Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

10PSI Supercharged max vs Baggs533 Turbo yes sirrrrr we had to test them out

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 08:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

10PSI Supercharged max vs Baggs533 Turbo yes sirrrrr we had to test them out

Today baggs came over to borrow the fuel gauge to see where he stood for fuel. Went out came back was way too rich. swapped out to a 6:1 disc and put a smile on his face. Tonight myself mike, and this Supra guy who disappeared we know why , while we were on some guys land who owns lots of land and has paved road in his back yard.

round 1: dead stop baggs pulls so hard I cant catch up to him

round 2: roll he pulls on me again thats the turbo

round 3: I somewhat pull on him

Front yard pit stop something is wrong with my car the VI was not opening baggs fixed that.

round 3: I pull on baggs

round 4: baggs pulls on me

round 5: he pulls on me, I pull on him, he pulls on me, I pull on him, by my fifth gear we are neck and neck.

I dont know what PSI he is at but I think hes at 6PSI, I am illerate when it comes to turbos all I know is that torque is there with turbo. I am a fully modded 5 speed while hes a automatic<---------
Old 08-16-2003, 09:03 PM
Ramius83

I think that he is hitting somewhere between 6-8 psi of boost, depending on the gear. I rode with him a few times today and that is what I saw. His car is quick, even for an automatic, that thing FLIES......

Old 08-16-2003, 09:10 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Hopefully he was at 8psi. The fast spooling boost/torque is what got you. Not to mention he is auto so all he has to do is mash the throttle while you have to launch a spin-happy 5spd.

Did you ever race from a 40mph roll? You shoulda gotten him there.
Old 08-16-2003, 09:13 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack
Hopefully he was at 8psi. The fast spooling boost/torque is what got you. Not to mention he is auto so all he has to do is mash the throttle while you have to launch a spin-happy 5spd.

We did a run from 40 and I pull hard but hes right at my tail and the higher the speed he is right next to me. Eric I dont know about the spike thing but there was more then two occasions where he was gone.
Old 08-16-2003, 09:42 PM

YOU were out w/ the red supra and the lexus dude? I saw those 2 on barrett tonite but not you and bags....
Old 08-16-2003, 10:31 PM

Erik

You need to get your car up and running! It would be interesting to see how yours does!

No videos? I would love to have seen this! Jay ... switching to the dark side? ...

How did the Supra do ... or need I ask?
Old 08-16-2003, 11:15 PM

Originally posted by turbo97SE
Erik

You need to get your car up and running! It would be interesting to see how yours does!

No videos? I would love to have seen this! Jay ... switching to the dark side? ...

How did the Supra do ... or need I ask?
The supra guy dipped with a female, we didnt race each other. Video we did not have one, we did not know we were going to do that. Erics car leaking fluid, I believe he did not get the round part of the seal seated properly.
Old 08-17-2003, 06:44 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

I am @ 7-8 PSI.

Jay's car was no trunning correctly so the first runs IMHO, do not count.

The last few runs I did jump the horn once.

There was 3 different times where there was NOTHING I could do to catch him.

And at x40 mph he was walking me down when I had the lead.

So IMHO I still think jay's car is faster.

But I can tell you right now, the TQ after my shift is better than his. BUT his 5500+ rpm HP is MUCH better than mine

But I had fun and that's what it is all about...

AND there was a M roadster earlier that got an a$$ spanking by me...lol.. he was a cool guy looked shocked but gave me the peace sign and smiled big

And I am trying to turn jaime

And on the supra he has a single and pushes 450-500 HP according to a mutual friend.

he did show up and did want to race jaime and I
Old 08-17-2003, 08:21 AM

Good to see good sportsmanship. I hate it when people get all defensive and pi$$y! Win or lose, it's all fun! ... I like that! ... better to win though LOL

Originally posted by bags533
I am @ 7-8 PSI.

Jay's car was no trunning correctly so the first runs IMHO, do not count.

The last few runs I did jump the horn once.

There was 3 different times where there was NOTHING I could do to catch him.

