going to have about the same flow as the 4th Gen stock exhaust or only a little better than the 4th Gen stock exhaust, then there's no point.

So has anyone ever compared or have any theories on the Stillen vs the 5th Gen exhaust?

Currently I have:
WSP Y-Pipe
WSP Straight Pipe
WSP B-Pipe Fix
Stillen Exhaust

I'm placing this in the Supercharged/Turbocharged Forum because obvioulsy exhaust under boost and exhaust NA are 2 different things.

Thanks!
IanS
Old 07-24-2003, 11:23 AM

Well depends on how much boost you are running, I still believe in straight through design to reduce any back pressure. I take for example MardisGras (yes this is an extreme example but still) who gained almost 60whp from the 3" exhaust he went to from having 2.5" mandrel with 5th gen muffler on the end. Obviously you aint gonna expect those type of gains, but i use that as an example of when you start boosting around 8-10psi, you want straight through to get the air out quickly and easily.

Dixit
Old 07-24-2003, 12:15 PM

I gained +19tq by adding just this Stillen Exhaust from the stock 4th gen exhaust.

I was hoping the 5th Gen was efficient enough that it didn't take alot of that away.

Since I added my straight-pipe the car sounds like a Civic, and basically I hate the drone and noise.

Maybe I should just give up on the power thing and just go all super-bling bling or something. Put like 80lbs of Dynamat, a fat stereo, 4 TV's, 20" uber heavy chrome, and GT-R Badges and a huge wing on it.
Old 07-24-2003, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by iansw
I gained +19tq by adding just this Stillen Exhaust from the stock 4th gen exhaust.
That's pretty good gains just from a muffler swap!
Old 07-24-2003, 04:21 PM
I'm needing a caw

I don't think the 5th gen muffler is the best flowing thing out there. It's quied and should flow better than stock but I believe it falls short of a straight though type(my guess only) I LOVE the tech and I predict it's the next fad for aftermarket mufflers(once the rice a roni's get tired of the BLAAAAAAAA sounds). One dude got one and opened up the inlet from 2.25" to 2.5" or so. Don't know if that makes any difference in performance. You are gonna have to search DAMN hard to find a good flowing muffer that's fairly quiet. You might have to go Borla or something.
Old 07-24-2003, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
I don't think the 5th gen muffler is the best flowing thing out there. It's quied and should flow better than stock but I believe it falls short of a straight though type(my guess only) I LOVE the tech and I predict it's the next fad for aftermarket mufflers(once the rice a roni's get tired of the BLAAAAAAAA sounds). One dude got one and opened up the inlet from 2.25" to 2.5" or so. Don't know if that makes any difference in performance. You are gonna have to search DAMN hard to find a good flowing muffer that's fairly quiet. You might have to go Borla or something.
Yeah - I was hoping against hope I guess.

So It's pretty much either stick with the Sitllen which is probably the loudest exhaust in existance, or get a Cattman or WSP 3" (when it's released) and be a little quieter, but not a whole lot.
Old 07-24-2003, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by Stephen Max

That's pretty good gains just from a muffler swap!
yeah - I was pretty suprised.
Old 07-25-2003, 12:26 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

I still don't see what all the hoopla over the 5th gen exhaust is all about. Only the muffler is different and it's purely for noise supression at low RPM. Otherwise, it's just a plain muffler. The B-pipe is crushed in at least two places restricting exhaust flow considerably.

Get a Flowmaster(Deltaflow) and a Budget B-pipe w/Magnaflow resonator for the best flow without too much noise. I'm not sure if Budget has a 3" B-pipe though, but maybe they'll make you one.
Old 07-25-2003, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by IceY2K1
I still don't see what all the hoopla over the 5th gen exhaust is all about. Only the muffler is different and it's purely for noise supression at low RPM. Otherwise, it's just a plain muffler. The B-pipe is crushed in at least two places restricting exhaust flow considerably.

Get a Flowmaster(Deltaflow) and a Budget B-pipe w/Magnaflow resonator for the best flow without too much noise. I'm not sure if Budget has a 3" B-pipe though, but maybe they'll make you one.
Which model for the Flowmaster?

This it:
FLO-943043 - 40 Series 3 in offset in/out muffler
(I don't remember if ours is offset or not)
Old 07-25-2003, 12:39 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Originally posted by iansw

Which model for the Flowmaster?

This it:
FLO-943043 - 40 Series 3 in offset in/out muffler
(I don't remember if ours is offset or not)
I know the inlet is offset and the exit is centered, but I'm not sure which side the offset needs to be. I'd check under the car first, but the muffler shop should be able to handle either.

I plan on getting the 9430402(center) or 9430412(offset) setup myself, but in the 50 or 60 series.