Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Q for high torque boosted ppl

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 02:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Q for high torque boosted ppl

So this is not exactly a forced induction question but I thought it might get the best and appropriate attention here.

So here is a picture of my clutch after being exposed to 400-500 lb-ft of torque. It's not pretty.

This picture is the organic side of the clutch, it is a JWT clutch with one side that is metal. My question is this, has anyone tried the two sided metal clutch? I think if I put another organic on it, it will get smoked like this again! My second part of this question is if I do put on a two sided metal clutch, will it just melt the aluminum flywheel? I have a Stillen that is in pretty bad shape right now. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2003, 05:08 AM

Hey this is off topic nigel, but all I got to say is DAMN good job on that one, guess im gonna go with a ACT stage 3 clutch or some crap when I get my stuff all together.
Old 08-02-2003, 07:46 AM

turbo97, as far as the flywheel melting I am unsure besides using the factory one.

clutch though.. I have mixed feelings on ACT street (NM1-HDMM).. originally I thought it was wonderful, felt nice, great to drive, grabs well. But the more power your make, the more I started wondering. After removing the tranny recently and checking the clutch out, it is pretty much gone with under 10,000 miles - which makes me think it is slipping just a litttle bit, all the time when I'm on it.. causing me to lose a small amount of power, not enough to notice - but enough to tear up the clutch badly (and hurt trap speeds, dynos, etc)

Anyways, I am now thinking ACT 4puck or 6puck.. interested to hear what you choose also.

How is your transmission, stock?
Old 08-02-2003, 10:30 AM

www.clutchnet.com

Six puck sprung hub w/ OE fly wheel. Working like a champ!
Old 08-02-2003, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax
www.clutchnet.com

Six puck sprung hub w/ OE fly wheel. Working like a champ!
very nice, thanks for the info. how long have you been using it, and how does it drive as far as normal driving?
Old 08-02-2003, 06:07 PM

Nigel, you going to stay with a full faced clutch or going with the pucks?
Old 08-02-2003, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by guestNX
very nice, thanks for the info. how long have you been using it, and how does it drive as far as normal driving?
Ive had it for ~40k. It does groan and chatter a bit, but I live with it. It only lets go at the track on the first burn out with slicks when its cold. Once its got it has never let go! Like a champ!
Old 08-02-2003, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by Synki
Nigel, you going to stay with a full faced clutch or going with the pucks?
Hey Synki, how's it going bud? Long time no hear! Well I haven't decided yet, but I am leaning towards pucks. The only thing I am concerned about is driveability.

Mardi, did you get a clutchnet pressure plate too? How's the general feel? Is it much heavier than stock or about the same? I am used to chatter since the JWT chattered quite a bit I am pretty sure a puck design would work better with an aluminum flywheel than a metal one would. I wonder how the tranny will hold though, does it gra a lot harder... I suppose it won't be quite as bad as unsprung. Thanks for the recommendation. Did you buy direct from them?
Old 08-03-2003, 02:17 AM
Jer

Holy crap! Remind me to stay away from JWT when I get my Z
Old 08-03-2003, 08:57 AM

Ummm I am not bad-mouthing JWT here. Just in this particular case, the single-sided metal clutch face does not hold well for my application. Perhaps the dual sided would work better.

Originally posted by Jer
Holy crap! Remind me to stay away from JWT when I get my Z
Old 08-03-2003, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by turbo97SE
Mardi, did you get a clutchnet pressure plate too? How's the general feel? Is it much heavier than stock or about the same? I am used to chatter since the JWT chattered quite a bit I am pretty sure a puck design would work better with an aluminum flywheel than a metal one would. I wonder how the tranny will hold though, does it gra a lot harder... I suppose it won't be quite as bad as unsprung. Thanks for the recommendation. Did you buy direct from them?
Yes, PP also. Feel is lighter than ACT, but heavier than OE.

My theory behind the OE steel fly wheel is that the momentum it carries makes the engagement less harsh, becuase the clutch discs cant grab it as fast. A lighter fly wheel will have less momentum and will grab quicker. Its a theory, but makes sense to me.

It grabs easier than an ACT HDMM, but it holds. Read their specs, its "made for slipage and ease of drive train". It is made to absorb shock and slip just a little on engagement.

Yes directly from clutchnet.

T4/60 should be back to you this week. I would like to know a bit more about costs of upgrades. I will hit you with an e-mail later.

M
Old 08-05-2003, 09:36 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Re: Q for high torque boosted ppl

Originally posted by turbo97SE
I think if I put another organic on it, it will get smoked like this again! Any recommendations?

Thanks!
JWT only recommends that clutch for up to 300hp(FLYWHEEL!). SCC put the same clutch in their SR20DET S13 with 275lb-ft of wheel torque and they destroyed it after a burnout at the track.

With the power you're putting down, I wouldn't use another single side organic clutch, however the JWT "Stage 3" 2-sided metal clutch sounds like a bad choice for street car duty.

Exedy seems to make great clutches, so what about the "cerametallic"(ceramic/metal) single plate clutch #06950A?

http://www.coximport.com/store/06950A
Old 08-20-2003, 11:19 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

on the www.clutchnet.com clutch durability. I'm not sure which model I saw tore apart this last weekend, but it looked AWESOME for holding 300+whp for multiple Rally events.

BTW, here is the SCC article on the JWT clutch I would NOT buy again if I were you: http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/pr...cc_projslivia/
Old 08-21-2003, 07:24 AM

Thanks! I actually decided and ordered the clutchnet a few days ago. It should be coming soon!

Originally posted by IceY2K1
on the www.clutchnet.com clutch durability. I'm not sure which model I saw tore apart this last weekend, but it looked AWESOME for holding 300+whp for multiple Rally events.

BTW, here is the SCC article on the JWT clutch I would NOT buy again if I were you: http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/pr...cc_projslivia/