And at x40 mph he was walking me down when I had the lead.

So IMHO I still think jay's car is faster.

But I can tell you right now, the TQ after my shift is better than his. BUT his 5500+ rpm HP is MUCH better than mine

But I had fun and that's what it is all about...

AND there was a M roadster earlier that got an a$$ spanking by me...lol.. he was a cool guy looked shocked but gave me the peace sign and smiled big

And I am trying to turn jaime

And on the supra he has a single and pushes 450-500 HP according to a mutual friend.

Old 08-17-2003, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by turbo97SE
Good to see good sportsmanship. I hate it when people get all defensive and pi$$y! Win or lose, it's all fun! ... I like that! ... better to win though LOL

We dont fight, our attitudes are too laxed for that, we are too busy thinking about other things. I am happy hes happy he sees the difference and I see the difference in his car. He went thru some stuff getting bugs worked out and so did I. from a dead stop hes gone, I cant catch him, is like racing a mustang that does not run out of breath thats about the best way to describe when he takes off, that torque owns me.
Old 08-17-2003, 09:08 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Nigel,

Jaime is my friend.. and it is fun and NO matter what I do there will always be someone faster than me. Hopefully I know them so I can tease them a little..

But fun is what it is all about
Old 08-17-2003, 09:39 AM

Man, I missed out on all the hard core go fasts! Hell, I need a Maxima first before I can even think of gettin boost
Old 08-17-2003, 09:45 AM

im back in GA peoples...next time theres racing let me know...i wanna see first hand.

Old 08-17-2003, 10:19 AM

Just kidding man! I agree ... it's al fun! .Jaime is , he's helped me a lot!

Nigel,

Jaime is my friend.. and it is fun and NO matter what I do there will always be someone faster than me. Hopefully I know them so I can tease them a little..

But fun is what it is all about
Old 08-17-2003, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by Method Max
Man, I missed out on all the hard core go fasts! Hell, I need a Maxima first before I can even think of gettin boost

Baggs is taken over Barret our next adventure will probably be that sweet red Supra, were going to call him up again since he disappeared briefly, Methodman/max biscuit lover pedal yo **** out there and youll probably see baggs.
Old 08-17-2003, 12:00 PM
Jer

round 6 : the VQ30's explode in giant self-destructive fireballs after asking their owners' to "please stop hurting me!" from rounds 1-5

Sorry, couldn't resist
Old 08-17-2003, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by Jer
round 6 : the VQ30's explode in giant self-destructive fireballs after asking their owners' to &quot;please stop hurting me!&quot; from rounds 1-5

Sorry, couldn't resist
thats a negative, we try to prevent that from happening we are both not done modding
Old 08-17-2003, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by JAY25

Methodman/max biscuit lover pedal yo **** out there and youll probably see bags.

Oh you KNOW I'll be there
Old 08-17-2003, 04:05 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

it's ok craig .. he did win some.. our cars are just kinda close to each other

So when you coming this way?

And mash the throttle???

I brake TQ from a stop.. wheel spin is my enemy as well OR a very slow launch. and Brake BOOST from a roll
Old 08-17-2003, 04:49 PM

So when you coming this way?
I think the georgia/florida boys should have a huge meet sometime, I think it would be cool meeting all of you guys. Then you can hear the spectacular symphony of my flowmaster dualies as I pull away from you.

And mash the throttle???

I brake TQ from a stop.. wheel spin is my enemy as well OR a very slow launch. and Brake BOOST from a roll
Well yea, I guess your right. The 1st gear on the auto is superlong, but when you start hitting boost right after take off, I guess wheelspin is a problem.

Bags, you've driven Jay's car right? How would you compare the power at 3000rpm? Would you still consider Jay's car fast at those RPMs? Comparing overall acceleration, does Jay's car feel slower then yours? Does the "linear" boost curve of his SC put you to sleep? I wanna know everything you have to offer, as I am a jealous biyatch of your bountiful flow of torque.
Old 08-17-2003, 05:07 PM

Yummy turbo TQ, I cant wait!
Old 08-17-2003, 05:13 PM

I think the georgia/florida boys should have a huge meet sometime, I think it would be cool meeting all of you guys. Then you can hear the spectacular symphony of my flowmaster dualies as I pull away from you.

Well yea, I guess your right. The 1st gear on the auto is superlong, but when you start hitting boost right after take off, I guess wheelspin is a problem.

Bags, you've driven Jay's car right? How would you compare the power at 3000rpm? Would you still consider Jay's car fast at those RPMs? Comparing overall acceleration, does Jay's car feel slower then yours? Does the &quot;linear&quot; boost curve of his SC put you to sleep? I wanna know everything you have to offer, as I am a jealous biyatch of your bountiful flow of torque.

from a close comparison, from a roll, my engine revs up very fast spooling my stuff up and I get up and go, but baggs it is about 2-4 seconds and his at full boost while I am at probably 7PSI he hits 7PSI bang right there. To help me spool up, I still need a SAFC 2, and some injectors and Ill go and hook up the full blue bottle thats been catching dust in my basement for 4 months. That should help me a little. He has a intercooler and that helps alot and thats great for torque.
Old 08-17-2003, 05:42 PM

Jay, what about inter/aftercooladge for you? In the hot states such as FL, TX, and GA the heat kills our superchargers. You would see huge gains from an air-water intercooler/aftercooler.
Old 08-17-2003, 05:51 PM

I am @ 7-8 PSI.

What color was the M-Roadster and what did the driver look like? Cuz i have a friend who has one and he is Race Happy but is a really cool guy.
Old 08-17-2003, 06:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i can't wait to see your setup matt, i know you will blow us all out of the water.

not to brag, but from what i felt in your two cars and eric's car from a roll, i honestly think mine would walk on the two of you because of the gearing of a 5spd, eric and i would probably sit 1 or 2 lengths away. there is not a doubt in my mind that the two of you would blow my doors off from a stop (automagic and an experienced driver).

if only i had some more time and some bigger ***** to push my car to the limits, ill try and get a few quick runs in before i leave with you guys.

damn supercharger keeps getting owned by turbos, thats the great thing about turbos is the immediate boost.
Old 08-17-2003, 06:28 PM

Originally posted by thebigsadler

damn supercharger keeps getting owned by turbos, thats the great thing about turbos is the immediate boost.
That's the weird thing...usually when people think of superchargers they think instant boost, and when they think turbo they think "lag". If the V1 was a roots type it would own all turbo's.

I am gonna ***** myself to get a roots blower made for our cars.
Old 08-17-2003, 06:37 PM

i can't wait to see your setup matt, i know you will blow us all out of the water.

not to brag, but from what i felt in your two cars and eric's car from a roll, i honestly think mine would walk on the two of you because of the gearing of a 5spd, eric and i would probably sit 1 or 2 lengths away. there is not a doubt in my mind that the two of you would blow my doors off from a stop (automagic and an experienced driver).

if only i had some more time and some bigger ***** to push my car to the limits, ill try and get a few quick runs in before i leave with you guys.

when are you leaving? you can test out your turbo theres about 4 of us now, 2 boosted maximas, GS400 and a Supra.
Old 08-17-2003, 06:51 PM

leave this week sometime, depending on the chrome shop, car will be down and as soon as it is up and running it gets dyno tuned and then driven back south..

i'm too nervous to drive it yet without chrome or tuning.. which ever is more important.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:18 PM

leave this week sometime, depending on the chrome shop, car will be down and as soon as it is up and running it gets dyno tuned and then driven back south..

i'm too nervous to drive it yet without chrome or tuning.. which ever is more important.
what PSI are you going to running with that turbo 8-10?
Old 08-17-2003, 08:01 PM
Ramius83

But remember, I was only doing 4 psi when you met up with me. Now I am up to 6-7 psi, and it feels MUCH better. And also, I now have the 8:1 disk in there and not the 12:1. So, still want to talk????????? j/k.

Also, remember to call Grand Muffler tomorrow and see what they can do for both you AND I. Thanks again.

Old 08-17-2003, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by Ramius83

But remember, I was only doing 4 psi when you met up with me. Now I am up to 6-7 psi, and it feels MUCH better. And also, I now have the 8:1 disk in there and not the 12:1. So, still want to talk????????? j/k.

Also, remember to call Grand Muffler tomorrow and see what they can do for both you AND I. Thanks again.
well when you get a free moment drive your happy *** out here and give me another ride, i will be having yet again so more down time to make all of this stuff nice and pretty as you know but i'd love another run with your car at full 7psi with the 8:1 disk.

When will you be getting out of the shop for the main seal?

I will be calling grand tomorrow and getting pricing and time estimates, if they are all booked up at the end of this week I am screwed.

And I am only running 6-7psi jamie.

jason
Old 08-17-2003, 08:51 PM

Nice runs guys. I wish I was there to witness it. Almost make me want to get a turbo.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:49 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally posted by MoDiddy

What color was the M-Roadster and what did the driver look like? Cuz i have a friend who has one and he is Race Happy but is a really cool guy.

It was red.. it was the hardtop one
Old 08-18-2003, 07:57 AM

That's the weird thing...usually when people think of superchargers they think instant boost, and when they think turbo they think &quot;lag&quot;. If the V1 was a roots type it would own all turbo's.

I am gonna ***** myself to get a roots blower made for our cars.
I think there may be a little confusion here. If you take a SC'ed car and mash the throttle at 3000 rpm, you get immediate boost. The boost is immediate because the blower is pumping air when the engine is at 3000 rpm. But that boost is only a couple of psi because the blower rpm is low. Because of the direct coupling to the engine, the boost builds with engine rpm until you get full boost at redline.

On the other hand, with a TC'ed car, when you mash the throttle at 3000 rpm you do not get the instantaneous response that you get from a SC because it takes a perceptible amount of time for the exhaust gas pressure to spool up the turbine. But because the compressor is not constrained to spin at a fixed multiple of engine speed, it is able to spool up to high speed and develop full boost at a much lower rpm than a SC'ed car.

The turbo lag is influenced by the size of the turbo and the a/r ratio and the mass of the turbine and compressor wheel. A turbo that is sized well for a particular engine will have minimal lag time, but it is still there. But the lag time is more than made up for by the ability to develop a lot of boost at a much lower rpm than a centrifugal SC is capable of producing.

It is true that a roots type SC will develop full boost at a much lower rpm than a centrifugal SC, but the efficiency of a roots blower is typically only about 50%, meaning you're going to get hotter air than a centrifugal blower that runs at 70% efficiency, and hotter air can't make the power of cooler air, so you end up chasing your tail a bit. For a high revving engine like the VQ, I think a centrifugal SC is a better choice (although it's true that recent advances in twin screw blowers have significantly increased their efficiency). If it's torque you're after, go with a turbo setup. I don't see how any SC setup can produce the power under the curve that a well-suited turbo can, at least until a variable-speed drive for the SC blower is perfected.
Old 08-18-2003, 08:01 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

You know you'll be jealous of my 4 inch fart can muffler and yeah maybe like meet in J-ville or something

Bags, you've driven Jay's car right? How would you compare the power at 3000rpm? Would you still consider Jay's car fast at those RPMs? Comparing overall acceleration, does Jay's car feel slower then yours? Does the &quot;linear&quot; boost curve of his SC put you to sleep? I wanna know everything you have to offer, as I am a jealous biyatch of your bountiful flow of torque.
Honestly jay's car feels faster than mine.. not put you to sleep. The tire spin in the 1-2 shift will wake you up.

Mine when at 2/3 or WOT thorttle just pushes you back in the seat.

Jay's car IS fast, not matter what rpm.

If this makes sense, we both have very similar cars in power. It is 2 diferent places. And with me being an auto, there is a difference there.

Mine is off the line and @ my shift. With my longer gearing I can stay in the gear loner, but Jay's HP wins that hands down, but at my shift My TQ takes over for that.

Again when I was in front, if we raced long enough jay would pass me. He was walking me down when I was in 4th gear @ WOT

Jason, we can hook you up with a few other chioces, we know the supra guys so maybe we could work something out

And I'll be your test dummy

cumalot, I will just and say not matter what I don't think you could shock me. Your so unpredictiable, I have no thought or guesses of what you may do next
Old 08-18-2003, 09:17 AM

If this makes sense, we both have very similar cars in power. It is 2 diferent places. And with me being an auto, there is a difference there.

Mine is off the line and @ my shift. With my longer gearing I can stay in the gear loner, but Jay's HP wins that hands down, but at my shift My TQ takes over for that.

Again when I was in front, if we raced long enough jay would pass me. He was walking me down when I was in 4th gear @ WOT

Jason, we can hook you up with a few other chioces, we know the supra guys so maybe we could work something out

And I'll be your test dummy

cumalot, I will just and say not matter what I don't think you could shock me. Your so unpredictiable, I have no thought or guesses of what you may do next

if cumalot shocks you with a turbo kit, can I call Dibs on that kit , I mean I dont mind owning a turbo now adays
Old 08-18-2003, 10:37 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

baggs

I'm wondering if it's your auto or manual boost control valve's turbo spool-up causing the lag.

What psi are you hitting by 3000rpm? Have you checked out Hallman manual boost controllers?

Man...I would have LOVED to see the battle of the FI VQs.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:44 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

gaaad damn i miss atlanta!!!
Old 08-18-2003, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by Stephen Max

I think there may be a little confusion here. If you take a SC'ed car and mash the throttle at 3000 rpm, you get immediate boost. The boost is immediate because the blower is pumping air when the engine is at 3000 rpm. But that boost is only a couple of psi because the blower rpm is low. Because of the direct coupling to the engine, the boost builds with engine rpm until you get full boost at redline.

On the other hand, with a TC'ed car, when you mash the throttle at 3000 rpm you do not get the instantaneous response that you get from a SC because it takes a perceptible amount of time for the exhaust gas pressure to spool up the turbine. But because the compressor is not constrained to spin at a fixed multiple of engine speed, it is able to spool up to high speed and develop full boost at a much lower rpm than a SC'ed car.

The turbo lag is influenced by the size of the turbo and the a/r ratio and the mass of the turbine and compressor wheel. A turbo that is sized well for a particular engine will have minimal lag time, but it is still there. But the lag time is more than made up for by the ability to develop a lot of boost at a much lower rpm than a centrifugal SC is capable of producing.

It is true that a roots type SC will develop full boost at a much lower rpm than a centrifugal SC, but the efficiency of a roots blower is typically only about 50%, meaning you're going to get hotter air than a centrifugal blower that runs at 70% efficiency, and hotter air can't make the power of cooler air, so you end up chasing your tail a bit. For a high revving engine like the VQ, I think a centrifugal SC is a better choice (although it's true that recent advances in twin screw blowers have significantly increased their efficiency). If it's torque you're after, go with a turbo setup. I don't see how any SC setup can produce the power under the curve that a well-suited turbo can, at least until a variable-speed drive for the SC blower is perfected.

Great post. I was aware already however that any SC will deliver instant boost, I should have worded it different. Becuase we, in a sense, get "lag" from RPM dependant boost. Take this for instance: You have Jay's car and Baggs car at whatever PSI rolling from 40mph. From a driving/passanger experience of both cars, when the car is downshifted, and you take off, Jay's car will have that extra initial "kick" and will feel significantly faster then Baggs car for a second, until his boost kicks in. Is that right? I can't judge becuase i've only driven supercharged cars, so I guess i'm spoiled to the initial boost kick.

Steve, regarding the variable speed drive, is that something that is currently in development by Vortech? Is it something we could install into our V1/V2's? It sounds intriguing...
Old 08-18-2003, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by nismo2020
gaaad damn i miss atlanta!!!

where you been man?

your boy wooped you yet w/that MEVI installed?

Quick Reply: 10PSI Supercharged max vs Baggs533 Turbo yes sirrrrr we had to test them out